Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for Homeschoolers!! Need Advice!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I am a certified elementary school teacher with a masters in literacy and a gifted certification. I just recently left public school teaching after 13 years because I strongly disagree about many issues and could no longer be a part. I am very supportive of homeschooling and think it is a very noble thing for parents who are making many sacrifices for their kids!

I am starting a new business tutoring in my community...I am also going to be a resource for homeschool families and groups. I am offering planning assistance, assistance teaching difficult concepts, homework help, substitute teaching, as well as teaching small groups special interest classes, such as art, enrichment, book clubs, listening skills, etc.

Is this something you would want as a homeschoolers? Are there other areas of need homeschooling communities need?? I really appreciate honest feedback!!

Thank you,

Melanie Kross
💫💫🌟🙈👼7⃣
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM
4 moms liked this

At first I wanted them to sit at a desk and learn like I did.  I set up my classroom like a school classroom with a "computer station," a desk for each child, a big whiteboard at the front. 
I felt that I needed a textbook for each class; when in reality there are better methods for teaching vocabulary, phonics, spelling, and grammar than a textbook with kill and drill.  We are now down to 2 desks and 2 computers (for all 4 of us).  We spend most of our time on the couch, the floor, and running around than we do at desks. 
While teaching, Video was a dirty word!!  Now I know that for some learning styles it works very well. 
I've also learned that my reponse time is much faster when teaching fewer kids.  So I don't need to teach them for 6 hours/day.  I can respond to their uncertainty or find a better way to explain it much faster. 
I learned to stop giving grades.  When they get above 87%, we move on.  They don't need a grade and I don't need them to take a test in order for me to figure out they have or don't have something.
I learned that it is okay to have my kids teach or help each other.  I tried that my first few years teaching in the PSs, and I would end up having to teach it again because the group didn't understand it well enough to teach it in the first place.  But now, my oldest has had the lesson before, so it is a great review for him to teach it to his brothers.  Then I can build on it and go deeper with him.
I learned that my general objectives were great, but if I made my specific objectives even more specific, I was able to use them as discussion questions and move on without a test.  Also my objectives were a great jumping off point for finding books and materials.  In the PS, the materials were usually the jumping off point for making my objectives.  Looking at it from the flipped perspective opens up learning to a world experience.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I don't mean to distract from the topic of this post, but I am curious about the unlearning you had to do.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sorry, but I agree with the others.  I was also a public school teacher and it was fairly difficult to unlearn all the training I had.  I would not be willing to bring in someone who would also need to go through that process.  I would not mind having a public school teacher sit in on our co-op in order to go through that process in the hopes of tutoring later.  But I would not expect to pay for it.  It would be a kind of student teaching type of activity.  It is more difficult to make the jump than you may think.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Very neat!

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

another way to help the homeschoolers melanie, i dont know what your homeschool law is but if its one where you have to test the kids, well offerning testing for hsers would be a big help also

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I wouldn't use your services but I know of homeschoolers in our aria that would use them.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

bluerooffarm, what you said here is now more important than ever.  Home school is growing faster than ever, and that alone can move home education away  from what veteran home educators have worked so hard to build.  I was wondering if you might post a new thread going into more detail about what you have said here.  I would like to share it with others.  What do you say?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

