Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

$$ How much do you spend on curriculum? $$

Posted by   + Show Post

Per child?  All together?

This is my first year and my head is spinning!

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I wish I had your talent girl!  i'm good with money, but not that good.

Quoting mem82:

Lol I have a love /hate relationship with money. I grew up (until my mom married up when I was 12) extremely poor since neither parent worked. I have a compulsive twitch that keeps me on my toes. I can actually name within 10 cents everything I have bought including groceries.it is the most unhelpful talent ever. Now, I can't say I can remember every case of food but if you go to my house and hold up a can of soup, I can tell you how much I paid, if it was on sale and if I used a coupon. Hold up a pair of shoes, toy, lamp, whatever and I can do it. It's like a parlor trick. So remembering my school books ain't no thang!

Quoting lucsch:

Am I the only one who doesn't track homeschooling expenses to the penny?

I buy a couple of years in advance, piece by piece. We use a lit-based curriculum, so there are a lot of books per level. If I had purchased it new, it would cost $700. Based upon my target 1/2 price including shipping limit for buying used, I probably have spent $350. Like I said, I don't track it piece by piece. I buy across the levels, too, so sometimes I purchase a set of books that is used for several years. I also bought my daughter a used flute for $200. I sold some curriculum for $150. I made $400 sewing costumes for my daughter's dance troupe.  It all works out somehow!

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I do the cheapest way possible. I get my curriculum with printed sheets, unit studies, internet, library, etc. I think I spend about 100 for my three.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM

My son will be 6th grade and he's autistic. I don't really know his actual grade level when I pulled him out from ps. I know that he was behind because his IEP was not that accurate about the skills he gained. This is my first year and my 1,000 k budget was gone from buying curriculum from 1st grade through 5th grade that will work for him plus online subscriptions.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM

lol..I wish I have some of your talent.

Quoting mem82:

Lol I have a love /hate relationship with money. I grew up (until my mom married up when I was 12) extremely poor since neither parent worked. I have a compulsive twitch that keeps me on my toes. I can actually name within 10 cents everything I have bought including groceries.it is the most unhelpful talent ever. Now, I can't say I can remember every case of food but if you go to my house and hold up a can of soup, I can tell you how much I paid, if it was on sale and if I used a coupon. Hold up a pair of shoes, toy, lamp, whatever and I can do it. It's like a parlor trick. So remembering my school books ain't no thang!

Quoting lucsch:

I buy a couple of years in advance, piece by piece. We use a lit-based curriculum, so there are a lot of books per level. If I had purchased it new, it would cost $700. Based upon my target 1/2 price including shipping limit for buying used, I probably have spent $350. Like I said, I don't track it piece by piece. I buy across the levels, too, so sometimes I purchase a set of books that is used for several years. I also bought my daughter a used flute for $200. I sold some curriculum for $150. I made $400 sewing costumes for my daughter's dance troupe.  It all works out somehow!

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

oahoah
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:40 AM
My DH & I calculated between $2,000-3,000 last year but we included museum memberships too. Didn't calculate per child though, our youngest is almost 4 and has the "smallest bill". This year is going to be much less because I am trying to be organized & utilize what I already have & have overlooked in the past.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Just over 500 for two kids. They share a lot of things, so I get my money's worth, but I just realized I forgot the lab kit for our science and a few activity kits for history, so I'm looking at about another 100.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Not much normally. About $30 last year for curriculum. Most of our money went to good quality art supplies but we won't need to buy more this year because they last a long time.
This year I am trying a new curric, it is $267, but I think I like my old one better. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wowguildmomma
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:20 AM

we are prob spending around 200. some of the stuff we are using this year is recycled from older siblings and we only needed to buy a english and science curric for the older two.

MacMamaof5
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Maybe $300 for memberships, co-op classes, and Aquatic Center enrollment..then we need a new CD/Cassette Tape player and a printer with ink and printer paper.  I asked hubby for $500 to put away from taxes to assure continuing field trips and actually getting to these places we pay membership for. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Lol Seriously, it is the most useless talent.

Quoting irvinehiker:

I wish I had your talent girl!  i'm good with money, but not that good.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting lucsch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)