Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Modern day hero?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 14 Replies
Do you have one? Who is it?

and

Why are they your modern day hero?

undefined

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I don't have one.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My karate instructor.  He is most encouraging person I have ever met.  He gets me to want to do things I never thought possible.  He also causes me great pain.

My more famous hero would probably be Chuck Norris.  I read  his book Against all odds and it changed my life.

101stwife
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I have 2. My husband and my son.

My husband because from the time we were in highschool and had our 1st child, he has worked his behind off to take care of our family. He is the best husband and father I could ever ask for. When we had our youngest son he was diagnosed with cancer. My husband's insurance ran out and finally was laid off. My husband joined the Army so that our family would be taken care of and so that our son would have health insurance. He had always wanted to serve his Country but this was the final thing that tipped me in its favor. He has been to war 3 times. He puts his life on the line not just for our family...but for all of his buddies to the left and right of him too. He is my hero.

My youngest son because at 3 weeks old he was diagnosed with nueroblastoma cancer. He underwent surgeries, chemo therapy, and many many tests and other proceedures but he did it all like a champ. He beat cancers a$$!!! At 12 he is cancer free but still has to go once a year for check ups.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
[quote name="Bleacheddecay" id="0"]

I don't have one.

[/quute

Curiosity begs me to ask......

Okay. Any particular reason(s) why? :)
vintage-misha
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My husband. He's an amazing person in so many ways and I admire and respect him so much for all he does for his family and friends. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Quoting jen2150:

My karate instructor.  He is most encouraging person I have ever met.  He gets me to want to do things I never thought possible.  He also causes me great pain.

My more famous hero would probably be Chuck Norris.  I read  his book Against all odds and it changed my life.

If I may ask..... How or what part of you changed?
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting vintage-misha:

My husband. He's an amazing person in so many ways and I admire and respect him so much for all he does for his family and friends. 

Ha! Me too!!!! These are my exact sentiments.
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My son.  The kid had to fight to live and only spent 18 hours in the NICU.  The nurses were amazed at how quickly he came off the ventilator and then came out of NICU.  He had his first surgery at 4 months old and bounced back like a champ.  He has overcome every obstacle life has thrown at him and now at 7, he is finally free of the Neurosurgeon and happy and healthy.  Anytime I think about giving up on something, I look at my son.  If he can beat everything life has thrown at him, I can do ___________.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

When I started karate I was very depressed and I didn't have a whole lot of self esteem. I was doing it mostly for my sons to encourage them. I had a hard time making it to class. I felt so confused every day in class. I couldn't even keep my eyes open during my sparring class. It was instinctive of me to close my eyes when someone came near me. I decided I needed to do something. I went to the library and found the book and it helped me in so many ways. Chuck Norris had blue baby syndrome and almost didn't make it. His father was an alcoholic and abusive. When he began taking karate while overseas he had an broken clavicle. He failed his first test for his black belt. He had a lot of reasons he could have given up but he didn't. He trained 4 hours per day 6 days a week.

Things I learned from his book:

I can do anything that I put my mind to

Our biggest challenge in life is our own negative thinking. How powerful positive thinking and training your mind to perform perfectly in our thoughts. Our thoughts actually train our bodies how to perform.

In my sparring class the most important thing is to be aggressive. The more aggressive person is the one that usually scores.

Beware of shadow warriors. People who work in shadows to create doubt and bring us down a dark path. Many times they are subtle.

Power comes from speed and not muscle mass

My favorite saying he had in his book everywhere

Set goals, visualize the results of those goals, and then be determined to succeed by overcoming any obstacles in the way.

Chuck Norris was a world champion because he made one decision. He decided that he was never going to lose the same way twice. Every time he lost a match he would practice until his weakness became one of his strength. If a weak side kick cost him the match then he would practice his side kick until it become his strength.

Most of all I think his book is great because it can be applied to all things in our lives and not just martial arts. It has given me the courage to run my own co-op and teach in front of large groups even though I am very shy. It really helped to unleash my creativity. He is also a homeschooler.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting jen2150:

If I may ask..... How or what part of you changed?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally...my Dad. He adopted me when I was 10 and has always been my rock. He didn't have to pick me...but I'm blessed every day he did!

Globally..people that stand up for what they believe in, even to the risk of jail time or life threats to make a difference. I wish I had the guts! Watching whale wars not long ago and was in awe. I do little things, they save lives.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)