Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you using for 4th graders?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

what books, curr, things are you using to teach your 4th graders?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

English: Write shop for writing and grammar.

Spelling: My son pick their own words and then learn them any way they wish.

Vocab: A lot of reading and a couple of fun workbooks Reading: I doing a tower of Popsicle sticks for the books they read.

Math: TTextbooks, life of fred, read the world of mathematics, creative math projects.

History: I am starting a history club, reading the Caption's dog, history of US by Joy Hakim. Various books from the library.

Science: We are doing physics this year and nature studies. We are doing an online science program through simple homeschooling. My sons also take a local science class as well. We will also be reading a book called the world of physics. It combines history and science all into one reading. I love it.

Art: they take various local art classes. I cant draw if my life depended on it. We also use various books from the library for Art history.

PE: We take karate together, local PE class and I am thinking of doing soccer for my younger son.

Did I forget anything? Probably.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was behind so I have to purchase curriculum from First Grade-5th Grade

Math - Math U See supplemented by www.ixl.com - highly recommended

Reading and Spelling - S.P.I.R.E Decodable Ebooks/Sitton Spelling and Word Skills

History - Story of the World and activity book - trying out for the first time

Language Arts - First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind - trying out for the first time

Writing - Writing with Ease and a Complete Writer Workbook - trying out for the first time

Science - rocknlearn bundles educational dvds (Earth Science, Physical Science, Life Science and Human Body)

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Reading and Spelling - S.P.I.R.E Decodable Ebooks/Sitton Spelling and Word Skills

Language Arts - First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind - trying out for the first time

Writing - Writing with Ease and a Complete Writer Workbook - trying out for the first time

Science - rocknlearn bundles educational dvds (Earth Science, Physical Science, Life Science and Human Body)

I would recommend trying IXL before purchasing.  I think you can do 15ish minutes a day without buying.  I love IXL, but my son won't use it.  My ps kids will, but they're in school all day, so I don't push it with them.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I did my own curriculum.  We pulled my son from the charter midway through the year, so it was a haphazard thing, though I'll be doing my own curriculum this fall as well.  We did a states study (I have to admit to following what the school was doing since I had other kids there still and it was easy to follow), looking up facts and such.  Ridiculous laws was a fun part.  We also pulled recipes from each state and this saummer we're going to do the cooking.  :)  To help with capitals we love Rockapella's Capitals, Marbles the Brainstore has a video that was tons of fun, and my husband adores Wakko's state capitals.  We also love Brain Pop.

oredeb
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM

hi hwbly, sounds like you had a lot of fun doing this!!!

Quoting hwblyf:

I did my own curriculum.  We pulled my son from the charter midway through the year, so it was a haphazard thing, though I'll be doing my own curriculum this fall as well.  We did a states study (I have to admit to following what the school was doing since I had other kids there still and it was easy to follow), looking up facts and such.  Ridiculous laws was a fun part.  We also pulled recipes from each state and this saummer we're going to do the cooking.  :)  To help with capitals we love Rockapella's Capitals, Marbles the Brainstore has a video that was tons of fun, and my husband adores Wakko's state capitals.  We also love Brain Pop.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

That is a good idea. Even if my doesn't like it, I will still sign up and use it to teach my son. It compares the state standard with what they are offering and it's amazing. I can print out problems (sign in as a parent) my son has difficulty and I teach him til he masters that skill and then we switch and he continue til he encounters another problem. We had it for 6 days now and I can see his progress and confidence.

I want him to have solid foundation so I started him with the basic.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting mommy4lyf:

I would recommend trying IXL before purchasing.  I think you can do 15ish minutes a day without buying.  I love IXL, but my son won't use it.  My ps kids will, but they're in school all day, so I don't push it with them.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

We did have a good time.  I'm looking forward to the meals.  Although, the New England states are gonna kill me.  My sons picked lobster, clam, maple bacon (I think they need to repick, I don't want to get a whole hog and smoke it and such.....just.don't.want.to.), and other really expensive items.  Oh my.  :)

Quoting oredeb:

hi hwbly, sounds like you had a lot of fun doing this!!!

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)