At first I wanted them to sit at a desk and learn like I did.  I set up my classroom like a school classroom with a "computer station," a desk for each child, a big whiteboard at the front. 
I felt that I needed a textbook for each class; when in reality there are better methods for teaching vocabulary, phonics, spelling, and grammar than a textbook with kill and drill.  We are now down to 2 desks and 2 computers (for all 4 of us).  We spend most of our time on the couch, the floor, and running around than we do at desks. 
While teaching, Video was a dirty word!!  Now I know that for some learning styles it works very well. 
I've also learned that my reponse time is much faster when teaching fewer kids.  So I don't need to teach them for 6 hours/day.  I can respond to their uncertainty or find a better way to explain it much faster. 
I learned to stop giving grades.  When they get above 87%, we move on.  They don't need a grade and I don't need them to take a test in order for me to figure out they have or don't have something.
I learned that it is okay to have my kids teach or help each other.  I tried that my first few years teaching in the PSs, and I would end up having to teach it again because the group didn't understand it well enough to teach it in the first place.  But now, my oldest has had the lesson before, so it is a great review for him to teach it to his brothers.  Then I can build on it and go deeper with him.
I learned that my general objectives were great, but if I made my specific objectives even more specific, I was able to use them as discussion questions and move on without a test.  Also my objectives were a great jumping off point for finding books and materials.  In the PS, the materials were usually the jumping off point for making my objectives.  Looking at it from the flipped perspective opens up learning to a world experience.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I don't mean to distract from the topic of this post, but I am curious about the unlearning you had to do.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sorry, but I agree with the others.  I was also a public school teacher and it was fairly difficult to unlearn all the training I had.  I would not be willing to bring in someone who would also need to go through that process.  I would not mind having a public school teacher sit in on our co-op in order to go through that process in the hopes of tutoring later.  But I would not expect to pay for it.  It would be a kind of student teaching type of activity.  It is more difficult to make the jump than you may think.

Momof697
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I would use your services.  I hate the planning part of homeschooling. I would also consider using you as a tutor/teacher so that they have to perform up to your level and it is not just mom.

HarrisonMD
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Quoting MelanieKross:

Maybe you read my post wrong...I'm not bringing public school into homes...I left public school for a reason as well.  Please re-read.  I worked with poor children for 13 years whose only option was public school.  You are fortunate you get to homeschool but there is no need to be so insensative to all teachers.  We have big hearts and care as well.  I hope you're teaching your kids to love other people and not be as rude as you are!  Maybe you need a sub and a day to yourself??  Lol

I would personally appreciate any help I could get especially if it's a subject i want my child to learn but may not be well versed in it! Of course everybody has their own opinions and I at one time wanted to be a public school teacher, but not after the things I've seen over the years...no thank you! I give all the teachers out there kuddos for really trying to teach these kids...and for having the guts to step away from it too. Since I'm new at homeschooling, I have discovered at least one thing...There is always someone out there who knows more than I do! I may not always take their personal advice, but that's what asking is for! Good Luck and hope it goes well!

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MelanieKross:

FYI there are some amazing pubic school teachers out there who can bring very low kids to much higher levels.  Public school is not evil, my goodness.  Jesus loves everybody, why are you so judgemental?  Maybe I should offer "How to be Kind to Others" as an adult class?

Thank you for proving people right who say you are not very nice people.  Public school has had its place and helps many people.  I was defending you!!  Not everybody can afford to homeschool, but if I did I wouldn't put down public schools.  Enjoy your lives, and I am a little worried about some of your kids' people skills if they act like some of you.  FYI...People skills are most important in life...:)

Not everyone believes in Jesus

You clearly need a "How to be kind to others" class. 

You have proven that you are not a nice person and that you want people to jump up and appreciate the fact that you as a pubic school teacher is offering your services to us measly homeschool moms. 

I also did a bit of searching and I can't seem to find any other posts on CM by you. You seem to have joined CM just for the purpose of trying to sell your services to homeschoolers.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Where I live there are a lot of enrichment and classes taught by certified teachers that have opted to not work in the system and instead create their own businesses to teach homeschoolers.  Their prices are usually really good, and their classes are well taught, so it's been something that we've enjoyed.

We have one vendor that has taught for over a decade and a half other homeschoolers in various subjects and areas.  He's built his business carefully with his wife who is also a certified teacher that teaches to homeschoolers and they have become well known and successful here.  I think it might have taken time to get the word out that they were around, and what they offer in order to get so many families.  So don't get discouraged if you find it hard to build a large enough clientele.

A good way to advertise is to contact the local  homeschool co-ops in your area and ask about ways to get the word out.  Also contact charter school that have homeschool programs, churches, YMCA's and any other places that people might gather to see if you can advertise with them.  The vendor I had mentioned usually rents out classrooms that aren't in use during public school hours at a local church.  So if you're wondering where you can teach, that might be something worth looking into.

Good Luck!

MelanieKross
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Great ideas!!  Thanks so much!  I also thought of afterschool programs at daycares...Or maybe teaching some art classes to those kids who basically just run around crazy there!!  I know the kids would love it!  I appreciate your advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)