Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Do you have just one motivation or do you have several things that keep you going?

undefined

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
SusanTheWriter
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Ugh. I hate when they do that. My mom's town was like that. She lived less than a mile outside the city limit and the library wanted her to pay for a card. She just didn't use the library for 20 yrs!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our local library would cost me more than my bookstore visits, so I just don't go there anymore.  I live outside their area, so it costs $70 per card per year and we would need 5 cards.  YIKES! 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Ah! I see now.

I get most of my books from the library now. I could never afford what I read. I do get book store gift certificates sometimes.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

If you could see my bookstore bill, you would understand the vice!  ;o)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Wait. How is reading a vice? It's a virtue IMO.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Finding good things in every day.

Not worrying about the things I can't change.

Relaxing.

Reading

Petting my cat. LOL

Reading is one of my vices. It helps me to just find a place where I can relax my mind and gain a better perspective on things.
I love cats! :)
:

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

If I bought every book I read it would be more than $70 a year, a great deal more. Sounds like you are keeping your bookstore bill down better that I could!  Good for you.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our local library would cost me more than my bookstore visits, so I just don't go there anymore.  I live outside their area, so it costs $70 per card per year and we would need 5 cards.  YIKES! 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Ah! I see now.

I get most of my books from the library now. I could never afford what I read. I do get book store gift certificates sometimes.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Relaxing.

Reading

Petting my cat. LOL

Reading is one of my vices. It helps me to just find a place where I can relax my mind and gain a better perspective on things.
:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I'm not sure! LOL

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Knowing that my children have3 a better life then they would if they went to public school & that when it is all done they will be the truly unique individuals they  are & not the byproduct of the system.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

That's where we are now.  I have my own library.  We even lend to the homeschoolers in our co-op.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Ugh. I hate when they do that. My mom's town was like that. She lived less than a mile outside the city limit and the library wanted her to pay for a card. She just didn't use the library for 20 yrs!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Ah! I see now.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Relaxing.

Reading

Petting my cat. LOL

:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I counted the cost for each of our cards.  Typically we spend about $300/ year at the bookstore (for pleasure reading).  The library would cost $350.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

If I bought every book I read it would be more than $70 a year, a great deal more. Sounds like you are keeping your bookstore bill down better that I could!  Good for you.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Ah! I see now.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Relaxing.

Reading

Petting my cat. LOL

:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I love actually seeing her learn. I'm constantly amazed at how easily she picks up things that I've never been able to wrap my head around.

I love seeing the lightbulb go off because I was able to take the time to explain something in a way she understands and can apply it.

And on our bad days, I'll admit that fear of seeing her sink under depression, loneliness, stress and isolation again keep me homeschooling.

For me personally? A good book and a glass of wine. :)

I love everyone's motivations. Including yours. What are you favorite genre's and wines?
SusanTheWriter
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I love actually seeing her learn. I'm constantly amazed at how easily she picks up things that I've never been able to wrap my head around.

I love seeing the lightbulb go off because I was able to take the time to explain something in a way she understands and can apply it.

And on our bad days, I'll admit that fear of seeing her sink under depression, loneliness, stress and isolation again keep me homeschooling.

For me personally? A good book and a glass of wine. :)

I love everyone's motivations. Including yours. What are you favorite genre's and wines?

I read what I write - paranormal romance, mostly. Some historical romance, some fantasy, sci-fi, mystery. I read almost every genre of fiction except horror.

I like the new Washington/Oregon Rieslings that are sweet enough to drink easily, but have a sort of green apple tang to prevent them from being syrupy. Gewürztraminer, Rosé, Prosecco (a sparkling white) are also favorites.

And I love how this post went sproinging totally off topic! LOL!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Quoting usmom3:

Knowing that my children have3 a better life then they would if they went to public school & that when it is all done they will be the truly unique individuals they  are & not the byproduct of the system.

I am so very thankful that my kids will not be the bi-product of the public school system either. whew!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Quoting mem82:

I'm not sure! LOL

Well, that's okay. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN