Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

$$ How much do you spend on curriculum? $$

Posted by   + Show Post

Per child?  All together?

This is my first year and my head is spinning!

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Lol it just makes me look nuts! Imagine Mr Krabs from Sponge Bob. 'Arrr, be careful with that lamp, me boy! It costs me 12.95 last year at Target when it was 75 percent off it's original price of 40 dollars. I' ll never find that good of deal again! '

Quoting mommy4lyf:

lol..I wish I have some of your talent.

Quoting mem82:

Lol I have a love /hate relationship with money. I grew up (until my mom married up when I was 12) extremely poor since neither parent worked. I have a compulsive twitch that keeps me on my toes. I can actually name within 10 cents everything I have bought including groceries.it is the most unhelpful talent ever. Now, I can't say I can remember every case of food but if you go to my house and hold up a can of soup, I can tell you how much I paid, if it was on sale and if I used a coupon. Hold up a pair of shoes, toy, lamp, whatever and I can do it. It's like a parlor trick. So remembering my school books ain't no thang!

Quoting lucsch:

Am I the only one who doesn't track homeschooling expenses to the penny?

I buy a couple of years in advance, piece by piece. We use a lit-based curriculum, so there are a lot of books per level. If I had purchased it new, it would cost $700. Based upon my target 1/2 price including shipping limit for buying used, I probably have spent $350. Like I said, I don't track it piece by piece. I buy across the levels, too, so sometimes I purchase a set of books that is used for several years. I also bought my daughter a used flute for $200. I sold some curriculum for $150. I made $400 sewing costumes for my daughter's dance troupe.  It all works out somehow!

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I spend about $150 for 5 kids each year including supplies. I get most books from our local libraries.
acrogodess
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I buy used textbooks on amazon for $4 apiece including shipping. I get my workbooks new for less than $10 including shipping. All the websites I use are free for now. I spent about $150 including supplies like paper, crayons, copy paper and ink etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

That was really funny! but it's so true! my sister in law is really good at finding good deal. I wish I have her patience.

Quoting mem82:

Lol it just makes me look nuts! Imagine Mr Krabs from Sponge Bob. 'Arrr, be careful with that lamp, me boy! It costs me 12.95 last year at Target when it was 75 percent off it's original price of 40 dollars. I' ll never find that good of deal again! '

Quoting mommy4lyf:

lol..I wish I have some of your talent.

Quoting mem82:

Lol I have a love /hate relationship with money. I grew up (until my mom married up when I was 12) extremely poor since neither parent worked. I have a compulsive twitch that keeps me on my toes. I can actually name within 10 cents everything I have bought including groceries.it is the most unhelpful talent ever. Now, I can't say I can remember every case of food but if you go to my house and hold up a can of soup, I can tell you how much I paid, if it was on sale and if I used a coupon. Hold up a pair of shoes, toy, lamp, whatever and I can do it. It's like a parlor trick. So remembering my school books ain't no thang!

Quoting lucsch:

Am I the only one who doesn't track homeschooling expenses to the penny?

I buy a couple of years in advance, piece by piece. We use a lit-based curriculum, so there are a lot of books per level. If I had purchased it new, it would cost $700. Based upon my target 1/2 price including shipping limit for buying used, I probably have spent $350. Like I said, I don't track it piece by piece. I buy across the levels, too, so sometimes I purchase a set of books that is used for several years. I also bought my daughter a used flute for $200. I sold some curriculum for $150. I made $400 sewing costumes for my daughter's dance troupe.  It all works out somehow!

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

CJsMommy040506
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM
I think about $400 for two kids. I haven't added it up though.
unsuspected
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM
What web sites do you use for workbooks?

Quoting acrogodess:

I buy used textbooks on amazon for $4 apiece including shipping. I get my workbooks new for less than $10 including shipping. All the websites I use are free for now. I spent about $150 including supplies like paper, crayons, copy paper and ink etc
acrogodess
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Amazon as well. I love Amazon. Lol. I should work for them as a promoter. Ha.

Quoting unsuspected:

Quoting acrogodess:

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I LOVE Amazon too!!

Quoting acrogodess:

Amazon as well. I love Amazon. Lol. I should work for them as a promoter. Ha.

Quoting unsuspected:

Quoting acrogodess:

BramblePatch
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM
I spent $405 on cores for both, $43 on phonics for both, and $90 on Latin for both. Back to school supplies were $48. I then budget $75 a month for extra books, supplies, field trips, etc... So almost $1200 for two kids for a year.
sdgd21
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Normally $600 ish with supplies for 3 kids, last yr it was the same for 4 (my youngest son started this year :-) ).
This year however we our budgeting for $2000 we are using sonlight.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN