Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling and Welfare

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious to know the opinions on homeschooling while on government assistance.  We have had food stamps for the past year, but not because of homeschooling.  I've been doing a full-time rotation at the hospital while going to school, my husband's job hours were cut, therefore we needed the help to get me through the rest of my schooling.  I'll have a job right out of school in a month and will be working part time, then we can get off the assistance.  My step-father has a very strong opinion on the subject and can't stand when people get on welfare - he says americans are getting lazy.  (He isn't aware that we have had food stamps). 

Of course you never know what the future will hold, so my question is this:  If something happened in your life, and you were forced to either work to pay for bills, food, etc (and send your children to school), or continue homeschooling while going on government assistance of some sort, what would you choose?  Would you look down on someone who made the choice to homeschool, but because of finances had to get government help? 

Not trying to start a big debate here, the thought just popped in my head and I was curious to hear opinions. 

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We have had to be on food stamps off and on for several years now.  With 4 children it would cost more than I can make to put them in child care and I am not qualified for jobs that are in the evenings that would not conflict with my husband's (a year ago and before military service, and for the last year and for atleast another year school). 

I am a better teacher  than my husband and he would break my 2nd dd and she would hate school, though he is probably the best teacher for my oldest. There is also no way he could handle all 4 kids by himself. 

I hated when we first had to go on food stamps and I dream of the day his disability gets straightened out and he gets his buisness up and running.  He should be getting more disability and he is starting his own buisness.  I for one show my children a strong work ethic here at home.  I am cleaning, teaching, keeping up all their pets and lives and getting them where they need to go.  I do not want them to be as ashamed as I was to take public assistance.  I do however teach them to try everything else first.

My oldest has to be homeschoolsd.  She does not fit in at school.  She is socially and emotionally behind, she is academically advanced (if not gifted), she is on to many levels to count in school.  So she will probably never go back to a public school classroom till she goes off to college. 

TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Congratulations on finishing up school & I wish you the best of luck for the future.

As to your question I would go back to work if it were anything but short term. I worked overtime up until a few years ago so we could get as much paid off as possible. I'd hate going back, but I would save up again & hope to be home teaching as soon as I could.
onetoknow4
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Everyone's circumstances are unique. I believe its about building up the family.  It (Food Stamps/ SNAP, Welfare to Families-TANF, WIC) shouldn't separate the masses, whether homeschooling or not.  Families choose to homeschool as a preference.  Being on Federal Assistance is oftentimes a Blessing in disguise.  Its difficult to hear that children are going hungry, and not being seen medically, and this is happening in some of our social circles.  People hear the opinions from others, and feel they can't voice certain things to supposed friends in the circle, who share some of the same goals for their children.   Working parents or non working parents-- I am a provider.   As grocery prices continue to climb, I will accept help with a smile, and if I get snubbed for doing so--, (bring on the frown, nose-snubs, and uncomfortable stares/glances).  I'm confident that my children are receiving the best from me. Their parent.

Onetoknow4

oredeb
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

i finally went on food stamps and welfare when my first husband decided to leave us and didnt pay child support, i had 4 kids 4-2months, but that wasnt going to stop me from homeschooling, i found various jobs that i could bring the kids to like cleaning houses, chopping wood, canning for people, jewelry making, homesching other peoples kids, selling my garden produce, taking care of animals, helping people start gardens, selling eggs, soap, herbal stuff,  etc, my landlord just wanted the house we lived in to be occupied so the rent was very reasonable, it still wasnt enough to get me off welfare,  but i was able to continue homeschooling and give the kids a good life,  they learned responsibility, etc,

i chose not to put my kids in daycare or babysitting or public school so i could have a normal job, i didnt want anyone else to raise my kids.

theyve not suffered from it, they all are responsible adults, with good jobs, homes, families and not on any welfare.

i was looked down on big time for being on welfare, and eventually being divorced and still being  on welfare! hahaha and not getting a normal job, but i didnt want anyone else to raise my kids or educate them, they already had one parent leave.

i think if someone needs the help of the welfare they should use it, who cares what other think, if you need help caring for your family take it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Before I even look down any further and read any comments, I am going to comment first..
The reason Welfare was implemented in the first place was for the very reasons you just stated. NOT for for all those who have chosen to become carreerwelfare recipients. I am talking about those who just sit on their ass and let the government take care of their family instead of getting off their ass and doing it themselves. Those are the people who have made the welfare system look ike it does now. If you are doing your best and are still coming up short and need some assisstance, then that is what the welfare system is for. NO ONE should judge anyone for these conditions. Period. Especially if you are trying to stay on long enough to get through your troubles andget off welfare assisstance. So, you will find no judgement or negativity from me or anyone I know. You do whatever it is you need to do to make ends meet for your family. Bless you sweety. :)
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

We've been on it temporarily when my dh got injured and was out of work for several weeks. At our reapplication, the case manager told me that to qualify, I had to show that I was working or looking for work. When I told her I homeschooled two young children, I got an earful! First she told me that she wasn't even sure homeschooling was legal (seriously?) then she went off on how it must be nice to just get to stay home, she sure wished SHE could be home with her child and weren't we lucky that I could just stay home if I felt like ti and get other people to pay for it! This was early on in our homeschooling and I was a sensitive newbie. Well, that just created all sorts of doubts about our choices and made me really upset. But that was the last time we ever took a handout. It made my dh and I much more resourceful and forced us to look at different ways to support ourselves without assistance. We will never give up homeschooling, no matter what else we have to do, educating our own children comes first. Its easier now that they are older. If I needed to get a job, it would be doable since they could stay by themselves and my dh's shop is just two blocks away and they could be there with him if need be. But homeschooling is non-negotioable.

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

In general, I have no opinions on what others are doing.

I admire what you are doing though.

On a personally level, I am a single mom that works ft to get by and have considered the what if's... So I work a pt job seasonally, to earn some extra savings for if and when that was to ever happen. I probably qualify for food stamps now, but I don't NEED them - and don't use them. I am skilled at being frugal. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

wowguildmomma
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

We get some assitance in the form of the 3 with autism get SSI to help cover therapys and special equipment they need and those 3 have medicaid but that is all the help we get. 

When DH lost his job and was unable to find work for 3 years we had some welfare but that stopped as soon as he got a new job.

We try to avoid welfare when we can cause it causes so much stress with our family. The area we live in is very anti-welfare and its common to have complete strangers come up and bash us out for having for kids when they would see us pay with our food card back then, we dealt with some even telling us that if we couldn't afford the kids then they should be put up for adoption and some have told us that the all but the oldest shouldn't have been born. It was awful and we hope not have to have to use foodstamps or wic ever again if we can.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My hubby was out of work for 6 months, then worked for 9 months and was off again this winter.  His unemployment was running out when we started our business.  I am working when I can to to the finances, the typing, sending out the letters, and now apparently giving talks to other families about how to save electricity and money!  LOL  Personally, I would not have gone on Public Assistance without trying very hard to work and pay my own way.  I don't see anything wrong with it, but I have always been very prideful about paying my own way in life.  I would NOT EVER send my kids back to PS.  I would do whatever I could to make sure I could homeschool them.

JTROX
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM

People who can't afford to feed their kids and stay at home should go and get a job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN