Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Should Schools Offer Cash Bonuses for Good Test Scores?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 16 Replies

To students and teachers.

Come and join the fun at the:sunglasses mini

KymberleeAnn's Corner for African American Women

Or the Adorable Ladies group

www.cafemom.com/group/118327

www.cafemom.com/group/118542 Adorable Ladies Link

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Cash bonuses to who, the teacher of the students?

KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Both

Quoting kmath:

Cash bonuses to who, the teacher of the students?

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see the point in it.  If you offer it to teachers, they will teach even more strictly to the test, and won't worry about all the stuff the kids are missing out on.  If you offer it to the kids, they are going to memorize what will be on the test and not worry about anything else.  Plus it sucks for kids who are bad at taking tests but actually know the material.  It is also unfair to teachers who are in classes with kids who don't do well on tests or who don't care about school at all.  I don't think it helps anything and I think it makes schools worse than they already are. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM

From what money? 

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My children have friends who live down the street from us that are in the local public school.  Pretty much every year around state testing time I hear how their teacher makes mouth sounds (grunts) if they are writing the wrong answer in or how their teacher just out right tells them the answer to their state testing.  I just love hearing how they get practice test that mirror the state tests exactly.

Do I think that teachers should cheat and then get paid extra for it... no, do I think it's become commonplace to "help" your students that way in order to get them to pass, sadly yes.  I can't say I blame any teacher that does as it's now not too uncommon that if the teachers students don't score a certain amount they are out a job.  Those teachers are trying to protect their job, but I don't agree with their method.

What I would like, is to have no monetary value, nothing placed on a child's test score.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Good question.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

From what money? 

lucsch
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

No, it is just more evidence of how testing has only made our public education worse--an example of a way to kill the love of learning!

lucsch
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

In the district where my dh works, if test scores go down in a teacher's class, she can lose her job. He has told me they spend most of the year teaching to the test requirements. They only get about 6 weeks to do creative planning at the end of the year. By then, everyone is exhausted and stressed out.

Quoting Knightquester:

My children have friends who live down the street from us that are in the local public school.  Pretty much every year around state testing time I hear how their teacher makes mouth sounds (grunts) if they are writing the wrong answer in or how their teacher just out right tells them the answer to their state testing.  I just love hearing how they get practice test that mirror the state tests exactly.

Do I think that teachers should cheat and then get paid extra for it... no, do I think it's become commonplace to "help" your students that way in order to get them to pass, sadly yes.  I can't say I blame any teacher that does as it's now not too uncommon that if the teachers students don't score a certain amount they are out a job.  Those teachers are trying to protect their job, but I don't agree with their method.

What I would like, is to have no monetary value, nothing placed on a child's test score.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Sadly, it's that way all over, and it shouldn't be that way.

Quoting lucsch:

In the district where my dh works, if test scores go down in a teacher's class, she can lose her job. He has told me they spend most of the year teaching to the test requirements. They only get about 6 weeks to do creative planning at the end of the year. By then, everyone is exhausted and stressed out.

Quoting Knightquester:

oredeb
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM

nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)