Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Nature or Learned Behavior?

Posted by   + Show Post
Is it one's personal nature to be either fast or slow or is it a learned behvior that makes a person either fast or slow?

I believe its a person's nature BUT I also bellieve that it can be a learned behavior as well'

What is your personal opinion?

undefined

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Replies (41-47):
mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM
I like this : )

Quoting Knightquester:

Ah' the old nature vs. nurture.  It's my belief that a person is born with certain inherent traits that can be worked on, and modified by proper nurture.  So in essence I think both play a huge role in a persons developmental years.

An aggressive person can learn to be less aggressive with the right education and teachings, however if their parents are not so involved they are less likely to overcome that natural personality flaw of theirs.  A loud person can learn how to control their voice, a shy person can be taught to be more outgoing, however these are all natural traits that people can be born with that can be worked on.

While a person who is naturally good at math can succeed, they are more likely to be even more successful with encouraging parents who offer mathematical challenges and assistance along the way.  You can be a naturally fast runner, but if you're never offered the opportunity by your nurturing parents to go outside and run, then your skills will dwindle and be untapped and unacknowledged.

housewifehell
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if you are talking about mentally fast or slow then it has a lot to do with environment and what people eat.  I have noticed that certain things in food can keep you in a state of heightened awareness like being on major amounts of caffiene. And environment seems to be a big factor because when things are moving fast around you and you have to think faster its like your brain seems to get stuck in that mode. But that is personal experience it could be totally different for others.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I so agree with your statement that certain foods and or drinks have a huge effect on our response time. Whether it's just a mental response or a physical response.

I do believe that sometimes, even though you may be taught to go against your nature that your nature wins out anyway. Not in all aspects of course, but it does happen.

Quoting housewifehell:

I think if you are talking about mentally fast or slow then it has a lot to do with environment and what people eat.  I have noticed that certain things in food can keep you in a state of heightened awareness like being on major amounts of caffiene. And environment seems to be a big factor because when things are moving fast around you and you have to think faster its like your brain seems to get stuck in that mode. But that is personal experience it could be totally different for others.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Nature, I think. My daughter is slow as molasses no matter the prodding.

I do believe you can learn to be fast or slow though, and environment plays a big part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know about that but I do know the more you tell anyone to hurry the slower they will go!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Growing up, I was the same way. :) But as you stated, I learned to be faster!... for survival's sake.

lol

Quoting Boobah:

Nature, I think. My daughter is slow as molasses no matter the prodding.

I do believe you can learn to be fast or slow though, and environment plays a big part.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Quoting usmom3:

I don't know about that but I do know the more you tell anyone to hurry the slower they will go!

That is what my hubby says about me! ahahahahaha :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)