Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

college education costs around the world

I decided to go look up how much college educations cost in the USA compared to other countries. We have the 3rd highest rates. Only Mexico and Japan have higher rates than the USA. 

Mexico

Education costs: $5,077*

Median income: $4,615

Affordability: 110.01%

Highest ranked university: N/A

Number of universities in the top 100: N/A

*Mexico has a range of higher education costs. Private education in Mexico has average tuition costs of $11,777, while public costs $527.

Japan

Education costs: $11,865

Median income: $22,790

Affordability: 52.06%

Highest ranked university: University of Tokyo (30)

Number of universities in the top 100: 2

USA

Education costs: $13,856*

Median income: $26,990

Affordability: 51.34%

Highest ranked university: California Institute of Technology (1)

Number of universities in the top 100: 51

*The USA has a range of higher education costs. Private education in the USA has average tuition costs of $24,700, while public costs $7,173.

Australia

Education costs: $7,692

Median income: $23,017

Affordability: 33.42%

Highest ranked university: University of Melbourne (37)

Number of universities in the top 100: 4

Latvia

Education costs: $3,299

Median income: $13,646

Affordability: 24.17%

Highest ranked university: N/A

Canada

Education costs: $5,974

Median income: $26,623

Affordability: 22.44%

Highest ranked university: University of Toronto (19)

Number of universities in the top 100: 5

England and Wales

Education costs: $5,288

Median income: $24,652

Affordability: 21.45%

Highest ranked university: University of Oxford (4)

Number of universities in the top 100: 10

New Zealand

Education costs: $3,118

Median income: $19,265

Affordability: 16.18%

Highest ranked university: University of Auckland (173)

Netherlands

Education costs: $3,125

Median income: $28,032

Affordability: 11.15%

Highest ranked university: Utrecht University (63)

Finland

Education costs: $1,243

Median income: $21,010

Affordability: 5.92%

Highest ranked university: University of Helsinki (91)

Germany

Education costs: $933

Median income: $22,020

Affordability: 4.24%

Highest ranked university: Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (45)

Sweden

Education costs: $600

Median income: $20,716

Affordability: 2.89%

Highest ranked university: Karolinska Institute (32)

Number of universities in the top 100: 3

France

Education costs: $585

Median income: $20,660

Affordability: 2.83%

Highest ranked university: École Normale Supérieure (59)

Number of universities in the top 100: 3

Denmark

Education costs: $530

Median income: $22,929

Affordability: 2.31%

Highest ranked university: Aarhus University (125)

Norway

Education costs: $596

Median income: $26,623

Affordability: 2.24%

Highest ranked university: University of Oslo (181)

http://www.businessinsider.com/tuition-costs-by-country-college-higher-education-2012-6#mexico-1

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
elizabooks
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this
i would like to see the stats on the high school (or eequivalent) requirements for graduation for these countries. In some college is cheap because not many go there due to not needed a specialized degree unless one wants to go into a certain field. (medical, teaching)

tuplamama
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

A Finn here Hi. All education is free in Finland. Everybody must have equal chance to become whatever they want to. Also, university education is not valued here sameway as it seemed to be valued in USA. People do not go to university here unless it is required for their dreamjob.

Your clitoris has over 8000 sensitive nerve endings.......... foreskin has over 20 000.

Mandallyn
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I wonder how we could possibly have 51 of the highest ranked colleges when we as a nation are extremely low in comparison to other nations education standards (granted that its our public school education in that comparison, but still how could such a person make such a leap from our low primary school standards to highest ranked colleges)? I'd like to know how they decided who the top ranked colleges are as well. You would think with so many top ranked colleges we would be eager to send more people to them, rather than hiking up the interest costs on student loans and refusing to increase minimum wage or make higher learning more easily accessible to all demographics.
Mandallyn
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Is that because you learn more basics in primary school? Do you have trade schools during your primary school? That's so awesome, btw. I really wish I could have the chance to go to school for my dream job.

