Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is it about public school that you are against?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am curious as to what everyone is afraid of with public school. I went to school growing up and it wasn't evil. My kids went to public school and it wasn't evil. What am I missing?

I chose to home school because I felt that I could give them a better one on one and focus on reading where they were lacking. We are Catholic but it has nothing to do with why I home school. No matter what the school teaches I am confident in my parenting and what our family believes and has taught our children. Even when they were in public school I was very involved in their education and what they were learning. If something was being taught that I didn't agree with we always discussed it. I always knew where my kids were, what they were doing and who they were hanging around.

I just don't understand what is so evil about public school. Is it the curriculum? Being around people who believe differently than you?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Replies (71-80):
101stwife
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I'm one of the ones who said I'd homeschool no matter what. I have a very strong opinion on the subject and I make no apologies for it. My reasons are more numerous than can be addressed on this forum, but I'll hit the highlights. Families weren't meant to be split up 8 hours a day, plain and simple. Children weren't meant to be away from the sanctaury of family to this extent. It is just unnatural to take a 4, in some cases 3 yr old out of the mothers influence and separate them. Siblings who are separated like that do not form the bond that is necessary to keep families strong if they are in separate classrooms all day every day.                          

The government has no place in education. We don't let the government have our churches, why do we let them have our schools?  These children do not belong to the government. I do not want anyone telling me how or what to teach my children. They are mine. I will feed, nurture and educate as I see fit. God gave me this responsibility and I won't hand it over to someone else.

When people talk about their concern for what kids are learning in school, its not always about the curriculum. Do you realize that some children are getting sexual mis-information on the playground as young as kindergarten? Oh, I know, you'll say that you can make sure they are getting correct information, but do they need to even HAVE the information? Does a 5 yr old need to know what a bj is and how to give one? Sorry for being blunt, but these are actual things that happen in schools. At one time, my tiny little 5 yr old child wanted all her shirts to be shorter so that she could show her stomach like so-and-so does because boys like that.  In Kindergarten,my dd was being taught sexualization.  How is this ok with anybody?

I don't care how involved you are, how often you are volunteering at the school, how much intervention you do, and how well you raise your children, the world is out there rubbing off on your children. The ugliness of our fallen world will touch your children. You do not put delicate seedlings out in to the garden until they are what gardeners call "hardened off". Meaning they must be strong enough and solid enough before you put them out into the garden to survive the elements. Until then they are protected and cared for under specific conditions to make them thrive once they are out there. Homeshcooling is our greenhouse. Family comes first, strong moral character is our priority over academic achievement, and I do not apologize for that.

I really like this explaination. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Okay. Where to start. I am one of those who hated school from the vry moment i started in kindergarten. Never had much positive to say about any of the public schools that I went to. As for the teachers, I had a few that were worth anything in the whole 12 years that I went to school. Now, mybrother did wellno matter what school he was sent to. He always did excpetionally well.BUT, that is because he was both smart AND socially exceptional as well. And BOTH of those are a fit for anyone, anywhere. Now not all children have this type of personality. In fact, about half to 75% of children are not this type. Those children are the children that are being failed, in every way. I realize that there are some good schools out there but those are now few and far between. They are the excetion rather than the rule. Which should not be the case where education of our children should be concerned.

