Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do your kids have a tablet?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am considering getting a tablet for my little one for the fall. I know there are so many apps available that could be beneficial but wanted to get the consensus of the group first.

Do any of you have tablets for your kids? Do you find them helpful? How do you use them in conjunction with homeschooling?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
PEEK05
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM

No, but we are getting a Kindle Fire HD for the family and each will have their own profile.

Alyson121
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Are iPads considered tablets? We use those.  Hubby has downloaded quite a few apps for education that the children love. 

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

We have a tablet and ds has a ipad.  There are many good apps out there. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM
My kids both have iPod touches, but they are really toys, not very educational. I have an iPad but I don't plan on them using it much for homeschool. I got a new laptop, so they will use the old one mostly and we have a desktop I may set up for them to use for schoolwork.

Maybe I will look into cheaper tablets for them, but I haven't really had an intention to do that yet...we will see what homeschool looks like for us before investing in something like that I think.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM
We dont have a tablet. I will probably get one for the family for Christmas. This year, we got a really nice laptop for the family (OK, for me but I do have educational stuff on it for the kids.)
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

No, but I am not opposed to getting one.  I just haven't been able to yet.  I know there are a ton of great apps for them, especially educational ones.  He might get one for his birthday.

tiniowien
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Mine plays on my iPad, I have apps loaded for her, one is abc flash cards, numbers, stories, a color book app, a piano that has lessons built in, story bookw, and angry birds she only gets it in the car or in my lap for about half an hour a week, 

It has helped her learn to read, know colors, and numbers, 

lucsch
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I have a basic kindle for books for my dd10. I am considering getting something to use for educational videos and some apps. My little netbook just doesn't cut it for much more than internet and checking mail (videos are jerky). We have a desktop, too; but it is not in the schoolroom.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM

My sons have their own tablets.  I purchased  3 broken nooks for a replacement screen for $50 on ebay.  It turns out they all work fine.  We bought the nook for android SD card and it functions just like a tablet.  My boys love it.  We don't use it for books.  We mostly prefer reading books the old fashioned way.  My boys love crazy machines and bad piggies apps.  They are great apps built around creativity and problem solving.

101stwife
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM

We have an ipad for our family. There are so many cool apps that you can use for all ages but especially for my 5yo. Definitely was worth the money!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)