Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Following in our Footsteps.......

Posted by   + Show Post
Are your kids following in the same footsteps through life that you took? Or have they chosen a different path to travel?

What are the differences?

undefined

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM
[Oh wow. Yeah, I can see where it would be a little early to tell. :)

quote name="PEEK05" id="0"]

Too early to tell.  My oldest of 3 children is only 4 years old lol.

[/quote]
mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

It's okay =) I can't blame my parents for raising us. They were raised like that so that' s what they passed on. I just refuse to do the same to my son.

Quoting kirbymom:

I see what you are saying. I also apologize if I was prying. That wasn't my intention. I was also sheltered and try not to be the same way with my children as was done with me.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mommy4lyf:

Yeah, my husband and Ifeel the same way. Although it took me awhile to get to that place. :)
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
My oldest is very similar to me. My middle is NOTHING like me as a child. And we can't say for baby girl yet. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arwalters
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Ds is only 4 but so far nothing like I was as a child, lol. I was always shy & reserved, but my kid is very outgoing. He'll talk to anyone and everyone we come in contact with and tell them all about such and such toy, what we're doing, what we did last week, lol. I can try to explain stranger-danger til I'm blue in the face and he argues with me, insisting that she's not a stranger, she's a woman or I know he's nice cause he has a motorcycle. But I love that he's so friendly and sweet to everyone, he seems to always bring a smile to their faces and he has helped me befriend other moms that I would have otherwise been too shy to approach. He has no fear, is always ready to play rough and climb anything, a very, VERY active boy! But also unlike me as a child he is not so self-absorbed, is actually uncannily empathetic. See he unfortunately has a very sick mom. I have several medical problems, have had 16 surgeries and am struggling with a severely chronic colon condition. I've been sick a long time now so although my illness flares up erratically and unexpectedly, causing me to suddenly change plans and rush home or be unable to leave the house until the meds kick in, I've become so used to it that it's almost like a routine now. This blessed little boy is so sweet when I'm sick, it's like he knows I can't handle the bouncing off the walls side of him for a bit and he calls right down. He plays contentedly by himself, cuddles with me, even sings to me (especially if I am crying which isn't often, I try to stay positive and endure) but he seems to have an uncanny sense of when I'm sick and need to rest.. he'll wait til I'm well again to push my buttons and drive me up the wall, lol. We get out and have a lot of fun every chance we get when I'm feeling well and we have hours of quiet time and slow, relaxing activities when I'm not. I don't think in was ever so thoughtful toward my own mom especially at 4 yrs old. Even at 10 when my mom had a broken foot and was obviously struggling to hand us our breakfast plates but I didn't get up to help until she dropped and broke one and burst into tears. Ds is very intuned to me,, perhaps because he's an only child and for a long time it was just me and him against the world until I met dh. Maybe because we are so close, although my mom and I were also because I was the first born and she also a single mom for the early years of my life but I had siblings to compete with. He's never had to share me much and very bonded to daddy as well (he adopted ds and is the only father he knows) so he has always been surrounded by love, unthreatened by sibling rivalry. I used to worry that he was spoiled but he really isn't and is always willing too work for his rewards, earning stickers fire chores and obedience until he has enough to trade in for a small toy or fun day at the park (something I was never good at) and he is really catching on about being fair and sharing with his friends (we practice and read about doing good deeds in his bible work book). I'm often in awe of his concern for others feelings, he'll sing to the little girl he's best friends with when she is scared or hurt. Sorry this is so long but I really am a proud and happy mommy :)

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I don't know yet.  He is only 7 and has no clue what he is going to do.  I will say that he is a total people person and outgoing where I am so not.  I think this will make his choices a little different from mine. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Yeah she wouldn't be old enough yet. :)

Quoting Boobah:

My oldest is very similar to me. My middle is NOTHING like me as a child. And we can't say for baby girl yet. Lol

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
This is such a beautiful post!! Thank YOU for sharing a part of your life. It is so uplifting. :)

Quoting arwalters:

Ds is only 4 but so far nothing like I was as a child, lol. I was always shy & reserved, but my kid is very outgoing. He'll talk to anyone and everyone we come in contact with and tell them all about such and such toy, what we're doing, what we did last week, lol. I can try to explain stranger-danger til I'm blue in the face and he argues with me, insisting that she's not a stranger, she's a woman or I know he's nice cause he has a motorcycle. But I love that he's so friendly and sweet to everyone, he seems to always bring a smile to their faces and he has helped me befriend other moms that I would have otherwise been too shy to approach. He has no fear, is always ready to play rough and climb anything, a very, VERY active boy! But also unlike me as a child he is not so self-absorbed, is actually uncannily empathetic. See he unfortunately has a very sick mom. I have several medical problems, have had 16 surgeries and am struggling with a severely chronic colon condition. I've been sick a long time now so although my illness flares up erratically and unexpectedly, causing me to suddenly change plans and rush home or be unable to leave the house until the meds kick in, I've become so used to it that it's almost like a routine now. This blessed little boy is so sweet when I'm sick, it's like he knows I can't handle the bouncing off the walls side of him for a bit and he calls right down. He plays contentedly by himself, cuddles with me, even sings to me (especially if I am crying which isn't often, I try to stay positive and endure) but he seems to have an uncanny sense of when I'm sick and need to rest.. he'll wait til I'm well again to push my buttons and drive me up the wall, lol. We get out and have a lot of fun every chance we get when I'm feeling well and we have hours of quiet time and slow, relaxing activities when I'm not. I don't think in was ever so thoughtful toward my own mom especially at 4 yrs old. Even at 10 when my mom had a broken foot and was obviously struggling to hand us our breakfast plates but I didn't get up to help until she dropped and broke one and burst into tears. Ds is very intuned to me,, perhaps because he's an only child and for a long time it was just me and him against the world until I met dh. Maybe because we are so close, although my mom and I were also because I was the first born and she also a single mom for the early years of my life but I had siblings to compete with. He's never had to share me much and very bonded to daddy as well (he adopted ds and is the only father he knows) so he has always been surrounded by love, unthreatened by sibling rivalry. I used to worry that he was spoiled but he really isn't and is always willing too work for his rewards, earning stickers fire chores and obedience until he has enough to trade in for a small toy or fun day at the park (something I was never good at) and he is really catching on about being fair and sharing with his friends (we practice and read about doing good deeds in his bible work book). I'm often in awe of his concern for others feelings, he'll sing to the little girl he's best friends with when she is scared or hurt. Sorry this is so long but I really am a proud and happy mommy :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I am in the same place as you with a few of mine. :)

Quoting kmath:

I don't know yet.  He is only 7 and has no clue what he is going to do.  I will say that he is a total people person and outgoing where I am so not.  I think this will make his choices a little different from mine. 

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
They all say that they will when they are grown & having family's of there own so we will have to wait & see.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)