Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling and Welfare

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious to know the opinions on homeschooling while on government assistance.  We have had food stamps for the past year, but not because of homeschooling.  I've been doing a full-time rotation at the hospital while going to school, my husband's job hours were cut, therefore we needed the help to get me through the rest of my schooling.  I'll have a job right out of school in a month and will be working part time, then we can get off the assistance.  My step-father has a very strong opinion on the subject and can't stand when people get on welfare - he says americans are getting lazy.  (He isn't aware that we have had food stamps). 

Of course you never know what the future will hold, so my question is this:  If something happened in your life, and you were forced to either work to pay for bills, food, etc (and send your children to school), or continue homeschooling while going on government assistance of some sort, what would you choose?  Would you look down on someone who made the choice to homeschool, but because of finances had to get government help? 

Not trying to start a big debate here, the thought just popped in my head and I was curious to hear opinions. 

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

They just need to hurry home and start their writing campaign to everyone in government, to get those laws changed then. Because that is how the system works. In the meantime, the system works in a way that allows you to collect assistance, if you so qualify.  

I could live with myself easier going on welfare, before I could ever live with myself for harassing people when I do not know them or their situation. For all I know, they are super depressed and suicidal about the situation - and I was the ass that pushed them over the edge. 

Quoting wowguildmomma:

We get some assitance in the form of the 3 with autism get SSI to help cover therapys and special equipment they need and those 3 have medicaid but that is all the help we get. 

When DH lost his job and was unable to find work for 3 years we had some welfare but that stopped as soon as he got a new job.

We try to avoid welfare when we can cause it causes so much stress with our family. The area we live in is very anti-welfare and its common to have complete strangers come up and bash us out for having for kids when they would see us pay with our food card back then, we dealt with some even telling us that if we couldn't afford the kids then they should be put up for adoption and some have told us that the all but the oldest shouldn't have been born. It was awful and we hope not have to have to use foodstamps or wic ever again if we can.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I'd get a job and enroll them in school. It would break my heart, but it's better to be responsible and set that example for my children than to continue my cushy lifestyle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I don't think it is my place to tell others what is right for them. For me I would do everything I could not to use government anything & still homeschool. So if that meant I worked a POs part time job opposite my Hubby so that we didn't have to pay someone to care for the kids, cut off the satellite, internet, bought everything second hand & made everything that could be made from scratch then that is what I would do.

PEEK05
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I would work to get off them as much as I could, but I would still homeschool while figuring out ways to bring in more money.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Usmom said it much better than I did!

Quoting usmom3:

I don't think it is my place to tell others what is right for them. For me I would do everything I could not to use government anything & still homeschool. So if that meant I worked a POs part time job opposite my Hubby so that we didn't have to pay someone to care for the kids, cut off the satellite, internet, bought everything second hand & made everything that could be made from scratch then that is what I would do.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I won't personally get assistance just because of me and DH's opinions and feelings about where it's headed.  But I don't judge you or others for getting some help.  As long as it's temporary while (general) you work toward something better. 

I agree with your stepfather, Americans are getting lazy and I am against getting assistance with no intention of ever getting off of it.  I wish it was only there for those who need it, but I think it's getting more toward the way of giving it to those who want to be dependent on the government.

jewel80
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I homeschool and my only income is welfare i get tanf and foodstamps,BUT. my son is disabled and cannot be in school or daycare. Im also disabled myself and cant work, im applying for ssi for my son and thats why im on welfare, only until ssi kicks in. Im a single mom daddisappeared over 6yrs ago so i get no child support. I also tried to have my son in school wenthorribly and all 3 of his docs told me to homeschool get him out of public school it made him worse. Teachers arent equipped to deal with certain disabilities even special ed teachers cant handle most special ed kids, and my son was not bad or violent actually he didnt speak one word at school he was terrified the whole time he was there it was horrible! I feel under certain circumstances you have no choice but to be on welfare while homeschooling. I think if a child likes school and is doing well then no you shouldnt homeschool if you cant afford to, but there are special reasons why people have to homeschool and thats different sometimes its not a choice but you have to homeschool for your childs safety and wellbeing
Cemommster
by Jenny on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

I'd get a job and enroll them in school. It would break my heart, but it's better to be responsible and set that example for my children than to continue my cushy lifestyle.

Cemommster
by Jenny on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

For those that are on it, because of a life circumstance, it IS NOT A CUSHY lifestyle. We went on WIC and supplemental insurance for our children, in addition to our private insurance, due an illness and injury, that put me off work. Nothing cushy about it. And not all kids will make public school. We started hs because our oldest wanted to kill himself.
mhaney03
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I've reached a point where I will do ANYTHING to keep my kids out of regular school so I don't know what I'd do, really.  I feel more strongly about that then I do about not getting on welfare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)