Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

easy chapter books or series

Posted by   + Show Post
My mom gives the grandkids money when they finish a book and write or tell them what it was about, favorite parts, etc. This is the first summer she has added my 8 year old in the mix (so far its been my brothers older kids that do it). My son isn't the biggest reading fan and has struggled with it. So I would like to find some easier chapter books for now that he could enjoy, practice reading, and get the reward from my mom while hopefully getting him to actually enjoy reading a little more, gain confidence, and not get frustrated struggling to much. He's done Magic Tree House but gets frustrated with some of those. Do you know of any chapter books/series that are easier then Magic Tree House?
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM

How about A Series of Unfortunate Events?  My 8yo is reading the series now and he likes that the hard words usually have their definition right there in the text. 

Freckle Juice by Judy Blume
Bunnicula by Deb and James Howe
The Cave of the Dark Wind OR Blood Tide by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
Hi! Fly Guy by Ted Arnold
Roald Dahl is a favorite author around here:  The Magic Finger, Fantastic Mr Fox, The BFG, The Witches, The Giraffe the Pelly and Me, and many many more!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Mine likes Geronimo Stilton too. The chapters are short and the words are often written in  fun font usually in a style that gives a clue to figuring out the word. Like for instance the word cheese will be written like a block of cheese

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My son loved the Charlie Small books.  They're fun and exciting, but I don't know if they're easy the way Henry and Mudge are.  There's also the Dragon Slayer's Academy, How to Train Your Dragon series, Dinosaur Cove, Encyclopedia Brown, Big Nate, Flat Stanley.  These are all books my kids were reading 1st-3rd grade (they're good readers, but they're exciting stories that my older kids will still read).

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Sorry I have girls so some of these may not work.

The Magic Tree House

Cam Jensen Mystery's

Judy Moody

Junie B. Jones

The Magic School Bus

The Boxcar Children

Little House on the Prairie series.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Ph yeah, Judy Moody has a little brother: Stink!!  Those are great!

Quoting debramommyof4:

The Magic Tree House

Cam Jensen Mystery's

Judy Moody

Junie B. Jones

The Magic School Bus

The Boxcar Children

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah.  My 6 year old compares him to her little brother.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Ph yeah, Judy Moody has a little brother: Stink!!  Those are great!

Quoting debramommyof4:

The Magic Tree House

Cam Jensen Mystery's

Judy Moody

Junie B. Jones

The Magic School Bus

The Boxcar Children

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Thank you everyone for the great ideas!  I'm making a list of them all so we can look for them at the library, or buy them to add to our home library collection.  :)

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM

We love the Mr. Putter books by Cynthia Rylant.  They are short but still interesting and funny.

Annastacialynn
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM
my son is reading nate the great right now. He loves them! The chapters are short and the books are fun. :-). Henry and Judge are great and Mr. putter and Tabby. Does. it have to be chapter books? Berenstain bear books are fairly long. Richard Scarry books are good for practicing reading words.
Annastacialynn
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM
(mudge not judge) :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)