Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Keeping track of grades

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 10 Replies

I know (or think I know) that in the high school years you should keep track of grades and credit hours so they can graduate, go to college, or whatever, but it isn't important to keep track of all that during elementary and middle school levels, right???  Is there any reason that I should be giving them actual grades for things?  We don't have to answer to the county or be evaluated, so it isn't required for us, but I want to make sure there isn't some other reason why I should be doing it.  Sending them back to public/private school might be the only reason I'm guessing. 

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not give grades.  I actually do not plan on giving grades to my kids when they get into high school either.  Grades are a way of determining how children in one particular school are comparing to other children in that particular school.  Even colleges admit that they know some schools that inflate grades or curve grades and that they take that into account and really look more at SAT/ACT scores, recomendations, etc than they do grades and class rank.  Since I don't need to compare my kids to others, and colleges etc will not be able to determine how my grading stands up to others antway, I see no use for letter grades.  When my children score 87% or higher, we move on.  If they don't, we stay on that topic for a while longer.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No grades here at all.  I live in a state with low regs and see no need.  I most likely will not grade for high school.  I will keep a record/transctipt of areas studied.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I have started giving grades on some things to my oldest because it helps her see how well or poor she is doing on something.
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Only if that is required in your state for graduation & if they know they want to go to collage other wise you can chose to do them or not.
PEEK05
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I am going to but just for fun.  In elementary school, I will copy what I received as "grades."  We got E for excellent, S for satisfactory, and NS for non-satisfactory.  In middle school we got real grades though.

oredeb
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

i never gave my kids grades in elementry school or high school.  i dont see how they would help for college, i do believe colleges have their own ways of determining how the person is doing, it would be easy to lie on grades!!

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Except if you do a subject that can be counted for high school earlier, you shouldn't need to keep records or do grades. Now that's from what you've said about the laws in your state.
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I don't think I will be doing grades at all.  I actually like the way bluerooffarm does it.  As long as he is getting 87% or higher we will move on to the next concept.  The only reason I might give them is if DS feels they are needed since he had them in PS last year.  I don't think he really cares though.

almondpigeon
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM

my oldest homeschooler will be in 2nd grade this fall.  i've never really assigned grades & i'm not sure that i ever really will.  except for spelling tests....for some crazy reason, the girl loves to take spelling tests on fridays and she insists that i grade them.  she gets very excited to see a "100%" on the top of her paper. 

101stwife
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM

We are really new to all of this so this is something I am interested in as well.

Keeping grades confuses me because that is one of the reasons we home school. If they do not understand something then we stick with it until they do. So they should always have "good grades". Right now my plan is to not grade individual assignments. When we do an assignment if they get more than a couple wrong we go back over the lesson and they have a chance to correct their work. So far, that has worked and they end up getting what would be equivalent to an "A". I grade their tests then average them out for a "grade" and it has always been an "A" since they are proficient in the material.

I only focused on English/Reading and Math this year since they were coming out of PS. But, this year we have a full curriculum and I think I will also grade their projects but do it in a Pass/Fail method. Basically if they do the project, understood what it was about and showed good effort then it will be accepted.

We are military so we move a lot and every state is different with laws. I want to make sure wherever we go if someone asks to see records then I have something to show. Like I said before though, we are new to this so I am still learning. Hope that helps some.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)