Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think of this teaching strategy?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 9 Replies

http://www.upworthy.com/watch-a-teacher-make-her-3rd-grade-kids-hate-each-other-for-the-best-reason-imaginable-2?g=2

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have time to watch this now but it looks really, really interesting! Bump for later
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

That wouldn't fly in today's classroom, but I think it was a pretty good way to teach them about discrimination and how it really feels.  It was only a small taste, but it made a difference, at least for a little while. 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I have done this. It does work.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Honestly I can't get behind this style of teaching.  i see it as counter productive.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I have to watch the rest later, but so far i can.see how this works, teaching what its like to be in.someone.else shoes for a very brief moment.
mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
It's a golden rule approach. My mom apply this on us.
MacMamaof5
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

This has really opened my eyes.  I don't see why this type of teaching would not be effective for children in the classroom now days.  The problem is just as real in this day and time as it was then.  My son just went thru discrimination at his school.  I have volunteered there and seen the discrimination myself.  I have witnessed a little black child being ignored by 3 adults (a teacher, student counselor, and a tutor) supposedly there to assist any student that needed help.  I watched him go back and forth to each asking if someone would help him with his reading assignment.  The teacher spotted me watching and asked if I'd do it and I said yes.  Then the little boy confided in me why he didn't like being there.  "Everyone ignores me," he said.  "They never let me play games with them or let me play with them."  I was volunteering because my son had a complaint that he was cutting up with this little boy. My son hates bullies and decided to team up with this kid and unfortunately went about the wrong way.  The boy saw no self worth in himself and since was being ignored, found no reason to sit still to listen to a teacher who would never call on him. It still exists.  Perhaps we need this training to make a comeback.  

*Fortunately, my son is pulled BACK HOME!  I will still educated him, but I am going to continue to teach him to stand up for those who can't speak up for themselves!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I think it was just as much of a learning experience for the teacher as the kids, which IMO is the best kind of learning.  Great and thoughtful discussions.  But I hope there are no lasting repercussions from it.  Just tolerance.

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this woman!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)