Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Nature or Learned Behavior?

Posted by   + Show Post
Is it one's personal nature to be either fast or slow or is it a learned behvior that makes a person either fast or slow?

I believe its a person's nature BUT I also bellieve that it can be a learned behavior as well'

What is your personal opinion?

undefined

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Quoting kmath:

Okay. Great. Now my next question is, do you think/feel it is possible to overcome your nature with being taught a different way to respond, other than your nature?
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Actually the, what it is in response to, is important.  Some things we are going to react quickly, an automatic no for something we don't allow.  Other things take some time to really think through. 

I do know, when it comes to my kid, I tend to say maybe or we will see when I don't want to give him an answer or I know the answer I am going to give is not one he would like.  In those cases I do react to quickly.  I need to say something more like I need to give this some thought or something along those lines so he doesn't think I am just brushing him off. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting celticdragon77:

This is what I am talking about. Our response to something, Did we respond in a quick manner and things are taken care o or did we respond slowly and things weren't taken care of. And vice verse.

It doesn't matter what exactly in response to as much as it is in the quickness or slowness of a person's response' How we respond in regards to our chilfren and how that affexts the ensuing responce back.
Can that always be improved? Should it be improved? Why or why not? These are the things I was thinking of when I made this post. :) Is this more clarified now, hopefully? And how can we inturn use this as a learning lesson with our kids?

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think it depends on the person.  Some will be able to change the way they think and react if they are taught a new way to do it and really work on changing.  Others won't be able to. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kmath:

Okay. Great. Now my next question is, do you think/feel it is possible to overcome your nature with being taught a different way to respond, other than your nature?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Quoting kmath:

Okay.Now let me go a little further. How do you know whether it is nature or learned behavior> because one can over shadow the other and seem like a natural response.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Just so everyone understands, this is just a ponder type of post. Not really looking for a right verses wrong answer.
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, I like this post, you are really making me stop and think and I am one of those quick responders.  :)

I don't think you can ever KNOW which it is, unless they find a gene for response time.  I think it is such a combination of the two that it doesn't really matter which one it started out as.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kmath:

Okay.Now let me go a little further. How do you know whether it is nature or learned behavior> because one can over shadow the other and seem like a natural response.

Knightquester
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Ah' the old nature vs. nurture.  It's my belief that a person is born with certain inherent traits that can be worked on, and modified by proper nurture.  So in essence I think both play a huge role in a persons developmental years.

An aggressive person can learn to be less aggressive with the right education and teachings, however if their parents are not so involved they are less likely to overcome that natural personality flaw of theirs.  A loud person can learn how to control their voice, a shy person can be taught to be more outgoing, however these are all natural traits that people can be born with that can be worked on.

While a person who is naturally good at math can succeed, they are more likely to be even more successful with encouraging parents who offer mathematical challenges and assistance along the way.  You can be a naturally fast runner, but if you're never offered the opportunity by your nurturing parents to go outside and run, then your skills will dwindle and be untapped and unacknowledged.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kmath:

LOL - Well, that was sort of what Ibwas looking for in this post. To stop and think and check ourselves and se how we are in regards to our children. And how to turn this into a lesson for our learning enironmen. :)
mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Nature and it depends on where you are planted lol...I mean, where you were born and raised and what kind of surrounding you were exposed to but, we can adapt, change and better ourselves.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Nature and it depends on where you are planted lol...I mean, where you were born and raised and what kind of surrounding you were exposed to but, we can adapt, change and better ourselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN