Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is it about public school that you are against?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am curious as to what everyone is afraid of with public school. I went to school growing up and it wasn't evil. My kids went to public school and it wasn't evil. What am I missing?

I chose to home school because I felt that I could give them a better one on one and focus on reading where they were lacking. We are Catholic but it has nothing to do with why I home school. No matter what the school teaches I am confident in my parenting and what our family believes and has taught our children. Even when they were in public school I was very involved in their education and what they were learning. If something was being taught that I didn't agree with we always discussed it. I always knew where my kids were, what they were doing and who they were hanging around.

I just don't understand what is so evil about public school. Is it the curriculum? Being around people who believe differently than you?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Replies (91-100):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

celticdragon77, I too was bullied until the age of 13. Some very compassionate people helped by teaching me the following things (among other things):

1.  I cannot change others, but I can change myself, and thus the way others are allowed to react to me.

2.  When one is different (in looks intelligence or behavior,) or even small in stature, they are easy targets.  So they, more than others, must learn how to stand up for themselves.

3.  We are not responsible for the behavior of others, only our own.

4.  Don't allow depression to set in over how others treat us, because it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.  Being bullied can make us depressed, angry or more compassionate.  The choice is ours. 

5.  We  are all capable of great cruelty, and great kindness, and no one escapes life without making mistakes (even me).   However  I value kindness, and seek to be that way...to always make a positive difference. So be willing to forgive.  Forgiving does not mean forgetting...it means letting go of the pain.

You are special, celticdragon77, because you have had an experience that required you to be stronger than most.  The bullies made you who you are...made you special. we are all made special by life experiences, unless we let them take us down.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I just wanted to address this part... There is a difference between an adult in real life vs a child at school. 

I was bullied at school severely. I had to just deal with it. It was and is a cultural part of society. I would go to teachers and nothing was done about it. Unfortunately for me, I also lived foster care and did not have parents who step in on my behalf. In fact, the response when I went to adults was "toughen up and get tougher skin, it is just the way things are, what are you doing to cause it?, etc. I was helpless. I started skipping classes and leaving school by middle school years, because the bullying was too much. To this day, the scars are there. It changed who I am.  

YEARS later, I worked at a company and a guy harassed me while there. When I went to my boss, she did nothing. In fact, I heard many of the same things from her that I did as a kid... "just ignore it and it will go away, toughen up, what did you do to cause it?, etc. It was allowed to continue. Things ended up really bad with that situation and I ended up having to quit my job. I also sued the company for allowing it to happen. I won! In real life, it is not legal to allow such things to happen.  

Kids can't quit and get a new school, they can't sue, they don't always have someone to protect them, they are not able to protect themselves.

I do not homeschool for these reasons at all though. I just wanted to clarify these differences. 

Quoting 101stwife:

Many of the things as far as peer pressure and bullying are part of life. What happens when they grow up? They will still have to deal with these things. I do understand that sometimes there are extremes. But, generally people have to learn to deal with people who are mean. There are some really mean adults out there and you can't avoid them all. Learning how to deal with people is an important part of life.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM
For me it always had to do with the people.
MelanieKross
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I am a publc school teacher and I second that!  Was it an experience with a bad teacher?  Because if so there are negative people in every profession, but 90% are wonderful people who are really helping children in a public school setting...??

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Most teachers and parents deeply care about the children in their care.  However in the U.S. public school system,  it is out of the teachers (and parents) hands.  American Schools Failing:  Not Finlands. Why

Quoting MelanieKross:

I am a publc school teacher and I second that!  Was it an experience with a bad teacher?  Because if so there are negative people in every profession, but 90% are wonderful people who are really helping children in a public school setting...??

101stwife
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Quoting MelanieKross:

My kids went to public school until last year. For the most part it was a good experience. In their first elementary school my boys had amazing teachers. The school was great, the kids for the most part were good kids and it wasn't unsafe. We did not experience much of what the people who have posted here did. And I am so thankful for that.

Reading through some of what other people have experienced breaks my heart. I can see how if my child endured some of what these other kids did I would feel strongly too. I just hate that they had such horrible experiences that it has tainted their view of public schools to include those who work there or the other kids/families that go there. I think that most of the time the majority of teachers have the kids' best interests at heart and that there are some really great families whos kids home school.

We home school now because the ratio of kids to teachers was out of control and my kids weren't getting what they needed. I am thankful to be able to home school my kids, it has been a great experience! I just hope that I don't start feeling like everyone connected with public schools are bad.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I did not experience that in our public school system. I had to report two teachers for abusing my son and both led to investigations that ended in favor of my son. One woman was formally discharged from the educational system and forbidden from working in public school environments again. My daughter had tons of problems with her teachers as well. I was flat out told by one woman that she couldn't care about all the children. I fully believe that the teachers are jaded and taught now not to care. They can't offer help to students who need it, they can't hug a crying child, they can't ask the child what is even wrong at times. They are being desensitized to the needs of the children. 

Quoting romacox:

Most teachers and parents deeply care about the children in their care.  However in the U.S. public school system,  it is out of the teachers (and parents) hands.  American Schools Failing:  Not Finlands. Why

Quoting MelanieKross:

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not know where you teach but that is not how it is here.

My daughter is 18 now and flat our refuses to even put her own children that she will have years from now into public school. She said flat out she was ignored by multiple teachers the day a boy tried to kill her. They would not let her speak to them, no one would hold her, she got shoved away by one teacher when she finally tried to force herself into her arms, and she ended up having to sneak into the teachers lounge to call me because no one would call me. She went to numerous teachers. I was told they couldn't let her talk because they were not therapists. Um .... no that is not ok. She was on his hit list. It was the most disgusting thing I ever heard of.

I went into the school past the police officers to see children in puppy piles being yelled at for holding each other. The kids could not move though. Many children flat out wandered off campus when no one was looking. I spent the rest of the day calling parents and bringing children I didn't even know back and forth from the school because no parents were called. Kids kept asking me to please take them too. I know dozens of families that pulled their kids that day. Later we had to attend a town meeting where we were scolded as parents by a teacher because our children didn't know how to cope with a boy bringing a gun to school. The kids were 12 years old. I just do not get where anyone cared about the kids.  

Now mind you I have a list of other incidences going back to kindergarten. I never saw any shred of humanity from my childrens educators. Some areas just have nothing left. The good teachers just don't stay here. I am serious. I have seen many leave because they can't handle the schools yet the kids are forced to stay there.

My biggest regret is thinking that homeschooling was so horrible for so long. I was taught that this was the worst idea ever. Now I know better. I would not put my kids back in these schools but we can not move yet. Once we can I may actually put my kids into a public school ......... in another country.

Quoting MelanieKross:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:01 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting 101stwife:

I'm sorry but there is a point that, imho, needs clarified. My children have never stepped foot inside of a classroom in a public school yet they have been treat with the utmost disrespect and their very lives threatened by other children and adults that were in the public school system. My kids had to fight every day they went out to play. Not 1 child they encountered was homeschooled but every child was public schooled and they had terrible educational skills. They were rude as thunder. My whole family's lives were threatened by these children and their parents. Every time one of my kids' friends would come over, they would ask what we taught and why and then would ask if |I would be their teacher since they wanted to be as smart as my kids. These kids' education was seriously lacking. And that is given to them by the local public school system. Everywhere we have lived has been similar to this place just not as physically threatening. Mine and my husband's public school experience, over 30 years ago, was terrible but it beat what is happening in today's schools. If the public schools were doing even the least bit that is reported, there wouldn't be the number of drop outs nor the number of illiterates nor the number of college students going to remedial classes in college nor there would notbe the number of families pulling their children out of the system and educating them at home. There is something terribly wrong with the public system today and NO ONE wants to acknowledge it!!! THAT is a tragedy. THAT is also a big reason homeschoolers feel soo strongly about homeschooling in general and specifically This is not meant to be a bash but a place of information so that those questions like you asked may be understood with the answers.
arwalters
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I've never thought it was evil but I had a very hard time in public school myself. Where I live the schools seem to be behind the rest of the world. I was very unprepared when we moved overseas and the other kids in my grade at the American school were so far ahead in ended up being held back.  I eventually started homeschooling and was whizzing through the curriculum. I would finish an entire grade in one semester, felt great and like I was actually learning something. I he b/c I'm too sick to work and I love having ds home with me. School time makes for some of our best bonding moments. I love seeing his face light up with excitement when he "gets it". There are a lot of reasons I don't want him in public school and since I'm home anyway I feel like hsing is right for us.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM
No child left behind was one of the main reasons I pulled my daughter out of public school. We had good teachers, just bad policies that the school had to follow. I didn't want my daughter coming out of school not knowing anything.
Another reason was I don't agree with teaching the kids to pass a standardized test. That test isn't the real world. I also don't like common core.

Quoting MelanieKross:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)