Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many text books or workbooks do you use?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 23 Replies

This year is shaping up to be a more *bookish* year than in many years past. Missie is going into 7th grade and needs more oomph and I'm adding in Theo as a preschooler, though this will not be a lot of official school things.

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Textbooks: 15

Workbooks: 4

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I'm using textbooks for just about everything. Its not my favorite medium, but as the kids get older, its harder to find fun, creative hands on stuff.  My dd loves it because it clearly lays out what is expected from her each day, she likes that she can see the starting and stopping points and she can judge progress. She'd rather just get it done than sit around and do related "crafts" and such. For ds, its easier to use textbooks and workbooks for a spine and use visual media for rounding out his things like history and science. I miss the days when they loved making volcanos out of baking soda and vinegar and could use M&Ms for math!

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM

3 textbooks, 2 workbooks, 2 sets of literature guides (although I ended up using a different analysis sheet). As many "real" books as possible, plus movies and online study guides and webisodes.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM

My oldest sounds a lot like yours. She likes being able to see exactly what there is to do and how much is left. My son is a little different, but I plan to come up with hands on activities to use with as much as I can to supplement.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I'm using textbooks for just about everything. Its not my favorite medium, but as the kids get older, its harder to find fun, creative hands on stuff.  My dd loves it because it clearly lays out what is expected from her each day, she likes that she can see the starting and stopping points and she can judge progress. She'd rather just get it done than sit around and do related "crafts" and such. For ds, its easier to use textbooks and workbooks for a spine and use visual media for rounding out his things like history and science. I miss the days when they loved making volcanos out of baking soda and vinegar and could use M&Ms for math!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

LOL I assume that is for all of the kiddos and not just one?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

yes, I'm hoping to supplement as much as possible.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

3 textbooks, 2 workbooks, 2 sets of literature guides (although I ended up using a different analysis sheet). As many "real" books as possible, plus movies and online study guides and webisodes.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

We use probably an even amount between textbooks and living books.  I think we will always use a mixture.  Our textbooks we use are interesting and engaging.  One of my rules for textbooks.  My workbooks have the same rule.  Every book I use has to have children's seal of approval.  I am using a crazy amount of workbooks for my creative math class.  They are all super fun.  We are very child led when it comes to learning.  My kids actually love textbooks and workbooks.  If they are boring my kids tell me and it is out of there.   

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

History, Language Arts and Math are all textbooks/workbooks, but I am supplementing with all kinds of activities and websites/videos to make it more interesting for my son.  Science is going to be as hands on as I can make it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Sadly, no.  Textbooks: Life of Fred (2), Math U See, Lightning Fast Spanish, Strunk and White Grammar (that one is really for me), Science 4, Van Cleave's Chemistry, SotW, Writer's Inc, To Read a Poem, + 3 poetry texts, The Play is the Thing, and Kids' America.

Workbooks: 1 for grammar, 1 for spelling, 1 Math U See, and 1 American Road Atlas for each.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Ah, I see. You have multiply texts for a subject. Tell me, how do you keep track of what you want to use out of what?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sadly, no.  Textbooks: Life of Fred (2), Math U See, Lightning Fast Spanish, Strunk and White Grammar (that one is really for me), Science 4, Van Cleave's Chemistry, SotW, Writer's Inc, To Read a Poem, + 3 poetry texts, The Play is the Thing, and Kids' America.

Workbooks: 1 for grammar, 1 for spelling, 1 Math U See, and 1 American Road Atlas for each.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)