Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Considering Homeschool

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am not currently a homeschooling mom but I am considering it in the future.  Any opinions on programs like k12?  Also, how do you socialize your kids?  I noticed our YMCA has home school enrichment classes but what other methods are used?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cemommster
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM

We belong to a co op. They makte friends in their classes and our weekly play dates. They are apart of the youth program at our church. My ds is on a robotics team and my dd is in dance and American Heritage Girls. 

We use LifePac for my highschooler and thinking of a charter online school later for him.  I am using horizons for my 1st grade dd.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM
4 moms liked this

I have home educated for 20+ yrs and love it.  I personally would not have anything to do with K12 simply because you are still under the government's thumb. Just me. I do know that most people that I talk to do not care for K12 but a few do.  Socialization is teaching your children how to behave and act around people. You do not need for them to be around a bunch of children. You guys just do what you enjoy. I am sure you have family or friends that you trust and don't mind your child emulating.  We were a family that pretty well stayed to ourselves. We did everything together and did not take part in support groups, co-ops ect..  Not saying anything is wrong with that. Some people enjoy them and that is fine. It is also fine if you just stay at home with each other.  None and I mean none of our children were socially awkward or any thing that people like to say would happen. Most are already married with kids of their own. Most are very "social" and get out and do things.  So you just do what you are happy with and all will be fine.  I will also add that if you do home educate it will be the best decision of your life!  It is wonderful spending all that wonderful time with your children and knowing what they are being taught and protecting them both emotionally and physically.  It is also wonderful to see them grow up and begin to home educate their own children  :-)   (We have a bunch of grands that are already being educated at home)   Best wishes!!

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM

A lot of homeschools started with K12. Most of them leave. That in of itself says a lot. 

Kids are only as socialized as the community and parents allow for.

Your kids could go to public school, go home, sit around watching tv, go to bed ... - and be terribly socialized.

If you have family, a neighborhood with kids their age... then that is a start. Also there are homeschool groups, sports, art, and community theater. There is usually MORE than that out there though. Any community social event. Whether the many festivals, park clean ups, a local bookstore that has neat classes, the library... I know that where I live, the possibilities seem endless. I have to tell myself, there is only so much time that we have. I don't want to be running to every event. So I pick a few and sometimes change things up a bit. We have summer concerts at the park and first fridays in the city . These are HUGE social events and a neat experience.

I also have to stay on top of staying in touch with the parents and setting up play dates (this is the hardest part for me). 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Socializing is about more than hanging out with other kids.  It is teaching them how to interact in all social situations.  School does not provide socialization, it does not teach them how to interact with people of all ages and situations.  Just about everything you do outside the home provides an opportunity to teach your kids how to speak with others, including adults.  Grocery store, library, the park, get your kids involved in sports or join a co-op. 

As for K12, I don't know anything about it.  It was never on my radar for homeschooling.  I have heard a lot of people say they used it and really didn't like it.  Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck!  :)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Socialization is pretty easy for most homeschoolers. Socializing is a big problem for our family. If I am not careful we receive way too much of it. I work hard to make sure we have our days at home or otherwise our weeks can get really crazy.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Some people love k-12, some don't. Socialization was never an issue for us. Our kids got a much broader group of people to do that with, not just peers.
Quoting TimetoMomUp:

I am not currently a homeschooling mom but I am considering it in the future.  Any opinions on programs like k12?  Also, how do you socialize your kids?  I noticed our YMCA has home school enrichment classes but what other methods are used?

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I don't use the K12 system because we wanted to get away from the flawed public school system in our area.

As for socialization we have a ton of it. Actually it can be too much. People always worry about it but it is really easy to socialize the kids. Our local homeschooling groups do gatherings, park days, library days, trips to museums and hiking and such. The girls do Girl Scouts and know so many kids locally. They are involved in our local yarn community and attend groups where kids are available to hang out with.

I could easily do something with the kids for socialization every single day of the year but that is way too much for me. We have to limit their activities so they don't get over loaded.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Welcome TimetoMomup

How To Home School will give you the information you need to get started.  It links to  a good  news article from The New York Times about k12.   It also links to an eloquent article from a veteran home school dad explaining why veteran home educators shy clear of the government subsidized  K12 programs.   It is not that home educators are anti government by any means.  But many left the public schools because of the decline of education there, and work very hard to prevent that from happening to the home educated children 

P.S. For your convenience:

The New York Times Article about why so many parents end up withdrawing from the program Profits And Questions At Online Charter Schools

Government Subsidized Home Schooling Programs:  Will Family Educators Dodge This Bullet, by Roger Williams, a veteran Home School Dad.

This very interesting article on cafemom, My Journey From Public School Teacher To Homeschooling Mom also explains a lot.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM

I started out buying parts of the k12 system and I liked those parts as a curriculum.  Unfortunately I thought that what I bought and what they offered as public-school-at-home was the same.  It was not and so I pulled my child mid year.  Many families start out using one of the cyber companies and then leave.  I think it often depends on your reason for leaving the local public school to begin with.  I left to have more say in what and how my children learned, so k12 was just more of the same with the parent labeled as the "learning coach", and a "teacher" in charge of the class connect sessions and in charge of how much "intervention" your child needs.  I found it frustrating.  But that's just my opinion.

As far as socialization, my children have plenty of friends of all ages.  We are members of 2 co-ops and a church.  They play soccer and go to local music classes.  My oldest (8) is trying out for a play.  We go to family camp each year.  And we spend plenty of time at the local playground in the summer to KIT with his public school pals.

TimetoMomUp
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Thanks for the advice ladies.  I will be back in a bit, I am going to start reading all the links provided.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN