Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling... Where do you start?!?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM
  • 6 Replies
I am looking for any information of helpful hints on how to get started... My 16 year old nephew is having problmes in public school and we have decided that homeschool is our best option. I have "Googled" until I have gone cross-eyed and am still not sure what to do! I guess my first question is, what curriculm program so you suggest? Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!!
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Here are my best tips. 1. Look up your state laws. Make sure you are in compliance. I like this site rather than HSLDA http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm 2. Decide what your mutual goals for the future of your student are, high school degree, GED, college and so on. 3. Find out your teen's best learning styles. I'd use POC4U to aide this. http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html 4. Research ways to do an education along with your teen. I recommend The Teenage Liberation Handbook. 5. Pick out curriculum (if any) WITH your teen. I do not recommend buying a full curriculum the first year. It tends to lead to frustration and a waste of money. 6. Be flexible, expect change. 7. Locate local groups and resources. 8. Don't forget to make it fun, relax now and then, just enjoy each other. 9. Be sure to keep your student in touch with any friends they really want to spend time with and which you do not feel are a really bad influence. And finally, relax, relax, relax. The very best thing you can do is de-school. Let your students find what their are passions and pursue them. I have one that has won a four year academic scholarship and one that has won a renewable athletic scholarship. That's only my student athlete's first college visit and offer. There are more offers to come. Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it. Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years. BD
ladybuggirls
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Thank you so much for the advice... It is all overwhelming right now, but I really hope this is the best step for him!

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM

What state do you live in? The regulations are different in every state. And will you be the one schooling him?

ladybuggirls
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM
We live in Arkansas and I will be doing as much as I can... I work as a substitute in the elem in our town... That's another concern... While I am comfortable teaching younger kids (because I'm smarter than most of them 😉) I am not the brightest when it comes to high school math and science... Is there any help he can get for the subjects that I'm lacking knowledge in?...
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM

HSLDA is a great place to start to check your state regulations.

Many highschool subjects can be "farmed" out : )  There are so many resources out there it will blow your mind. My highschooler uses Math U See for math, Bob Jones for science, Rosetta Stone for Spanish, Mystery of History for history and Bob Jones for language.

at age 16 he could take courses from the local community college or take the CLEP exam for some subjects and skip them all together or you could put him in a program where all of his classes are on the computer......and the choices go on and on. The choice will just be based on your state laws, his long term goals, money and your religious preferences (because a lot of the materials out there are from a Christian perspective).

Quoting ladybuggirls:

We live in Arkansas and I will be doing as much as I can... I work as a substitute in the elem in our town... That's another concern... While I am comfortable teaching younger kids (because I'm smarter than most of them 😉) I am not the brightest when it comes to high school math and science... Is there any help he can get for the subjects that I'm lacking knowledge in?...

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:42 AM

As a home school workshop leader,  I put together the following free web page to answer your questions.  Since he is 16, pay particular attention to Dual Enrollment under the high school section.  State laws are the first step, and the article gives you a link to find your state home school laws. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN