Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is it about public school that you are against?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am curious as to what everyone is afraid of with public school. I went to school growing up and it wasn't evil. My kids went to public school and it wasn't evil. What am I missing?

I chose to home school because I felt that I could give them a better one on one and focus on reading where they were lacking. We are Catholic but it has nothing to do with why I home school. No matter what the school teaches I am confident in my parenting and what our family believes and has taught our children. Even when they were in public school I was very involved in their education and what they were learning. If something was being taught that I didn't agree with we always discussed it. I always knew where my kids were, what they were doing and who they were hanging around.

I just don't understand what is so evil about public school. Is it the curriculum? Being around people who believe differently than you?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Replies (81-90):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I am a mom that had my kids in ps and we just finished our last day yesterday, and now we are homeschoolers. I don't feel out of place at all. I feel so welcome, especially in this group. I think the comments in the "would you ever send your kids to ps" post weren't meant as "public school is evil my precious children will never go there" it was more "we already HS and feel its best and would do whatever we have to to continue this way of educating our kids."

I think most parents do what they think is best for their kids. And our society for the most part sends their kids off to school for 8 hours a day without a second thought, it's just how we do things. Then, for people like us, we see something we question and wonder if there is a better option. Then we decide hsing is a better option for us and we try it out.

I worked in the ps up until yesterday (technically I am still employed with them, I haven't officially resigned yet) and I was working on my MEd, both of which required lots of research and using the common core. I watched it get implemented in the kindergarten classroom I was in, I saw the teacher become obsessed and lose focus of what should be really important. I am seeing the dumbing down, I am seeing the way they seem to be slowly and systematically leaving out important things that we as a society will need to continue the freedom and lifestyles we are allowed to have now. I am scared for the future of our children to be honest. I am hoping that by hsing my kids not only can I give them individualized education and boost their confidence and intelligence, but I can also help create individual thinkers with strong beliefs and values that will help continue to make our country great.

You should research the common core, you will be shocked by some of the things you find. I was actually going to start a blog about it because I couldn't believe what I was finding but I had to go looking for it.

Quoting 101stwife:

It was not intended to be antagonistic. I am just trying to understand what about public school is so horrible because some of the recent comments. The majority of the posters I agree with. But there were a few comments very recently that had me scratching my head. My kids were in public school...comments like some that I have read seem to look down on ps kids/families and I don't understand why. The same with ps in general.

As I said, some of the reasons I understand. Even if they aren't my reasons I get it. I just don't get the big divide. I guess and since we have done both I feel out of place.

And as for the common core...again, I don't know much about it and need to do some research which is why I asked if some of the reasoning was because of the curriculum. I have heard a lot of conversations about common core but haven't had the chance to look very deep into it. From previous posters I am getting that it is basically dumbing everything down?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, the very tone that your post is written in is very antagonistic.

I do NOT believe public school is evil. I disagree with their priorities (these days they seem more concerned with teaching their version of morals than they do about the 3 R's), I think the teachers are overwhelmed, and I disagree with not having any say over what my child learns, by whom, and when.

With that said, we're Catholic too. Have you peeked at the new common core standards? Specifically the sexuality education standards? Just curious.

We do homeschool, in part, for religious reasons, but not solely (because we also have some good Catholic schools here) - we also homeschool because I believe I can give my children a wholly more well rounded education (and a faith integrated one at that).

No, I'm not scared of the children who are different than we are (most of our family and friends are public schoolers).

zandizane
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Watch IndoctriNation...

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly I hate public schools. I do not ever want my kids back into that type of system. Why? Because a public school is no place to raise a Christian child, imo. There is way too much peer pressure, way too much "tolerance" being taught (and ironically enough; not enough academics), way too much bullying, etc... Kids bringing guns to school isn't evil and scary? Yes I'd rather have my children home with me and safe than have to worry about seeing them alive at the end of the day. I'd rather my children grow up surrounded by our beliefs and morals rather than being around those who are do not hold Christian beliefs near and dear. Now this wasn't the reason I started homeschooling; however, it's definitely a perk.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I don't think all public schools are evil. I took my daughter out because she learned better with me. Her teacher told my daughter she didn't want to hear it when Destinay told her that this boy said innappropriate comments to her. In her old school kids would laugh at her in gym but the gym teacher didn't do anything about it. I can't say all teachers in public schools are bad. It is based on the person not all in general. My son goes to a school for kids with special emotional needs and I think it is a great school, I have a good relationship with the teachers and his counselor. He has 6 kids total in his class with 3 teachers. I can't complain at all.
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing this!  Very informative.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I am a mom that had my kids in ps and we just finished our last day yesterday, and now we are homeschoolers. I don't feel out of place at all. I feel so welcome, especially in this group. I think the comments in the "would you ever send your kids to ps" post weren't meant as "public school is evil my precious children will never go there" it was more "we already HS and feel its best and would do whatever we have to to continue this way of educating our kids."