Quoting tuplamama:

A Finn here Hi. All education is free in Finland. Everybody must have equal chance to become whatever they want to. Also, university education is not valued here sameway as it seemed to be valued in USA. People do not go to university here unless it is required for their dreamjob.

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM

These are questions I have had!!

quoting Mandallyn
I wonder how we could possibly have 51 of the highest ranked colleges when we as a nation are extremely low in comparison to other nations education standards (granted that its our public school education in that comparison, but still how could such a person make such a leap from our low primary school standards to highest ranked colleges)? I'd like to know how they decided who the top ranked colleges are as well. You would think with so many top ranked colleges we would be eager to send more people to them, rather than hiking up the interest costs on student loans and refusing to increase minimum wage or make higher learning more easily accessible to all demographics.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
The people of those other countries definitely pay for their education in the form of taxes that absorb well over half their income. Over a lifetime, I wouldn't be surprised if each family paid enough in education taxes to send their kids to Harvard.
tuplamama
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I can of course only talk about my own country but I've never met a person who would pay taxes as high as "over half of income". I always feel very surreal when foreigners tell how much I pay taxes...I'm 46 years old and know lots of people here and no one I know pays such high taxes. It is true that if you are Bill Gates type of multi millionaire you probably wouldn't want to live here, you would pay higher taxes than for example in USA.

Tax money is not only used in education but it is used in equal healthcare services, social services to all from birth until death... I do not have to ever worry my kids going hungry or left without education, healthcare or home no matter what happens to me. And services are for everybody, rich and poor, young and old.

As far as education - grade school starts here when kids are 7 years old and lasts 9 years. After that you can apply to upper secondary school(lasts 3 years)and after that you are able to apply to university/college. Or after grade school you can apply to trade school. What ever makes you happy.

More here; http://www.minedu.fi/OPM/Koulutus/?lang=en

Your clitoris has over 8000 sensitive nerve endings.......... foreskin has over 20 000.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

According to a Finland message board, you pay national (income) taxes that fluctuates based on your income, and then a municipal tax, which is also progressive (varies dependent on your income)... which, for someone who makes a decent amount of money, could indeed add up to a percentage of more than half their income, when municipal and national taxes are combined.

Do you wonder if the the lack of desire for college education (which you professed as true yourself) could be because with a college education, a person would make more, thus paying much (much) more in taxes?

I know that here, most people wouldn't want to spend 8+ years in college and graduate school to give up 55% of their income to taxes.

Quoting tuplamama:

I can of course only talk about my own country but I've never met a person who would pay taxes as high as "over half of income". I always feel very surreal when foreigners tell how much I pay taxes...I'm 46 years old and know lots of people here and no one I know pays such high taxes. It is true that if you are Bill Gates type of multi millionaire you probably wouldn't want to live here, you would pay higher taxes than for example in USA.

Tax money is not only used in education but it is used in equal healthcare services, social services to all from birth until death... I do not have to ever worry my kids going hungry or left without education, healthcare or home no matter what happens to me. And services are for everybody, rich and poor, young and old.

As far as education - grade school starts here when kids are 7 years old and lasts 9 years. After that you can apply to upper secondary school(lasts 3 years)and after that you are able to apply to university/college. Or after grade school you can apply to trade school. What ever makes you happy.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Here is something to think about........
It's 1930-1945.
You have 2 countires.
1 country had 11 time zones and the other country was slightly larger than Pennsylvania.
The first country was liberal/communistic. The second was conservative.
The first had more natural resourses, in every way.
The second had, by comparison, a small percentage of those same natural resources?
Now, keeping in mind, these two countries both were ruled by dictators who were murderous, montrous and even evil.

Out of these 2 countries, which would you presume to have the highest of technologies?
Bear in mind that the larger of the 2 countries believed that all people were equal. While the secondcountry thrived on inequality, racism and bigotry. By THIS comparison, would you believe that there is a problem in our thinking? Who are the 2 countries and what is the only difference between them? Considering this, It is why our primary educational system is failing and our secondary educational system is thriving.
The age old addage of " You get what you pay for" would seem to be holding true here.
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM

You have to apply for secondary school? 

Quoting tuplamama:

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)