Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

$$ How much do you spend on curriculum? $$

Posted by   + Show Post

Per child?  All together?

This is my first year and my head is spinning!

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
Momof697
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

For 5 kieds I spend around $1000.00 They are 3rd -9th graders

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM
OMG! Completely off topic but, I LOVE your quote!
Now[ back on topic, I spend about an average of $100 . And that is probably with all of my kids. The ones sill in school that is. But, that may just be me. I am the type of person who will not pay a whole lot for something. If Lincoln isn't screaming on his penny then you an be assured that it is too much and I am not spending the money for it. lol

Not everyone will be like me. Some may spend mor an some may even spend less. Just depends onthe individual/family. :)
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM

This is my first year and I am spending about $500 on materials and supplies and extra things like posters, flash cards, manipulative and stuff like that, that can be used from here on out.  That doesn't include field trips or extracurricular.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I have a 500 budget and I've sent 375 on books this year. It was less cuz I hit eBay a lot. Next year I'm expecting to spend even less because someone is giving me most of my 3rd grade books. This is for one, my son is 5 years younger so I'm hoping to keep these books for him.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

First year I spent just $40 or so. I got workbooks from the parent teacher store, used free resources online and from the library.

High school years I spent a lot more money on curriculum such as math u see because I wanted them to be college ready. As it turns out math u see was not a good investment. I'd use something else now, maybe Life of Fred of Teaching Textbooks.

I don't count extra curricular money because we'd do those regardless of homeschooling.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I don't count extra curricular money because we'd do those regardless of homeschooling.

That is a very good point.  We would as well, so I don't have to worry about money spent there.

lucsch
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Am I the only one who doesn't track homeschooling expenses to the penny?

I buy a couple of years in advance, piece by piece. We use a lit-based curriculum, so there are a lot of books per level. If I had purchased it new, it would cost $700. Based upon my target 1/2 price including shipping limit for buying used, I probably have spent $350. Like I said, I don't track it piece by piece. I buy across the levels, too, so sometimes I purchase a set of books that is used for several years. I also bought my daughter a used flute for $200. I sold some curriculum for $150. I made $400 sewing costumes for my daughter's dance troupe.  It all works out somehow!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM
This year we brought games to play I am working on curriculum no store brought this year. I do not know how much I spend yet because it helps me with my childcare as well.
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM

No you are not the only one.  To be honest I'm really clueless as to what I spent this year.  We do so much child led learning so there's lots of pop up expenses.

Quoting lucsch:

I buy a couple of years in advance, piece by piece. We use a lit-based curriculum, so there are a lot of books per level. If I had purchased it new, it would cost $700. Based upon my target 1/2 price including shipping limit for buying used, I probably have spent $350. Like I said, I don't track it piece by piece. I buy across the levels, too, so sometimes I purchase a set of books that is used for several years. I also bought my daughter a used flute for $200. I sold some curriculum for $150. I made $400 sewing costumes for my daughter's dance troupe.  It all works out somehow!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol I have a love /hate relationship with money. I grew up (until my mom married up when I was 12) extremely poor since neither parent worked. I have a compulsive twitch that keeps me on my toes. I can actually name within 10 cents everything I have bought including groceries.it is the most unhelpful talent ever. Now, I can't say I can remember every case of food but if you go to my house and hold up a can of soup, I can tell you how much I paid, if it was on sale and if I used a coupon. Hold up a pair of shoes, toy, lamp, whatever and I can do it. It's like a parlor trick. So remembering my school books ain't no thang!

Quoting lucsch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)