Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm in search of a solution! ( Opinions/Advice Please)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM
  • 20 Replies
I am a mother of 6 children ages 13, almost 10, 8, almost 6yo twins, and 4... My children currently attend public school but I have been considering the free cyber charter school programs for a few years. Next school year our school district has planned to layoff almost 4,000 employees and staff which to me is a big problem! Our schools are already understaffed and not completely safe so I feel its just gonna be even worse!!! I don't know what to do at this point? I am afraid that I won't be able to handle the cyber program ( with 5 school age and my youngest ) it just seems that I will be too overwhelmed!!! I want the best for my children of course but what if it doesn't work out and I end up having to put them back in? Any tips on how to prepare myself and my children for such a drastic change, organization, or anything else that I may need to know??? Please help me!!!
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
livanded
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM
sorry I am no help, we are just finishing up our first year. just wanted to stop by and wish you luck with whatever you decide.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Where are you located?  This will help other ladies in your area to come in and help.

I homeschool all 4 of my children who are all at different levels.  I will have one still in an online school next year.  I am not happy with that but as long as she is learning I let her choose. 

Cyber schools is more stress with multiple children.  Your 13 year old would probably do most of his work himself though.

Do you have a local public charter homeschool?  Here in California they are one of the best options if you are afraid you may put them back in public school.

My children are 7,6,4 and 3.  We do history and science together and the older two sit down and do their work while I do a 20 min preschool with my younger ones.  Then I give the younger 2 worksheets ( they scribble) and work with the older 2 on math if they are working on similar objectives that day.  Then we do reading and lit seperatly.  The 6,4 and 3 year olds work on one set of lit. The 7 year old on another. 

It is do able with 6 kids.  I had 5 (my 4 year old niece joined us) last year.

101stwife
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Hello! This is our first year home schooling after our kids going through public school. My oldest uses K12 and the younger 3 are doing traditional home school. It is a big change!

Do you have a place that you can designate as your school area? I think with so many kids that are coming from traditional public school it would be an easier transition to have a school area. K12 provided my oldest with a computer and printer. I set him up with a desk. Your 13 year old, if using something like K12 will be mostly work with his/her teacher. The younger ones will need more interaction with you.

Get a day planner and use different color pens for each child to know what their schedules are. Find when they work best during the day. I have one kid that loves to get up and get started right away, and another one who works best after 10am. I would break the day up and work with some of them in the morning and some in the afternoon. Figure out what works best for you.

If you use a program like K12 there really isn't too much planning or anything that you need to do because it is pretty much all laid out for you. Hope that helps a little. The first year is a learning experience.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:40 AM

As a home school workshop leader, I put together the following free web page to answer your questions.

How To Home School

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Cyber-schooling multiple children (especially K-3 children) is a whole lot more stress than traditionally homeschooling them.  I agree with the others that the first year is a learning experience.  I love homeschooling my kids and wouldn't change it for the world!  Good luck with your decision!

ddjnn
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I live in Philadelphia PA... I don't really have an area of my house to designate as the school area. I do plan to get either desk or folding tables (leaning towards folding tables due to limited space and the schools send laptops) I plan to have to set up & break down daily. My 13yo has always been an extra set of hands so I will probably have her help after she completes her own assignments. I am not sure though that I can do traditional home schooling, I've never looked into that! Time to do some research... Thanks for the advice so far! Please keep it coming!
oredeb
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

hi ddjnn and welcome! im homeschooling 7 right now and its not so hard, i just get help from them and teach a few of them together. remember you dont have to do school the tradition way the public school does it. figure out what works for you. sometimes we lay around on the couch and do work, sometimes we sit at the table and do it, or go outside, etc

when theres more than 1 child needing help, either have your older ones help them if your busy or have them work on a handwriting copybook, or read till you or someone can get to them.

ive never used the cyber schools so dont know about them, but how many computers do you have to work with? i dont know if you can do the courses on idpads?

if you traditionally homeschool the kids there are some subjects you can do with all of them, like history, science, bible, music, art, some reading,

the only subjects that the kids do separate are lang. arts and math.

yes folding table and a book shelf are good ideas for hsing a bunch of kids when theres not much room!! you can even do it at your kitchen table if its big enough. or if its warm where you are do it outside! the bookshelf is good for storing the school stuff of each child. i use tubs for each child and put them on the shelf. A file cabinet is handy also for all the loose paper and ideas you come up with.

to prepare youself, how bout scouting out some homeschool groups in your area? ask questions, moms like to help moms! be sure to keep asking questions on here, we love helping out!

like the other moms said the first year is the hardest, but if you really want to hs your gona make it, when somethings not working try something else, get some help ask questions,  i dont know how you raise your kids but theres gotta be some discipline involved for you and the kids, they need to know you are mom and to obey you, dad needs to be on board about it all always backing you up, and always be consistent in discipline follow through what you tell the kids your gona do.

it would probably be a good idea to deschool the ones who have already been to schools this summer as you do research, how do the kids feel about homeschooling?

tnovak
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I just did one semester of cyber like school, it was butt hard, with other kids.  It does take a lot of time. I would personally think about your childrens temperment and ability to do things without you.  I personally thought the on line school did require a ton of work.  Unfortunately I tried connecting with homeschool moms and got nowhere,  So I really felt all alone.  It was so hard.  Everything about your life will change.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

You never know if you don't try.  If you don't like it and put them back into public school, then you at least tried something new to fix a situation you know you already don't like, which is sending them to an even more unsafe public school.

I'm not a huge fan of cyber schools, but that is because I do have multiple children and it requires a lot more rigid, time consuming and structured work from both them and me.  I have seen it work for many families and it's an alternative you shouldn't discount.

I personally enjoy homeschooling my four children either independently, or through our charter schools homeschool program.  I can alter and modify our schedules, and create my own lesson plans, teach the way they learn best using methods and materials I know work best with each of them, in essence it gives me more control and freedom over their schooling.

I suggest that you learn your states homeschooling laws, regardless if you do cyber schooling or not you should know the laws in your state, here's a good site to look that up: http://www.hslda.org/.  If you're on the fence it might help to talk to homeschoolers in your area.  Maybe look up homeschool groups and co-ops and see if you can meet up with them, ask questions and learn more about homeschooling.  These groups are especially helpful if you do decide to homeschool since you can continue to do some things I'm sure your children enjoyed doing in public school, like field trips, PE, and social get togethers in the middle of the school day with other children their ages.

The first year is usually the hardest, not for everybody, but it seems to be one of those make it or break it years for many who attempt homeschooling.  Walk into it knowing you may have to re-program your children's way of viewing you as something more than just mom, you will now be teacher too.  You may also run into hiccups along the way with one or more children in certain areas, where you'll have to find a specific approach.  Don't get discouraged and remember there are so many resources, sites and groups out there for you to seek help and information from.

Good luck, no matter what you decide.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM

The beauty of homeschooling is, you don't need very much room to do it.  If you have a kitchen table, then you can use that as your desks.  You can even use the living room floor (my sons favorite place to work).  I have desks, but it's not something all of my children prefer to work on.  I also have portable lap desks, they are just hard boards that can sit on your lap to write on.

Don't stress over the little things, like "where" you'll homeschool, just try to learn more about what it is you're thinking about doing right now, and go from there.  Traditional homeschooling is by far easier than what most people think.  I'm sure it is also intimidating if you don't know where to start or what to do.  Again, look up those homeschooling laws, and talk to homeschoolers.

Once you know what route you are going to head down when it comes to your childrens schooling, then create a new post in here asking for ideas, where to start, and what others do.  Remember to filter out what you need, and try not to take to heart what everybody in your life, online or anywhere else say.  Some people have good intentions that come out the wrong way, and some people are just incapable of giving a logical and educated response without adding their own opinions and ideas of what they think.

Quoting ddjnn:

I live in Philadelphia PA... I don't really have an area of my house to designate as the school area. I do plan to get either desk or folding tables (leaning towards folding tables due to limited space and the schools send laptops) I plan to have to set up & break down daily. My 13yo has always been an extra set of hands so I will probably have her help after she completes her own assignments. I am not sure though that I can do traditional home schooling, I've never looked into that! Time to do some research... Thanks for the advice so far! Please keep it coming!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)