I and many more like me have gne through sheer hell in a public school setting. For many reasons. Also, public school is not the same as it was back some 10, 20 and even 30 years ago. Today, public schools are nowhere near the standards of those eras and they were all that great to begin with. But, compare them to what the majority of public schools today are like and todays schools lare on a spiraling downfall and no matter how much money and time we taxpayers throw at it, the public scool system is never going to be what it once used to be in our yester years. Sadly. Tragically. So, with these facts in hand, why would I want to put my chiildren througgh any of the hundred horrible experiences that have been aforementioned? I just moved from a neighborhood where the cops have to stay at most of the local schools because of the type of environment that is going on in these schools. These kids truly would muder if they thought they could get away with it. And i am talking about first graders and up through high school. My next door neighbor's son tried to harm my 10, 7 and 4 year olds. They had to put him in juvie becaause he woukldniot get his act together. The only reason we lived there was because it was the only place we could afford. We had to suffer for 2 years before we could move away. I homeschool for a variety of reasons and not just the state of affairs our public schools are in. But, this post is about thoughts of the public school and why homeschoolers are taking their kids out of this system and homeschooling them. IF the public schools were doing the bang up job that the public would have society at large believe, then why are parents pulling their children out by up to 12 % every year since 2009 at last calculation? The answer is.... the public schools are NOT doing the bang up job that the system is pushing is happening. And knowing what I personally know and have experienced for myself, I willnever put my chidren through that unneeded life experience. All 7 of my kids are extremely social and have no problems socializing out in the public. They all know how to act accordingly in all age groups. And my 4 year old does not know anything about sex or anything pertaining to sex. She will know what she needs to know at the appropriate time for her and not by some kid who is only ever parroting what the adults in their lives talk about and physically show in opublic. We work and work anmd homeschol and do whatever it takes to make our family unit work. But that is just me and how I think, feel, believe. If someone else chooses different from my choices, well then that is that. Who am I to say that what they are doing is wrong for their family? Now, I have hopefully shown what a lot of homeschholers have experienced in regards to the public school system. For themselvves growing up and or their children experiencinbg the same as their parent(s). Just remember that some homeschooling families choose to homeschool from the beginning because they wanted that personal experience with their children/families and not as a last resort to serious problems that wouldn't couldn't reolve themselves any other way.

EDITED ADDED.....
I heartily apologize for my mis spelled words. My little netbook is not being very co-operative today.
TheMommysLife
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM
The reason I like homeschool over traditional school, is because my kids receive more one on one attention and because they get to spend more time on each subject. Plus in traditional school, my kids rarely had art or music class and in science they never had hands on science lessons. I don't think traditional school is evil.
MessedUpMama
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't hate Public School, it just isn't right for my DS. He went to PS for 4 years, all of those years he was in a special classroom. He was behind by about a year, which we expected because of other issues he was dealing with. In kindergarten through second grade he was in the same classroom with the same teacher. That teacher was great for DS. At the end of second grade he was only 3 months behind in reading and catching up fast in all other areas.

When he went to third grade he had to go to different classroom with a different teacher. This classroom was for third, fourth and fifth grades. At the beginning for the year we had DS's eyes checked and found out that he is severely far sighted. The Doctor said that it was amazing that DS had ever learned to read considering how far sighted he is. The first month or so, after getting his glasses, he had some trouble adjusting to his glasses. He got headaches, and felt like his eyes were tired all the time. Which are normal adjustment symptoms. The Teacher gave him two in school suspensions because of these problems and the way DS dealt with them. (He put his head down on his desk for a couple of minutes when his head hurt, and he was irritable and appeared to threaten the teacher when she yelled at him to sit up right and lift his head off the desk). Also during this time we asked her if she could watch him for a couple of things that might indicate that something else was wrong. DS has mild Cerebral Palsy. It wouldn't have been a big deal for her to notice these things, such as shaking his head and a hand twitch. She said that she hadn't noticed anything that she would associate with epilepsy so she wouldn't bother with the other stuff. Even when told that his Doctor was concerned with it.

DS tends to get obsessed with a subject and has a hard time breaking away from it. His first Teacher understood and redirected him when necessary, or related things he was learning to whatever he was stuck on. His second Teacher didn't. She got angry with him when he talked too much about Star Wars. The school district has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to weapons. It never was a problem until his second Teacher wouldn't redirect him to something else when he talked about Light Sabers or blasters. Instead she sent him to the office. Both schools are in the same district.

By the end of third grade DS was a year behind in reading, again, according to the testing the school did. There were many problems with DS and this teacher that caused some of this reading difficulty. He started to hate school, when before he loved school enough that a threat of not going to school if he didn't behave would straighten him up right away.

In our school district there are some great teachers, but there are quite a few who aren't so good. They don't have a focus on academics for the special education children, leaving them behind their peers. DS has his quirks, he has a delay of about a year academically and socially, but he can and does learn quickly at that level. He wasn't getting much academically. They were going to pass him along to fourth grade even though he was doing beginning of third grade work.

The second Teacher DS had wasn't a good fit for him. I'm sure she's a good teacher, just not for DS. He needed a different learning situation in order to learn the things he needs to learn.

On a purely personal level, homeschooling allows us to work at our schedule, so that DS gets some time with his Dad everyday. DH works an evening job, when DS was in PS he said goodbye to his Dad who woke up for a couple of minutes and that was it until his Dad's days off. Now they get an hour before DH goes to work, and 3 hours after work and all day on his days off.

To answer your question, I don't hate Public School. I do think that Public school is a good fit for some kids, but isn't for others. My DS will probably never go back to Public School, unless you consider college to be public school.

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Children through history did not have the childhood that I think maybe you think they have had. http://www.localhistories.org/children.html I don't think attending school for SIX hrs is the worst thing to happen to children. Many kids even enjoy and thrive in the public school system - and not just the bullies, the secular kids, the mediocre, or etc.

MANY MANY people WILLINGLY send their kids to school for SIX hours a day. 

Many people use the services that the government offers. Many of you were willing to use the governments assistance before allowing the government to offer your children an education. - Which is fine, but in some cases, that can be contradicting or hypocritical. 

I personally do not feel that in most cases, using the services offered by the government, does not mean they OWN you. I also do not believe that parents OWN their kids either. But to get into some of these topics get to get into some deeper conversations - which is a worthy and interesting one to have. 

Sadly, some children struggle to make the transition into the parts of the world they have been sheltered from. One must be careful in the sheltering that is done. To ignore that reality, may end up having a higher price than you ever imagined or meant for.

Some people are just trying to be helpful because they DO understand WHY you want to do it, but see the pros AND CONS of it. They are just trying to help. You are free do as you wish though. You ARE the one responsible for the beginnings of that persons life - and DO have the freedom to make the choices you feel are right.

I NEVER want our country to resemble the horrors of North Korea - or other lessons from the past and present. I am thankful that we DO have those freedoms, and I DO wish for everyone to have a reasonable amount of freedom. Freedom really is a tricky issue. Like Lincoln said many many years ago in the Gettysburg address... we are testing out something huge here in the USA, a belief in freedom and equality, of whether it can really exist and endure.

*shrugs* I mean we all have the right to choose for our kids and we each have our own reasons driving that decision. We need to respect each others reasons and decisions. Yet, also remain humble enough to be able to listening with a critical and objectional mind. If you walk away with the same opinion as you started with - good. It means you can stand even more solid in your decision.

Just my humble two cents.  

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I'm one of the ones who said I'd homeschool no matter what. I have a very strong opinion on the subject and I make no apologies for it. My reasons are more numerous than can be addressed on this forum, but I'll hit the highlights. Families weren't meant to be split up 8 hours a day, plain and simple. Children weren't meant to be away from the sanctaury of family to this extent. It is just unnatural to take a 4, in some cases 3 yr old out of the mothers influence and separate them. Siblings who are separated like that do not form the bond that is necessary to keep families strong if they are in separate classrooms all day every day.                          

The government has no place in education. We don't let the government have our churches, why do we let them have our schools?  These children do not belong to the government. I do not want anyone telling me how or what to teach my children. They are mine. I will feed, nurture and educate as I see fit. God gave me this responsibility and I won't hand it over to someone else.

When people talk about their concern for what kids are learning in school, its not always about the curriculum. Do you realize that some children are getting sexual mis-information on the playground as young as kindergarten? Oh, I know, you'll say that you can make sure they are getting correct information, but do they need to even HAVE the information? Does a 5 yr old need to know what a bj is and how to give one? Sorry for being blunt, but these are actual things that happen in schools. At one time, my tiny little 5 yr old child wanted all her shirts to be shorter so that she could show her stomach like so-and-so does because boys like that.  In Kindergarten,my dd was being taught sexualization.  How is this ok with anybody?

I don't care how involved you are, how often you are volunteering at the school, how much intervention you do, and how well you raise your children, the world is out there rubbing off on your children. The ugliness of our fallen world will touch your children. You do not put delicate seedlings out in to the garden until they are what gardeners call "hardened off". Meaning they must be strong enough and solid enough before you put them out into the garden to survive the elements. Until then they are protected and cared for under specific conditions to make them thrive once they are out there. Homeshcooling is our greenhouse. Family comes first, strong moral character is our priority over academic achievement, and I do not apologize for that.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

kckmom3
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Yes! I wish I could "like" this a thousand more times!!! 

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
For us, we didn't start out not liking public school. My husband and I both went, and just figured our kids would too. Then we sent our oldest one to kindergarten.

She got knocked down by 6th graders, but she was the one who got in trouble for being out of the line.

By the time she sat down to eat lunch, they were bringing the trash can around and made her throw away 75% or more of her food, so she was always starving when she got home.

Instead of helping her, her teacher would make her sit outside the classroom, alone, for entire class periods because she was crying. Just because she didn't know how to use the computer and no one would help her. I don't sit my kids on a computer at that age, so she didn't know much about them.
The teachers response to me was "she doesn't have time to teach her how to use a computer."

In the lunchroom, a child pulled his pants down and mooned the entire lunch room. He was also a kindergartener.

Every single day for the second half of the school year, she would be crying when she came off the bus. She had gotten so stressed out she was having stomach pains.

They feed sugar cereals and donuts every morning for breakfast, and encourage everyone to eat it. (Free for everyone). Then they use candy and treats daily.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilypatricia
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter associating with kids whose parents have no standards at all. Cussing, dating, rebellious attitude, Godless, etc. It has nothing to do with the education really, (because all I'd like her to do is graduate), but it's the bad influence of society. "Bad associations spoil useful habits." I want my daughter to associate with people who encourage the values taught at home. It's not sheltering, it's choosing different associates. With that said, my daughter isn't homeschooling. She did traditional public school from kindergarten to first grade, now for second grade she is going to a public Charter School. I am in this group because I like the idea of alternatives.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I wouldn't say it's evil.  My kids just finished 4th and 5th grades and I just finished my 5th year working in the ps system. I started thinking about hsing when my oldest was in 2nd grade.  Then before he entered 5th (middle school here) his dad asked me to allow his wife to hs our son.  I said no at that point.  Then I saw how much time he spent fooling around on computers this year since he was always finished his work early.  He never had homework (which I am not completely against, but everyone else in the class did have homework and the expectations for him were no different than everyone else, when he is a kid that can meet much higher expectations).

I watched my youngest struggling more and more, with some academics, as well as with fitting in.  In 3rd grade her teacher called her annoying in front of the whole class (along with other issues going on in the class).  This year in 4th grade she cried often about the catty girls and mean boys.  Her teacher didn't know who she was when my husband went to dismiss her from school early in January. 

I have watched the teacher in my classroom become obsessed with the common core.  I have seen the standards and watched them try to be implemented.  I was working on my MEd and dealing a lot with the standards.  Then I started using my brain and looking at what was really going on.  I didn't like what was being taught and what was being left out.  I didn't like how everything was all about the standards and not about the kids.

PS works for most people, it's what our society deems 'normal' and many people follow along without ever questioning it.  I think I can provide a better education for my kids because I love them more than any teacher ever could.  I can focus more on two kids than 25.  I can limit their exposure to certain people if those people give them a hard time or they don't want to see them.  I can't help my daughter avoid the boy that called her ugly if she goes to school-in a way it's a learning experience, but for a child like her who has been through more than she should have it knocked her self esteem way down, just when we had started to build it back up. 

My reasons for hsing do not include "ps's are evil."  But they do include that I can offer more than the ps, that my kids will do better not in ps, that they can be challenged more and learn more, that they can have all kinds of friends and actually really get to know them.  Along with lots of other reasons.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting emilypatricia:

My daughter associating with kids whose parents have no standards at all. Cussing, dating, rebellious attitude, Godless, etc. It has nothing to do with the education really, (because all I'd like her to do is graduate), but it's the bad influence of society. "Bad associations spoil useful habits." I want my daughter to associate with people who encourage the values taught at home. It's not sheltering, it's choosing different associates. With that said, my daughter isn't homeschooling. She did traditional public school from kindergarten to first grade, now for second grade she is going to a public Charter School. I am in this group because I like the idea of alternatives.

I love what you had o say for the most part. The only exception I have is the word "alternative". I would use the word "option" instead. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN