Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering Home Schooling - anyone in the High Desert of CA?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi I am Jacque and as I posted elsewhere - I had never considered homeschooling...

For 10 years I was a public school teacher and then an adjunct professor.  My mother is a retired Kindergarten teacher and for the past 3 years she and I had been working with my now 5 year old with her Pre K materials....I suppose we never really thought about what might happen if she ends up moving beyond K 1 and 1st grade materials - and yet not even be old enough to start K 1.

And now here we are....starting kindergarten in a school ranked 1 of 10, which means 9 other schools did better.  Having been a teacher I have a pretty good idea what can happen to an advanced kid with a lot of energy, if not nurtured correctly. And I am terrified her passion for learning will be smashed before she has developed the maturity work around this obstacle. 

And yet - I am worried about her getting the socialization and making the friends she needs for age appropriate development.  Which brings me to my final point - if there are home schoolers in the High Desert / Hesperia area please let me know.

blowing kisses

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Replies (11-16):
Sweetrose664
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM

We are homeschooling and live in Victorville. Our daughter is pre-K and is almost 5 and our son is almost 3. We will be trying the homeschool program through Galileo Elementry http://galileo.vesd.net/independent_study_two-day_program.html

AngRgls
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2015 at 7:35 PM
I am looking for playmates for my 4 year old son. We live in AV and I homeschool. Anyone want to meet up for park days or anything just let me know. Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 27, 2015 at 12:24 AM
I am in Lancaster. We have a few very active homeschooling groups with kids of all ages. PM me and we can talk.

We have a park day every other Wednesday at Lancaster city park. It was yesterday :)

Quoting AngRgls: I am looking for playmates for my 4 year old son. We live in AV and I homeschool. Anyone want to meet up for park days or anything just let me know. Thanks.
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Quoting AngRgls: I am looking for playmates for my 4 year old son. We live in AV and I homeschool. Anyone want to meet up for park days or anything just let me know. Thanks.

What's AV?

Precious333
by Julia on Feb. 28, 2015 at 6:41 PM
Hello. We live near Pasadena but may move more east since dh works in that direction.
Scribbleprints
by Member on Mar. 1, 2015 at 2:18 AM

Hi!  I'm not in that area but I grew up just up the hill from you (in Twin Peaks, near Lake Arrowhead). Small world!

You know, while my two older kids are in school, the best friends they AND my youngest child has are in our neighborhood.  There are lots of other ways to get socialization...after school activities, church, Girl Scouts/Brownies, neighborhood kids.  At her age she can also play with all the kids just a year younger than her not in school.  You can check for local things during the day, like libraries usually have story time and such. Libraries sometimes have afterschool programs for kids (like ours has kids dance, lego club, and lots of science and movie nights, etc.) 

You should look on Facebook for Homeschooling groups near you.   I found some homeschool kids for my little one to play with through a homeschool facebook page for our county.  And my homeschooled son has made deeper friendships since he's homeschooled than he did when he was in Kindergarten. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN