Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

co op class advice

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 10 Replies
So I found a co op. They start in Sept. But are having a meeting tonight.

They are looking for someone to do a fun early reading and math class for the younger set of kids.

I have hook on phonics, phonic factory and all kinds of stuff for that age group of early education.

I would use a lot of ink and printer paper but that is as far as expenses would go. They want everyone to bring in projected class fees and a plan.

What would you charge if that's all you would need?

What would you want to see in an early skills class?
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Maybe charge like $2/kid per class? I have no idea really. My kids are taking their first co op class and it is $5.75 per kid per class, it is an engineering class ages 9-12.

How early? Like what age group? If its like pre k and kinder, I would start letter recognition, number recognition...does it go the whole "school" year? If so, I would think basic math (how to add and subtract, introduce coins and money, introduce a clock, etc) start learning sounds of letters and how letters are put together to make words, the differences between letters, words, and sentences.

I would love to teach a class like that! Right up my alley and I will be missing teaching the little ones!!
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Does the co-op provide any materials? Will they make copies for you? And how many weeks of classes are there?

If the co-op provides a printer and paper AND has some materials for you to use, then that would help keep your budget low, like in the $2 to $3 range. If they provide nothing, not even copies, then you should budget for $5 to $7 per child.

To fill the time, you should plan on incorporating a fun activitiy/craft to go along with each lesson. Maybe even have a book or 2 on hand that ties into your subject matter. Remember, when teaching this age group, you will need to keep them encaged and have plenty of things to fill the time frame.

I am the director of a co-op for ages 0 to 18. We have 50 families that we can accept into our classes. We have 3 blocks of classes, all lasting 55 minutes.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Thanks. I don't know if they provide copies, but they don't provide materials. So I guess $5.

I plan on doing a fun circle time with songs and a story. Going over phonics and early reading skills. We will play some fun easy math games and maybe some math practice. I think preschool through maybe first if the child is not reading yet.

I want it to be a fun class that keeps kids moving and learning.
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

the ages are not already set? hmmm, that seems odd. usally a co-op has already grouped the ages according to the needs of their members case. is this a new co-op?

I would not recommend grouping preschool kids with first graders, as you mentionmed. there will be too many differences in learning levels. you could group 4 and 5 year olds or 5-7 year olds, but I would hestiate to put "most"4 year olds in a class with 6 year olds. The older child will likely be bored and the younger child may struggle to keep up.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thanks. I don't know if they provide copies, but they don't provide materials. So I guess $5.

I plan on doing a fun circle time with songs and a story. Going over phonics and early reading skills. We will play some fun easy math games and maybe some math practice. I think preschool through maybe first if the child is not reading yet.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM
They have 4 groups nursery, k-2, 3-5 and 6-8. Next year will only be their 2nd year and 4 classes per group. Not all classes fit every age totally.

I think prek- k would get a better learning experience from this rather than the older ones but if a child in 1st grade needed it I would not see a problem with them joining. I think I am going to say non readers only. That way they start at a similar place.

This is our first co op. And my first time teaching like this. I have taught preschool Sunday school, so I know I can handle several little ones at once.

And I have taught my 2 oldest how to read so it should not be too hard. But I do need advice.

Plus I am going to talk to the other parents tonight to see what they truly would want from this class and how I can meet their needs.

I know I would love to have my son who is 4 join in as we are going to play around with letter sounds and early reading this year and possibly next year. I plan to take it as slow and make it as fun for him as he wants.

Quoting swim-mom72:

the ages are not already set? hmmm, that seems odd. usally a co-op has already grouped the ages according to the needs of their members case. is this a new co-op?

I would not recommend grouping preschool kids with first graders, as you mentionmed. there will be too many differences in learning levels. you could group 4 and 5 year olds or 5-7 year olds, but I would hestiate to put "most"4 year olds in a class with 6 year olds. The older child will likely be bored and the younger child may struggle to keep up.

Quoting debramommyof4:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I oragnize and run a local co-op.  When it comes to co-op classes make them as hands on and fun as you can. I think the more creative the better.  Find ways to learn things that are out of the ordinary.   Let me know if you need early math ideas.  I am planning a creative math class.  Last year I charged $5 for a 13 week class.  My paper and ink is very low cost.  I never pay more than $1 for a ream of paper and i use an extended ink system.  I refill the ink directly as it gets old so my costs are very low.  I would probably charge $1 per class for supplies, more if you are using more than normal supplies.    I never charge for books I buy because I am using them for my own uses as well.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Thanks. Ideas are always welcome. I have all the stuff and want to make it as cheap as possible for the other families.

Where do you get your paper so cheap?

Our printer ink lasts a long time but it is $50 to replace it. But again I don't want it to cost a fortune. The only thing I think I want to print out right now is a few math practice sheets and some early readers when we get to it oh and I forgot about craft materials, but construction paper is cheap and I can have them bring in their own glue and pencils. I am pretty sure if I dig it out I have paint and I know I have plenty of other craft supplies. I just need to unpack them.

Quoting jen2150:

I oragnize and run a local co-op.  When it comes to co-op classes make them as hands on and fun as you can. I think the more creative the better.  Find ways to learn things that are out of the ordinary.   Let me know if you need early math ideas.  I am planning a creative math class.  Last year I charged $5 for a 13 week class.  My paper and ink is very low cost.  I never pay more than $1 for a ream of paper and i use an extended ink system.  I refill the ink directly as it gets old so my costs are very low.  I would probably charge $1 per class for supplies, more if you are using more than normal supplies.    I never charge for books I buy because I am using them for my own uses as well.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM
staples. I use their rebates. Every time they have free paper or $1 after rebate I snatch them up. They have really cheap paper especially around back to school time. I have to pay up front and have to wait awhile to get my money back but it is worth it. It is all done online and then I get a rebate check in the mail. Good luck and have fun.
Quoting debramommyof4:

Thanks. Ideas are always welcome. I have all the stuff and want to make it as cheap as possible for the other families.

Our printer ink lasts a long time but it is $50 to replace it. But again I don't want it to cost a fortune. The only thing I think I want to print out right now is a few math practice sheets and some early readers when we get to it oh and I forgot about craft materials, but construction paper is cheap and I can have them bring in their own glue and pencils. I am pretty sure if I dig it out I have paint and I know I have plenty of other craft supplies. I just need to unpack them.

Quoting jen2150:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Thanks. I think it will be a blast. I love working with little kids. It is something I dreamed about as a kid,

I just thought I would do so in the public school system. But this kind of class is going to be so much fun.

Quoting jen2150:

staples. I use their rebates. Every time they have free paper or $1 after rebate I snatch them up. They have really cheap paper especially around back to school time. I have to pay up front and have to wait awhile to get my money back but it is worth it. It is all done online and then I get a rebate check in the mail.

Good luck and have fun.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting jen2150:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:10 AM
OK so now to plan the class. They liked what I said I wanted to do. So now j am off to plan the activities. Should be a blast. I will probably be back to ask advice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN