Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm in search of a solution! ( Opinions/Advice Please)

Posted by   + Show Post
I am a mother of 6 children ages 13, almost 10, 8, almost 6yo twins, and 4... My children currently attend public school but I have been considering the free cyber charter school programs for a few years. Next school year our school district has planned to layoff almost 4,000 employees and staff which to me is a big problem! Our schools are already understaffed and not completely safe so I feel its just gonna be even worse!!! I don't know what to do at this point? I am afraid that I won't be able to handle the cyber program ( with 5 school age and my youngest ) it just seems that I will be too overwhelmed!!! I want the best for my children of course but what if it doesn't work out and I end up having to put them back in? Any tips on how to prepare myself and my children for such a drastic change, organization, or anything else that I may need to know??? Please help me!!!
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Quoting tnovak:

I just did one semester of cyber like school, it was butt hard, with other kids.  It does take a lot of time. I would personally think about your childrens temperment and ability to do things without you.  I personally thought the on line school did require a ton of work.  Unfortunately I tried connecting with homeschool moms and got nowhere,  So I really felt all alone.  It was so hard.  Everything about your life will change.

Hi tnovak. I am orry to hear that you are having such a difficult time starting out and not being able to connect to other homeschooling families. Maybe there is something I can help you with?

undefined

TheMommysLife
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I use K12, online schooling. This past year was our first year and I had two children enrolled. I was afraid it would be really overwhelming but it really wasn't. Our school offered so much support and because they have a lesson plan in place already, it helps a lot.

TheMommysLife
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM
We have a small desk for the computer and printer and then in the drawers I keep printer paper, notebook paper, pens, pencils, etc... I also use rubber maid tubs for each child for text books, binders and other learning equipment. I stack them all in a closet. The work they do that is not on the computer, we do at the kitchen table or coffee table.
Quoting ddjnn:

I live in Philadelphia PA... I don't really have an area of my house to designate as the school area. I do plan to get either desk or folding tables (leaning towards folding tables due to limited space and the schools send laptops) I plan to have to set up & break down daily. My 13yo has always been an extra set of hands so I will probably have her help after she completes her own assignments. I am not sure though that I can do traditional home schooling, I've never looked into that! Time to do some research... Thanks for the advice so far! Please keep it coming!
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I homeschool five children right now. I know beginning is scary but soon you will see it's actually easier to homeschool than you would think.

Each family is different. Some of us use online communities either through the school system or privately, some buy full curriculums, some buy books separately, there are books like The Well Trained Mind that suggest books in their version, and then there are people like me who homeschool through their public library mainly.

I suggest you go to your local bookstore and grab the beginning homeschooling books and explore them. Even your local library could have them. Bring a notebook and take lots of notes.

Also start the children learning now in the summer. Get books from the library, watch shows on Animal Planet our something, go for hikes and such. Don't worry about grades. Just have fun and see them learn.

Big thing is to breathe.

You were your childs first teacher after all. You did a great job at teaching them to walk and talk and feed themselves. You can do this.

I'm autistic and I do it so you will be fine.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Quoting ddjnn:

I live in Philadelphia PA... I don't really have an area of my house to designate as the school area. I do plan to get either desk or folding tables (leaning towards folding tables due to limited space and the schools send laptops) I plan to have to set up & break down daily. My 13yo has always been an extra set of hands so I will probably have her help after she completes her own assignments. I am not sure though that I can do traditional home schooling, I've never looked into that! Time to do some research... Thanks for the advice so far! Please keep it coming!

When it gets bone cold around our house we close up the classroom and have all of our classes at the kitchen table and the bench around the woodstove.  That's one of the best things about homeschooling is you can do it anywhere and not have a designated area!

We have a rolling cart with a shelf so everything can roll back to the classroom or out of the way before supper. :-) 

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

There are more than 4,000 employees in your school district? WOW! And it was understaffed? How large of a population is your school district serving?

Our former school district had a staff just under 700 and served a population of just over 40,000. Our current school district has a staff of 200 and serves a population of 10,000.

Quoting ddjnn:

I am a mother of 6 children ages 13, almost 10, 8, almost 6yo twins, and 4... My children currently attend public school but I have been considering the free cyber charter school programs for a few years. Next school year our school district has planned to layoff almost 4,000 employees and staff which to me is a big problem! Our schools are already understaffed and not completely safe so I feel its just gonna be even worse!!! I don't know what to do at this point? I am afraid that I won't be able to handle the cyber program ( with 5 school age and my youngest ) it just seems that I will be too overwhelmed!!! I want the best for my children of course but what if it doesn't work out and I end up having to put them back in? Any tips on how to prepare myself and my children for such a drastic change, organization, or anything else that I may need to know??? Please help me!!!

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Do you plan on using cyber school? I would recommend that maybe only the oldest use a cyber school (if any of the kids at all) and the rest use a curriculum that can be used for multiple kids of different ages.

Everything else is just based on personal preferences and what works for your family. For some, having a schedule so that the day does not feel like chaos and so that everything is taken care of (like house chores), helps. For others, that is too restrictive. You will need to allow some time and have some patience while you figure out what works for your family. You might find that no matter what, you can not handle the ENMOROUS responsibility of taking of 6 kids, the house, doing school, and more. But if the situation is truly as bad as you fear, then it will have been worth the try - unless you already KNOW it will be too much for you. To be honest, I have three kids, but my son might be quite the challenge for me. Homeschooling might not be right for him. So don't feel bad if it is too much try and doing it for 6 kids. I don't know if I could do it.    

Quoting ddjnn:

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:38 AM

I don't have space in my house to devote to homeschooling either.

In the living room: Minus the basic furniture we already had... I bought an artistic map of the world, a coffee table that would work for two kids to sit at, in the living room, a large fluffy pillow to sit on, a large used chalkboard that someone was selling, an art easel, montessori type rug, stole a clear plastic tray from the food court, bought some bamboo bowls, and banagrams... these all stay in the living room. 

For the dining room: I bought a bookcase, and a storage unit that has baskets in it. 

Misc: I bought some used bookcases at yard sales, put them in a storage area - for books and supplies. I also bought some plastic gardening storage units for our projects to be stored. I bought to plastic foldable table stands at WalMart.

My kids can use the kitchen table, the sofa, the beanbag chairs, the coffee table, go outside...

clipboards, they are handy as well. Also, and this may seem odd, but something like a tackle box is handy as well. My kids keep a good battery operated pencil sharpener, pencils, highlighters, post it notes, colored pencils, scissors, stick glue, tape, and other handy misc items in it. They can carry it around and have everything right there with them.  

My kids didn't want to homeschool with it feeling like a classroom. It was too weird for them. Things are organized and accessible. Yet, out of the way and out of sight for the most part.   

Quoting ddjnn:

ddjnn
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Thanks ladies!
tnovak
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, thats really sweet.  

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting tnovak:

I just did one semester of cyber like school, it was butt hard, with other kids.  It does take a lot of time. I would personally think about your childrens temperment and ability to do things without you.  I personally thought the on line school did require a ton of work.  Unfortunately I tried connecting with homeschool moms and got nowhere,  So I really felt all alone.  It was so hard.  Everything about your life will change.

Hi tnovak. I am orry to hear that you are having such a difficult time starting out and not being able to connect to other homeschooling families. Maybe there is something I can help you with?

Theresa
         busy mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)