Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling and Welfare

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm curious to know the opinions on homeschooling while on government assistance.  We have had food stamps for the past year, but not because of homeschooling.  I've been doing a full-time rotation at the hospital while going to school, my husband's job hours were cut, therefore we needed the help to get me through the rest of my schooling.  I'll have a job right out of school in a month and will be working part time, then we can get off the assistance.  My step-father has a very strong opinion on the subject and can't stand when people get on welfare - he says americans are getting lazy.  (He isn't aware that we have had food stamps). 

Of course you never know what the future will hold, so my question is this:  If something happened in your life, and you were forced to either work to pay for bills, food, etc (and send your children to school), or continue homeschooling while going on government assistance of some sort, what would you choose?  Would you look down on someone who made the choice to homeschool, but because of finances had to get government help? 

Not trying to start a big debate here, the thought just popped in my head and I was curious to hear opinions. 

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Replies (31-36):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

You  misunderstood what I posted. "My cushy lifestyle" refers to the life I lead right now - being a SAHM, homeschooling my kids. It's a pretty easy life. It would be hard for me to send my kids to school and hard for me to get a full time job, but if it were that, or accept government assistance (which is in effect, accepting other taxpayers' money), I'd choose the former. I'd do everything in my power to avoid it beforehand though.

We've been on WIC at times (when I was pregnant or had babies on formula) - we even had state-run health care during my 1st pregnancy when we found out our deductible was going to be as much as I'd EARN at my little job during the course of the pregnancy! Turned out to be the right choice because from 27 weeks on, I was on bedrest anyway. But 2nd pregnancy, we could have qualified for the state Medicaid again, but we also realized we could swing our deductible + coinsurance too - it took about five months but we paid the hospital bill ourselves. It felt so much better, even though it was hard, than taking the government handout, and we also had so much more choice in our healthcare, which is important. But yeah... every family goes through hard times, and it's a personal decision. 

Quoting Cemommster:

Quoting hipmomto3:

I'd get a job and enroll them in school. It would break my heart, but it's better to be responsible and set that example for my children than to continue my cushy lifestyle.

For those that are on it, because of a life circumstance, it IS NOT A CUSHY lifestyle. We went on WIC and supplemental insurance for our children, in addition to our private insurance, due an illness and injury, that put me off work. Nothing cushy about it. And not all kids will make public school. We started hs because our oldest wanted to kill himself.

Joann.HS
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I could understand temporarily, but personally I'd get some sort of pay--- cleaning houses, delivering newspapers, etc. or cut back on $ spent. If that didn't cut it then I would enroll my children in school and find a full time job with pay. I wouldn't want to take a govt handout personally, but that's just me and my husband.
southernwldchld
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I have had to work in the past. I always went for swing shift, most potential employees want M-F 9-5. I wanted to work weekends and 3-11. I homeschooled in the morning, and went to work in the evening. My sister worked opposite me and it worked out that we only needed a sitter one evening a week for five hours. 

We figured it out, but we won't put them in the schools here. If we needed temporary help, I stlll would homeschool.

All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was
Where do you want to start? Take the Doctors hand and join us at Cafe Who!

mamabens
by Miranda on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:43 AM

We receive assistance, I'm disabled and cannot work, didn't work enough to be able to get disability, my husband works full time , overtime and is getting a second job, but we still can't survive without assistance. We do homeschool but we don't spend any money on it, so I don't see how that has any bearing on us getting needed help. We actually spend less ow tat we hs than when the girls were in ps. 

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Hi honestly I don't really care about someone else's income. I think homeschooling saves the government money. I think homeschooling is like a job and it gives a purpose to anyone and not just sitting around being lazy and collecting checks. Which I completely respect.
acrogodess
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Considering my kids were on a track to nowhere while in public school and I want to be college ready, if I had to I would take the assistance in order to keep homeschooling. They will have better opportunities than me not just educationally, but financially.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)