Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

doctor appointment, sick, stuff to do, who watches the kids

Posted by   + Show Post

some of you may already be getting sick of my posts about starting off on the homeschool life, but my biggest fear is not getting down time and time for my physical therapy. I haven't family near by and babysitters are hard to hold onto if you don't promise a lot of regular hours...my husband has been out of work and just got hired...yay...but the reality of being on my own is hitting me more and more...and the enormity of the responsibility. Maybe it's because I'm on the third day of recovering from a stomach bug, but I'm thinking, "what would I do if I had to watch the boomies all by myself right now?" God help us all.

Any inspirational stories out there? Anyone else get cold feet?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Replies (11-19):
mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I have friends who homeschool and will watch the kids if needed and vice versa.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My kids used to go with me to appointments. I brought something for them to do. I needed to see a chiropractor four days a week mininum. My kids were 8, 5, and 1 at the time. I once got a comment and I asked the woman what people do in the summer time with their kids. That got her to be more understanding.

Only once did we have a real issue. My then 9 year old felt sick and left her 6 year old brother with the 2 year old in the stroller in the waiting room. She threw up in the toilet and then told the receptionist she got sick and wanted mommy. I was strapped to a table and they finished me up immediately and we left.

As I told the woman who commented: parents must do this even if their kids are public schooled. When the vacations come around the kids must attend appointments with even those parents. Offices are ready for this.

That 9 year old who threw up is now 18 so she can watch her siblings but they often still join me to appointments. They sit in the grass and read and wait for me. They have been known to build a snowman in the chiropractors front yard. He loves it. I sometimes get complaints that I am too quick and I have to wait for them to finish.

wowguildmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Down time for me is the rare saturday that i can afford to tag along with DH's mom to her painting class she goes to, or when i play my video games after they go to bed. all other times i am on my own due to DH's work schedule is very chaotic. 

I also am a severe migrane sufferer, on days i am unable to really move around we do things like watch history channel or free reading. Although alot of the time they just come and sit with me and work on their workbook stuff.

Don't underestimate your self and your kiddoes you can do this!

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Other homeschoolers are a GREAT resource for sick days or even those crazy days when you feel like you are going to pull all your hair out if you have to do it all alone for one more minute : )

I hope you are all better from the stomach bug. Those are NO fun for anyone. On days like that, videos, board games and read alouds are great resources. And if your kids are older, they can have those days where you are sick to brush up on their Home Ec. skills! Let them pick up the house, make you lunch, write out a grocery list, watch the little ones and anything to lighten your worry.

My kids are about to be 16 and 13. So, we are in the phase of life where I can go to the store or run errands alone. You will get there. But for now, don't stress when you have to take all the kids with you somewhere. Who cares what other people think or how many dirty looks you may get? Take it all in stride and make the Dr's visit a teachable moment for your kids. Talk about ways to avoid the stomach bug. Talk about how good nutrition can help us keep infections away. Look up diagrams of the human stomach and the cow stomach and talk about the differences. Keep it fun for them.

Get well!

Quoting ashlelyb_0827:

Quoting mem82:

Beyond what the others have send, maybe you can find a homeschooling teen who would be willing to babysit.

EXACTLY what my suggestion was going to be! Or another homeschooling mama who you can swap sick days/appointment days with. 

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I am fortunate that my oldest is able to help watch the younger 2 & help out when I need him to help.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I've never had any help either. My dh is not exactly a hands on dad, even ifhis hours would allow it . My kids go everywhere with me and I don't get sick days. Early on I started training my kids for independence. I don't have to stay right on top of them. My down time is after they are in bed.
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I don't live near family, nor do they watch my children.  They've been kind enough to drive hours and hours to me when either my husband or I have landed in the hospital, but it's not always a possibility, and I know it.  We don't have babysitters, and have been able to make it work for us.  My husbands works long hours and in the past has had to travel for his job.  I'm the person schooling our children.

When I was sick and they were younger we just took a break until I was well again.  Now that they're older I just toss a light workload at them that I know they can work on independently, and then I rest up.  I have always taken my children to doctors appointments, the DMV and everywhere else with me.  Well, until recently, now they are all old enough to stay home if they wish to.  I always keep bottled water in the back of our van, and when the kids were little I always had snacks with me, and books or whatever else that would keep them still and entertained.  I also made sure I taught them that if they don't sit still and behave, there will be huge repercussions when we leave and I can focus better on them.  I've been fortunate enough that they have all been great at behaving in public.

If you feel you need somebody when you go into physical therapy to watch your children, then you may be able to connect with homeschoolers in your area through co-ops and meet-up groups that might be able to help.  If you're religious and belong to a church, they too might be able to help, or just hiring a babysitter or sending your children to daycare for those hours, or that day in the week when you need one.

My best friend is homeschooling her 7 year old and she takes her to all her physical therapy appointments, to the chiropractor, and doctors.  She does what I did, which was prepared a bag for her daughter and taught her to sit still and wait for mommy to be done, then she went home and made it a light day of schooling for her daughter.

You'll find a way to make things work for you.  Nearly every family I know homeschooling has only one parent doing it.  I also know a lot of single moms that homeschool and work, and they make it work for them.  You could enroll your children into homeschool classes during the middle of the day in the week, and during those hours that they are in their class, you can go to your appointments (I know a mom that does this).

AFMamaButterfly
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM
We are a military homeschooling family so family help is far away. I either take my kids with me (with activities to keep them occupied) or trade babysitting with a friend (other homeschooling moms usually help each other out. My husband helps when he can (especially for a night out once in awhile). When I am sick we either do what we can with me resting, maybe watch some educational programs, or simply take a sick day. My kids (8 and 5) are pretty good at helping me when I am not 100%. It can be a challenge, but it is doable and your kids will actually learn how to help around the house when needed and how to behave in different settings. I recently had to go to a doctor on a fairly regular (once or twice a week) basis and I just brought stuff to entertain them quietly and instructed them on how I expected them to behave. We got compliments on their behavior each time, so it was good for them to learn. Other moms, though, are definitely a huge help for times when you just can't take them. We don't keep track but help each other out as needed. That's the military family way of surviving. :-)
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

This is where having a good local homeschool support group comes in handy. Forget the legal support or help with school work, its the times that I needed to get something done without the kids or I was sick and couldn't get them to an activity that having a group of local homeschoolers was a livesaver. My youngest is 15 now other than an occasional ride somewhere, we are good. However I do have freinds with younger homeschoolers and have no problem watching them. Sure I mgiht not need them to return the favor, but who cares?

I also used to switch off carpooling to and from girl scouts with a mom that lives not far away. We would also end up watching each others kid for a couple of hours after the meeting. It was great to know that every other week I had a free 1/2 day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)