I think most parents do what they think is best for their kids. And our society for the most part sends their kids off to school for 8 hours a day without a second thought, it's just how we do things. Then, for people like us, we see something we question and wonder if there is a better option. Then we decide hsing is a better option for us and we try it out.

I worked in the ps up until yesterday (technically I am still employed with them, I haven't officially resigned yet) and I was working on my MEd, both of which required lots of research and using the common core. I watched it get implemented in the kindergarten classroom I was in, I saw the teacher become obsessed and lose focus of what should be really important. I am seeing the dumbing down, I am seeing the way they seem to be slowly and systematically leaving out important things that we as a society will need to continue the freedom and lifestyles we are allowed to have now. I am scared for the future of our children to be honest. I am hoping that by hsing my kids not only can I give them individualized education and boost their confidence and intelligence, but I can also help create individual thinkers with strong beliefs and values that will help continue to make our country great.

You should research the common core, you will be shocked by some of the things you find. I was actually going to start a blog about it because I couldn't believe what I was finding but I had to go looking for it.

Quoting 101stwife:

It was not intended to be antagonistic. I am just trying to understand what about public school is so horrible because some of the recent comments. The majority of the posters I agree with. But there were a few comments very recently that had me scratching my head. My kids were in public school...comments like some that I have read seem to look down on ps kids/families and I don't understand why. The same with ps in general.

As I said, some of the reasons I understand. Even if they aren't my reasons I get it. I just don't get the big divide. I guess and since we have done both I feel out of place.

And as for the common core...again, I don't know much about it and need to do some research which is why I asked if some of the reasoning was because of the curriculum. I have heard a lot of conversations about common core but haven't had the chance to look very deep into it. From previous posters I am getting that it is basically dumbing everything down?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, the very tone that your post is written in is very antagonistic.

I do NOT believe public school is evil. I disagree with their priorities (these days they seem more concerned with teaching their version of morals than they do about the 3 R's), I think the teachers are overwhelmed, and I disagree with not having any say over what my child learns, by whom, and when.

With that said, we're Catholic too. Have you peeked at the new common core standards? Specifically the sexuality education standards? Just curious.

We do homeschool, in part, for religious reasons, but not solely (because we also have some good Catholic schools here) - we also homeschool because I believe I can give my children a wholly more well rounded education (and a faith integrated one at that).

No, I'm not scared of the children who are different than we are (most of our family and friends are public schoolers).

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I dont have issues with public school. I think it is great.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Great views. imho :)

Quoting chotovec82:

Honestly I hate public schools. I do not ever want my kids back into that type of system. Why? Because a public school is no place to raise a Christian child, imo. There is way too much peer pressure, way too much "tolerance" being taught (and ironically enough; not enough academics), way too much bullying, etc... Kids bringing guns to school isn't evil and scary? Yes I'd rather have my children home with me and safe than have to worry about seeing them alive at the end of the day. I'd rather my children grow up surrounded by our beliefs and morals rather than being around those who are do not hold Christian beliefs near and dear. Now this wasn't the reason I started homeschooling; however, it's definitely a perk.

undefined

JTE11
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM

The district I live in is the district I attended and in the time since I graduated it has changed for the worse. It has become so much less safe and it stresses sports and especially football above all else, so a good quality education is not possible here anymore. We do not have any chance of moving to a different (better) district so I have made the decision that I will teach her instead of sending her to public school here. It's not really about beliefs, although there is some aspect of that included in my decision but it's mainly the fact that this district is no longer safe and has declined academically.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Public schools are not inherently evil, however there are some public schools that perform extremely poor, are not equipped to handle children that learn differently, and are not capable of maintaining good communication with the parent. 

Momof697
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

The schools around here tell the kids that their parents do not know how to teach so parents are always wrong when helping with homework. For instance I know a lady who has 2 DD's in school One is a fast learner and one is slower. This mom homeschooled so she knows how her children learn best. She was helping the slower one with spelling and having her write the word several times and she would always pass the test. The teacher found out and told the girl that her mom does not know how to help so she should not be asking her mom for help. Ever since the girl was failing spelling. 

My school district actually graduated someone who could not spell the number 8 he thought there was a "q" in it. Really. My neighbor at 14 did not know 5x5 or 5x6. He learned it by working on oour farm. I know the school are not all bad but when my 11 yr old was smarter than that 14 yr old I think I am doing what is right with my children.

If you must know the reason the number 1 reason I homeschool is I know that is what God wants me to do. My Dh is in accordance with it and I willingly submit to both of them and do it.  My kids have never been in Ps or private school I have been their only teacher other than at Sunday School.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)