Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is it about public school that you are against?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 112 Replies

I am curious as to what everyone is afraid of with public school. I went to school growing up and it wasn't evil. My kids went to public school and it wasn't evil. What am I missing?

I chose to home school because I felt that I could give them a better one on one and focus on reading where they were lacking. We are Catholic but it has nothing to do with why I home school. No matter what the school teaches I am confident in my parenting and what our family believes and has taught our children. Even when they were in public school I was very involved in their education and what they were learning. If something was being taught that I didn't agree with we always discussed it. I always knew where my kids were, what they were doing and who they were hanging around.

I just don't understand what is so evil about public school. Is it the curriculum? Being around people who believe differently than you?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM
9 moms liked this

Who said public school was evil? I never have.

What it is, is a government program that prioritizes itself, funding and classroom management, rather than actual education or the kids that go there.

It can work for some, if not most. It's often not a really good fit though. In trying to do for  "all" it often loses the ability to serve all that well.

101stwife
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

What it is, is a government program that prioritizes itself, funding and classroom management, rather than actual education or the kids that go there.

It can work for some, if not most. It's often not a really good fit though. In trying to do for  "all" it often loses the ability to serve all that well.

It isn't that any one person said it was evil. It is just the feeling that I get from some of the posts I have read. It really took me off guard.

I agree that traditional school follows a one size fits all approach which doesn't work for some kids. It most definitely didn't for my middle son which is why we began home schooling. I also think that traditional school is more interested in money than the actual education they are supposed to be providing.

However, when someone says they would never put their kid in school no matter what...including not being able to financially provide for their family it gives me the impression there is something really awful about school. There are many aspects of raising children, not just what kind of school they do or do not go to.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no problem with public school.  In fact the ps my son went to last year is awesome.  There are some incredible teachers there and I adored his teacher from last year.  DS just doesn't fit the "one size fits all" teaching style they have in PS.  He is a hands on learner and does better when he can move around and fiddle with things while working.  In PS, he is a distraction to the other kids.  He also can't stand too much repitition.  Once he understands a concept he is ready to move on.  The constant drilling and the same worksheets over and over again bore the snot out of him. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I just think many of us have had bad experiences and we talk about them. Most of us, I'm guessing don't hate public school.

Quoting 101stwife:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

It isn't that any one person said it was evil. It is just the feeling that I get from some of the posts I have read. It really took me off guard.

I agree that traditional school follows a one size fits all approach which doesn't work for some kids. It most definitely didn't for my middle son which is why we began home schooling. I also think that traditional school is more interested in money than the actual education they are supposed to be providing.

However, when someone says they would never put their kid in school no matter what...including not being able to financially provide for their family it gives me the impression there is something really awful about school. There are many aspects of raising children, not just what kind of school they do or do not go to.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I was one of the ones who said no matter what I would home school. My oldest had a bad time and public school can not meet her needs as she is gifted and all over the board.

If my other children choose public school as long as they are learning and happy I am fine but my oldest will more than likely never ever go back to public school.

Quoting 101stwife:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I don't hate ps nor do I think they are evil. For me I didn't pull my daughter put because the school was bad. One of the reasons I pulled her pulled her out was because of no child left behind. She was also complaining about being bored during class. That said a lot to me. So we started homeschooling. I also said I would keep myddaughter out of ps no matter what. I say that because of common core and bullying. We recently had a girl who went to middle school commit suicide due to being bullied. No child needs to go through that.
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't believe in teaching towards a standardized test. 

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I also do not believe public school to be evil. I think it is one means to educate, but it should not be the only means. Public school works for some children and their families, not for others. I want my son to love learning. I want him to be able to choose what he wants to learn about. I want him to learn how to think for himself instead of memorizing facts. I want him to be creative, inquisitive and cultured. I also love that we are able to educate him at home in half the time with better results... that's all. 

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM
8 moms liked this

Gee, where to start.  The peer pressure, the bullying, the immoral teaching, the violence, downslide in academics,  ect... I despised the schools when I was in school in the 70's. Even more so when my oldest children had to start in the mid 80's.  I was so glad when I heard of home education.  I yanked them out that week and have been home educating ever since (20 + yrs).  

Lorik1969
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Public schools are brainwashing centers. It's nothing new, but it seems to be getting worse. I've reeducated my kids on certain topics after they tell me what they've learned that day. I wouldn't homeschool becasue I don't feel qualified to do so, plus I want them to have the social interaction on a daily basis.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)