Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Nature or Learned Behavior?

Posted by   + Show Post
Is it one's personal nature to be either fast or slow or is it a learned behvior that makes a person either fast or slow?

I believe its a person's nature BUT I also bellieve that it can be a learned behavior as well'

What is your personal opinion?

undefined

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd have to say that ALL of my kids are more patient with me than I feel I am with them.  Yeah, God neglected that part of my DNA.  But overall, I know my tortoises have a strong streak of impatience/frustration as well.  It's just a bit more shocking coming from them.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting hwblyf:

That is an excellent question! How would you answer that question, yourself?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Quoting hwblyf:

LOL - I guess I would have to say that for the most part, I am more patient than most but I do get very frustrated and impatient once in awhile if I feel like it is over something I consider extremely important. My husband on the other hand, is extremely quick but is extremely patient. More than anyone I know, met, or think I know.
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Now that I have had a nap and come back to this... I am thinking "fast and slow" mean something more. The qualities of the person themselves. I need clarification on what this post is specifically about.

However, I believe in growth.

So whether you mean someone like me who has a learning disability, is a slow learner, wih poor memory skills, who isn't the best at learning vs a naturally smart person with natural talents. -OR- the personality of a person that is naturally patient and steady to work at something vs someone who is naturally rash and doesn't put a continous and steady effort. - I believe anything can be focused in on and improved. 

I think there are rare cases where something can not be improved at all. I also think everyone has limitations. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Nature. However, often times it is usually improved with time and practice. 

Do you think it is always an improvement over time?

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

LavenderMom23
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this

All Human behavior is highly complexed and never has one factor, even a factor as general as nature/ nurture. General Physchology Class

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Quoting celticdragon77:

Yes, this is about how fast one tends to respond to any one thing or how slow aa person tends to react to any one thing. I ask if there is always an improvement because I was looking at some of the posts yesterday along with some answers and just got to thinking about how quickly or slowly I was responding to these posts and answers and wondered what everyone else's thoughts were on this subject. I felt like I was responding rather slowly myself and thought this would be a good discussion. ssSomething that might be used in our lessons with our kids.

For myself, I know that I have tried to improve my abiity frrom slow to quick but no matter how much I have tried, I am still slow in response. And I was just wondering about everyone else's opinions.
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, lol, whether you meant it or not, this post was a good social experiment. Because we all should have asked for better clarification of what you meant.

I think about what people ask. I almost never respond the first time I see a post. I read them, go do something else, and come back to them if I feel like I have something to say. I don't think that I would value the fast responses more than the slow ones. 

Quoting kirbymom:
Quoting celticdragon77:

Yes, this is about how fast one tends to respond to any one thing or how slow aa person tends to react to any one thing. I ask if there is always an improvement because I was looking at some of the posts yesterday along with some answers and just got to thinking about how quickly or slowly I was responding to these posts and answers and wondered what everyone else's thoughts were on this subject. I felt like I was responding rather slowly myself and thought this would be a good discussion. ssSomething that might be used in our lessons with our kids.

For myself, I know that I have tried to improve my abiity frrom slow to quick but no matter how much I have tried, I am still slow in response. And I was just wondering about everyone else's opinions.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

When I'm on, I'm on.  But it's allergy season, I have a herniated disc in my neck, my foot still is recovering, and it's hotter than is really sensible.  I've not mastered my nature just yet.  :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting hwblyf:

LOL - I guess I would have to say that for the most part, I am more patient than most but I do get very frustrated and impatient once in awhile if I feel like it is over something I consider extremely important. My husband on the other hand, is extremely quick but is extremely patient. More than anyone I know, met, or think I know.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Improve doesn't necessarily mean from slow to quick.  Some quick people need to learn to slow down and really read something and understand it before they respond.  So in that case slowing down would be an improvement. 

I don't know that one is inherently better than the other either.  I think all situations call for different reactions and different reaction times.  So learning to both slow down your thought process and really think something through before responding is a plus as is being able to react quickly in an emergency or being able to quickly respond to someone in a debate.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting celticdragon77:

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I am unable to define myself between the hare and tortoise. It would depend on the given situation. I know that I drive like a hare =(  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Quoting celticdragon77:

This is what I am talking about. Our response to something, Did we respond in a quick manner and things are taken care o or did we respond slowly and things weren't taken care of. And vice verse.

It doesn't matter what exactly in response to as much as it is in the quickness or slowness of a person's response' How we respond in regards to our chilfren and how that affexts the ensuing responce back.
Can that always be improved? Should it be improved? Why or why not? These are the things I was thinking of when I made this post. :) Is this more clarified now, hopefully? And how can we inturn use this as a learning lesson with our kids?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN