Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

$$ How much do you spend on curriculum? $$

Posted by   + Show Post

Per child?  All together?

This is my first year and my head is spinning!

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I don't want to talk about how much I spend on books... Lol

Quoting jen2150:

Every year is a little different.  i have a 4th and 6th grader.

Math: $150 for teaching textbooks.  One time investment.  I can sell it for almost what I have paid for it.

Science: about $42 for an online curriculum which includes physics for my older son.

Writing and English:  $60 for write shop.  It is for both of them and covers  writing and grammar.

I probably spend about $200 for living books and workbooks on amazon.  I spend the most on living books.  I could spend less but I prefer to spend for quality over cost.  I found some great ways to save money.  I think there is a delicate balance between quality and how much you spend.  I use a lot of free things and resources but only if they are high quality.  This year I would  I say I spend around $500 for two boys.  I wouldn't spend a whole lot the first year until you find out what works for your children.

Mama.x3
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM
It will be about 160 for both of my kids just for curriculum, more for supplies or if I find a book here and there but that will be spread out over time.
AJ-47
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM
For this upcoming year, I've spent close to $700 on just curriculum. That's not including the supplement work I've purchased/I will be purchasing, or supplies, trips, experiment necessities, etc.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Maybe you need some book therapy.  Sometimes it helps to let it all out.  

To be quite honest I am afraid to keep track $200 is just an estimate.  It may even be more.  I just know I can't stop.  I can't resist a cool new book.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting jen2150:

Math: $150 for teaching textbooks.  One time investment.  I can sell it for almost what I have paid for it.

Science: about $42 for an online curriculum which includes physics for my older son.

Writing and English:  $60 for write shop.  It is for both of them and covers  writing and grammar.

I probably spend about $200 for living books and workbooks on amazon.  I spend the most on living books.  I could spend less but I prefer to spend for quality over cost.  I found some great ways to save money.  I think there is a delicate balance between quality and how much you spend.  I use a lot of free things and resources but only if they are high quality.  This year I would  I say I spend around $500 for two boys.  I wouldn't spend a whole lot the first year until you find out what works for your children.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Let's just say that I had to forcibly give up book shopping for a year while I made room for the ones I already had. Lol I now have a library section to my basement.

Quoting jen2150:

Maybe you need some book therapy.  Sometimes it helps to let it all out.  

To be quite honest I am afraid to keep track $200 is just an estimate.  It may even be more.  I just know I can't stop.  I can't resist a cool new book.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting jen2150:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

This is my first year as well.  We don't have any extra money at all, so I am trying to spend little to nothing.  Our biggest expense will be classes and field trips, and that's where I want the money to go.  My kids will be entering 5th and 6th grades.

I spent about $75 on each kid for an engineering class at the co op.

My neighbor lent us the complete set of the Story of the World, which is exactly what I wanted to use and she doesn't need it back for a couple years.  My son has a huge Complete History of the World book that we will use with it, along with netflix for documentaries and stuff.

For math we are using Kahn Academy, for free.  They work as fast or slow as they need to. 

I sent a letter/request to the Book Samaritan: http://www.thebooksamaritan.com/p/faq.html

I am also using http://allinonehomeschool.com/ which covers basically everything, it's really amazing.  We are using this with history as well.  I am sure we will use it for more, I am just waiting to see what the Book Samaritan sends so we can see how to use everything.

I plan to use Georgia Virtual Learning for Spanish, it's free, and we live in NH not GA.  If we don't use it, we will use the virtual learning academy in NH, which also takes out of staters for a tuition, not sure how much the tuition is though.

For science, I bought a book from another homeschooler for like $1 or something that we will go through and do some experiments.  I will also see what we get from the Book Samaritan to make plans from that.  And I get a lot from Teachers Pay Teachers for free or really cheap, and you know if you do pay for something you are helping out other teachers or homeschoolers.  There are lesson plans for just about everything on there! 

For Literature, I plan to just pick some of the classics and find lesson plans to go with those.  Spelling-I would LOVE All About Spelling for my daughter but it is too expensive.  So I am not sure what we will do there, but worst case scenario, I look up all the spelling rules and make up my own lessons to go with each one and hope and pray she gets it!  For my son, I want him to do more vocab than spelling, he naturally just 'gets' all the rules and exceptions, so I want to work more on roots and meanings.

I can't say no to books, so we usually go to the Goodwill and my kids pick out a few, lately when we go I also look for classics that we can study. 

For writing, I plan to have them write about the history stuff we do, the will write about science experiements.  I will have them do some researching on things they are interested in, etc.

I think that covers most of it.  I know I have a lot of work ahead of me this summer to get ready since I am doing it so cheaply, but I enjoy the work so I really don't mind spending my time rather than money.

PEEK05
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Well, my first child is just entering pre-k so we spent less than $100 lol.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I have 5 kids and usually spend $100-$200 a year on books. Supplies are usually about $20 because I hit all the back to school sales and stock up. I get most of my curriculum from my local public library or inter-library loans. If they don't have something I just ask them to order it and I always get it. It helps to be really close with your librarians.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I forgot to mention the library!  Huge resource for us too.  I am always looking for books, and they will get them from other libraries in the state if they don't have them, and will order them if we ask for something specific that no library has.  Being close with the librarian helps soo much, ours has already been a huge resource (and was for years before we decided to hs) and we haven't even started yet!

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I have 5 kids and usually spend $100-$200 a year on books. Supplies are usually about $20 because I hit all the back to school sales and stock up. I get most of my curriculum from my local public library or inter-library loans. If they don't have something I just ask them to order it and I always get it. It helps to be really close with your librarians.

QueenCreole313
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Budget is 500 per year
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN