Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have been watching videos about college. Every aspect. The critics that think college is a scam, the lectures, prfessors complaining about students, students complaining about professors, and yadda yadda... 

So anyways, it all just has me thinking and I wonder what other homeschoolers think about education, college, life skills, critical / creative thinking...  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Replies (11-16):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I think college is the right path for different people.  It really depends on what you want to do with your life.  What are your goals?  I have received a better education homeschooling than I ever received in college.  I don't regret going or wish I hadn't.  I learned so much while going to college.  College was a good starting point.  It wasn't until I began homeschooling that my real education began.  It was while homeschooling that I learned to love math and science.  My real creativity didn't emerge until I began teaching my children at home.  I had awesome college professors and others that were horrible.  College is not where you find yourself.   I will encourage my children to follow their dreams.  You don't have to have a college degree to earn a good living.  Going to college doesn't guarantee you one either.  I will encourage my children to learn a trade so they can earn enough money to pay for college.  Most of all I want them to be happy and follow their hearts.

I learned a lot of great lessons in college and a lot of things that were not true.  I also learned to dislike math even more in college.  I lost a little of my love for history.  I hated all my history classes.  I think my history teacher in high school spoiled me.  He made it a lot of fun.    I also met a lot of great people from all over the world.  I developed a love for wellness, tennis, psychology, fitness, and cafeteria workers while in college.  I became great friends with my wellness teacher in college.  I would say all in all I enjoyed college the good and the bad.  I would also never push college on anyone but I would encourage them to explore all their options.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

We are a family that does not encourage college.  We only had 2 that attended and neither used what they went for.   The top money makers in our kids were not one of the two either. lol   Unless someone wants to do something that has to have college I believe it is a big waste of time.   All of our children support their families quite well (the boys that is. The girls are wives and home educating moms) and are happy. That is all I care about :-)

wowguildmomma
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

DH and I do agree that collage is important. For me I have all but a transcription class away from having my associates in medical office, and DH has his associates in bookkeeping. However I had to give up being a professional upon the diagnosis of our 3 kids with autism and realizing that working outside the home wasn't gonna be in my future. However we are having to look into what it will take for DH to go back to school again cause no one will hire just a certified bookkeeper here. He has to have his BA or masters in buisness accounting. He is a whizz at numbers as an adult autisitc and is very detailed and adhears to policies and rules ridgedly making him a dream for most employers however they all end up turning him away for the same reason. No Collage Diploma. Right now he works at walmart for barely over minimum wage. it sucks but as the job market here sucks cause most positions that are open you need a degree for there isn't any other options. 

So we do focus quite a bit on the eventually going to college for our kids. We see first hand everyday that we can't really make it without a degree in this area. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it just depends on you and your goals.  Some jobs do require a degree and others experience is more important.  I will encourage my son to look into college and if we find one that fits his needs I will help him pay for it.  I don't think it is the be all, end all of knowledge and I don't think it is for everyone.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I personally know to many people that are self taught in there careers that collage would not have helped them make better money in that field of work & they are better at there profession then their collage graduate counter parts. So I don't think everyone needs to or should go to collage I think it all depends on what you want to do for a living.

PEEK05
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I learned more in college than I did anywhere else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN