Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question for Homeschoolers!! Need Advice!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I am a certified elementary school teacher with a masters in literacy and a gifted certification. I just recently left public school teaching after 13 years because I strongly disagree about many issues and could no longer be a part. I am very supportive of homeschooling and think it is a very noble thing for parents who are making many sacrifices for their kids!

I am starting a new business tutoring in my community...I am also going to be a resource for homeschool families and groups. I am offering planning assistance, assistance teaching difficult concepts, homework help, substitute teaching, as well as teaching small groups special interest classes, such as art, enrichment, book clubs, listening skills, etc.

Is this something you would want as a homeschoolers? Are there other areas of need homeschooling communities need?? I really appreciate honest feedback!!

Thank you,

Melanie Kross
💫💫🌟🙈👼7⃣
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
all2gethernow
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Umm this is a group for homeschoolers. You're trying to basically sell us something, if not just an idea. We gave you our opinions, which were not want you wanted to hear, so you attack us???
This is OUR group- the ones who sacrifice and run the trenches every single day to provide what we believe is best. OUR opinion is what matters here, this is OUR group! That's why we are here.
Take yourself over to confessions if you want to act like this-accusing and calling people names-how dare you come in here and talk to these ladies this way???? This is a group for homeschoolers to support and know each other-not be bashed. Incredible. Absolutely incredible.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM
6 moms liked this

You have to understand, that those of us who have been at this awhile have seen many of these kinds of offers and more often than not it turns out to be a scam of some sort.  We aren't trying to personally attack you, it's just that most of these veterans learned early on not to trust anyone who says "I'm from the public school and I'm here to help". Yes, we are very leary of public school mindset and avoid it like the plague. It generally turns into a homeschooling bash fest. Sorry if we're gun-shy, but if you really want to help, don't start off listing your public school credentials. That's the quickest way to alienate most homeschoolers. This is just a word of advice and not an attack. You seem to be very sensitive about that.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

I am sorry you experienced that here. I will encourage you to continue. I am new to homeschooling and experienced teacher like you will greatly help someone like me if you were in my area. I need help with planning, organizing, teaching strategies and etc. I am currently reading the book "Teaching Students with Mild and Moderate Disabilities, Research-Based Practices. I am receiving advices from my brother who's a teacher in Alabama. It will be nice if we have someone like you around. I am a business mgt major, so teaching is not my line but I don't have a choice.

You are right. My son had a wonderful special education teacher on top of being extremely patient with him.  It's not her that made me homeschool. For me, the one size fits all curriculum will not work for my son and also too much activities around him.Thank you for thinking of helping some of us.

Quoting MelanieKross:

Wow...Everyone has told me that people that homeschool are very defensive and rude, pardon me for asking if there is a need for a substitute or a helping hand...There is no need to insult public school teachers.  Some of us are wonderful people who give our hearts and sould to kids you don't want your around.  "Unlearning" public school teaching methods is a little extreme...I'm not sure where you taught...lol.  For those of you who were polite, thanks!  I will stick to my tutoring business, and be glad I'm not involved with some of you...:)

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

oredeb
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

hi melanie, i wouldnt be interested in the tutoring, planning assistance, assistance teaching difficult concepts,(work them out along with the kids)  homework help(we have no homework) substitute teaching, (we hs  dont need sub teachers!), but

maybe if it was some kinda co op type thing for homeschoolers(like you said special interest classes, small),  reasonably priced, and had a lot of resources for hsers, like a library, curr, things we could look at, buy even (used curr, books) private tutoring for certain subjects, field trips, you could offer homeschool seminars, used book sales, also help with understanding the states homeschool law(a phone number that could be called for help) keep up on all the homeschool stuff going on, some kinda clubs for the kids, baseball team, creative writing,

if you havent already maybe visit some homeschool groups in your area to get a feel of what the moms would like, talk to some moms,

good luck in your new business!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM
4 moms liked this

Leissaintexas gives a lot of insight into why you received the reaction you did instead of a worm welcome.  The Department of Education (and many teachers) have looked down on home educators, and have even tried to transform us into the image and likeness of the Public School System, which you said you were unhappy with...we are too.   We spend a lot of  money and time preventing what happened in P.S.  from happening to home schools. But they keep coming at us again and again..

It did sound a bit like a sales pitch, but we best not  judge you too quickly.  If you are truly interested in the kids, you will take the time to learn some things from the veteran home school moms.  Ask questions, and we will do our best to answer.  But a picture is worth a thousand words, and that is why I recommended attending some home school events. It is amazing what home educators have created over the years.

You will soon learn that home educators have become very self sufficient, and you will also discover that most home educated kids out perform public schooled children on ACT, and in college.  The U.S. once had the best education in the world, but is now ranked in the middle.  That is not your fault, but we guard against home education becoming like public school. 

Again I extend a warm welcome to you, and please be understanding of the reaction you received.  We will try to understand you too...as long as you don't try to change us, or underestimate our abilities :-) .

Quoting Leissaintexas:

You have to understand, that those of us who have been at this awhile have seen many of these kinds of offers and more often than not it turns out to be a scam of some sort.  We aren't trying to personally attack you, it's just that most of these veterans learned early on not to trust anyone who says "I'm from the public school and I'm here to help". Yes, we are very leary of public school mindset and avoid it like the plague. It generally turns into a homeschooling bash fest. Sorry if we're gun-shy, but if you really want to help, don't start off listing your public school credentials. That's the quickest way to alienate most homeschoolers. This is just a word of advice and not an attack. You seem to be very sensitive about that.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure there are many that would. But not me.   I was a high school drop out but was able to successfully home educate all my children (down to my last one now). I just taught myself and loved learning. Tried to instill the same love of learning in the children.  When they saw that I studied just for the joy of learning it rubbed off.  :-)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting MelanieKross:

Wow...Everyone has told me that people that homeschool are very defensive and rude, pardon me for asking if there is a need for a substitute or a helping hand...There is no need to insult public school teachers.  Some of us are wonderful people who give our hearts and sould to kids you don't want your around.  "Unlearning" public school teaching methods is a little extreme...I'm not sure where you taught...lol.  For those of you who were polite, thanks!  I will stick to my tutoring business, and be glad I'm not involved with some of you...:)

I'm going to go ahead and believe that this one was directed toward me.  Since you did not quote anyone, it makes it difficult to understand to whom you are responding.  But a few of those lines look as though they may be directed toward my comments about unlearning the public school methods.  There is a huge difference between the methods I used to teach the 30 kids in the classrooms where all the kids are at least at the same age level and now where my children are years apart in age and level and only 3 of them.  I was not rude.  You asked a question and my response is mainly that you would need experience in the homeschooling arena.  I never said I didn't want my kids around public schoolers or public school teachers.  I said that in order for you to be helpful and actually get paid for your services, you would need to do some student teaching as it were in the homeschooling sector.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM
4 moms liked this

I did see where you (OP) seemed to think home educators only was able to do so because they could afford it. LOL  Sorry, but that is funny.  Most that I know really have to be careful. They like myself did without many, many things in order to home educate!  I have been a stay at home mom since I was 17 yrs old and there were many (and I mean many) times that we had to be very careful just to be able to pay bills (they were late often) but being home and protecting and teaching our children was that important to us.  For several yrs we lived on 900.00 a month and that was when we still had several kids at home!  So no, it is not because we can afford to stay at home and home educate it is just because we love our kids that much!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Hi Melanie! Welcome. :) I'm so glad that you joined the group.

If I could afford services such as what you are offering, I might consider taking you up on one or two of them' Or at least I would have back when I first started homeschooling. The fact that you are a public school teacher coming away from that scene would be a plus but we might have an issue or two if you were to perhaps try doing something in a public school way. Just because I know first hand the hell that homeschoolers have had to go through to gain the little respect that we have now. barring that, what you are offering could be a big help to new homeschooling families and those families that are looking to branch out a little.
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I don't mean to distract from the topic of this post, but I am curious about the unlearning you had to do.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sorry, but I agree with the others.  I was also a public school teacher and it was fairly difficult to unlearn all the training I had.  I would not be willing to bring in someone who would also need to go through that process.  I would not mind having a public school teacher sit in on our co-op in order to go through that process in the hopes of tutoring later.  But I would not expect to pay for it.  It would be a kind of student teaching type of activity.  It is more difficult to make the jump than you may think.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN