Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you didn't do a letter of the week curriculum what did you do?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 24 Replies
What did you do with your pre schooler? Theo will be four and mostly we will focus on educational play but I will become a bit more schoolish with him.
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

We loved letter of the week. We had so much fun with that - and added so much to it.

We also did...

kid author themes - like all Eric Carle books, activities, etc.

Muffin tin Mondays was another thing we did (lunch to go with our book theme). http://www.anotherlunch.com/ I used it a few years ago and it has since changed names - don't know it is the same concept.

I did a VERY basic world cultures - basically the study of the seven continents around the world. I wanted the key concepts to stick, so I kept it light and generalized.

A lot of activities in the community. Field trips to court houses, farms...

Science was just keeping track of the weather, nature walks, a few crafty activities.  

oredeb
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this

depending on which child i was teaching at the time, we mostly just did play and lots of hands on stuff,

counting things

chasing bugs, looking them up in books

cooking, baking

playing

me reading the child

songs, verses

i had numbers on the wall, so the child could see the numbers when we counted

field trips to ponds , outdoors places, wild life stuff

picking berries(freezing for latter), and making into jelly (winter time) counting blackberries is fun! very messy!hahaha

disecting fish(we caught), worms,

talking about the area we live in,

practising writing in the dirt

painting letters on large pieces of paper, letting child paint the letters, numbers

scribbling

mixing b.soda and things together

learning about the stars

growing plants

using nails and small hammer,

bike riding

hiking (nature study)

learning to feed the animals, collecting eggs(counting)

learning from things we do everyday

animal movies

arts and crafts-learning to use scissors, crayons, markers, paint brushes, sewing, glueing,

lots of playing, dancing, singing

reading poetry

katinahat
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I highly recommend Creative Resources for the Early Childhood Classroom by Judy Herr :)

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM
We do letter number color shape and then we work on pattern of the week. We are working letter bingo number bingo shape bingo and color bingo
wwwhavefunteaching.com
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I did the All About Reading Pre Level 1 with my little guy. He loved it. It's like letter of the week, in a sense. You go over lower case letters and upper case letters one at a time. It teaches the name of the letter, first, and then goes through the sounds the letter makes. There's a craft with every letter, and poems with every letter. There were also little games/activities with each lesson. I printed out handwriting practices pages and put them in page protectors to let him trace and practice writing on his own with dry erase marker. He still loves it. I also added in shapes and numbers and it became his "writing binder."  He thought he was super special since he got his own binder lol. I also started using Math U See's Primer. We're easily half way through it, and my little guy is 4 too, and we started all of this last year (he was asking to, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been using such formal stuff).

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My 4yo already knows all of his letters and their sounds, so we are going to do word families of the week. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Theo will be four in July and is just now talking. LOL Cole was the same way. Missie knew them at 2. Between you and me, Nikki, who will be 2 in August, talks almost as much as he does so I think she might actually learn the letters with him.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My 4yo already knows all of his letters and their sounds, so we are going to do word families of the week. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I think that was how my Q learned them.  He was there with Levi this past year in kinder.  While Levi learned them, so did Q.  We continued working with them while Levi moved onto the word families, so now I have to rethink how I do pre-k.  :o)

Quoting mem82:

Theo will be four in July and is just now talking. LOL Cole was the same way. Missie knew them at 2. Between you and me, Nikki, who will be 2 in August, talks almost as much as he does so I think she might actually learn the letters with him.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't do letter of the week. We watched leapfrog DVDs, played letter and sound gales and eventually learned them all. LOTW was took slow!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN