Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Last day...

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this
Today was our last day of school!! (How ridiculous is that? I think we were the last district in the country to get out, lol). It was bittersweet picking dd up at school after her last day at the elementary school and her last day of ps! DS is on the bus now (he begged to ride it one more time while dd was done and wanted a ride home!). It was also my last day at work since I work in the district. Only two people there know I'm not coming back, so it made it easier to say goodbye. I will meet with the principal the first week of August to officially resign. I am thankful to not have to get into it with all my teacher coworkers! Now I can wait and visit in the fall after we start and I am loving it, I won't have any reservations then (or hopefully I can hide them if I do, lol). I will miss many of my coworkers, it's a great little school and if my kids could have stayed there forever, we wouldn't have questioned ps! I really did love my job, but I am ready to be home more. Now to just find something part time to help pay the bills!

I am so ready to start really planning and getting in to being home! I can't wait to get our books and to be able to plan more than history :)
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Remember to take some time to transition from PS to homeschool the suggested time is 1 month for every year in school, this should help make things easier.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM
We are deschooling for most of the summer. They won't have any expectations except to read (whatever they choose) most days. DS is taking his first HS class-an app building class- in August which I don't think will feel much like school :). We intend to start with HS when ps starts the first week of September, but we will be taking it easy and I am willing to take breaks and put stuff off if they don't seem ready. They will have 5 and 6 years of ps behind them, that just seems like a very long time to deschool, but we are mostly unschooling with some structure and guidance so I think we will have an ok transisition. But like I said, I will be flexible. The whole reason I'm doing this is to meet their needs :)

Quoting usmom3:

Remember to take some time to transition from PS to homeschool the suggested time is 1 month for every year in school, this should help make things easier.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Congrats!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Wow! I am getting excited with you. lol :) And if you need some moral support, just jump in here and we will give you all the support you need. :) You can do this, I know it!
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Glad you are finally out of school!  I am sure you guys will do great with homeschooling.  Seems like you have a pretty good plan in place.  DS and I are just starting this year as well and we are going to take it very slowly as well.  Good luck!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Geez that IS late. My last day was May 24. I understand the bittersweet feeling. I was looking at pictures the other day and found some of D on his first day of K when he was so excited. The school held a reception for us retirees and one of the teachers gave a speech about me in which she 'outed" my plans to homeschool. I had to field alot of socialization questions afterwards.

BTW my assistant principal called me today to give me my final evaluation scores that the state just released. I'm already so far removed from all that now. I had to ask her for the name of the website so I could acknowledge the report lol. It gets easier as time goes by.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)