Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Heart of Dakota :-)

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM
  • 3 Replies
I need fairly open and go this year as I am having surgeries for bilateral hip dysplasia and the recovery will be an unknown period of time. I will not even be driving for months. So I decided on HOD for both kids, running two guides. I plan on using Little Hearts for my 5 year old DD, adding ETC for phonics, CLE Math 1, and Song School Latin. DS, 6, will use Beyond, adding ETC and Beyond the Code for Phonics, CLE Math 2, and Song School Latin.

I am not really a box curriculum fan...but in this case I think the open and go will be a perfect fit. I am wondering if I need to supplement the spelling and grammar in Beyond a bit. DS did 1st grade LA in K, so he has been slightly introduced to both.

Does this seem doable from an easy planning, no library access, limited field trip point on view?
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you should need to supplement spelling and grammar, and if you bought the entire HOD package, you shouldn't even need the library. The read alouds should be more than sufficient. Little Hearts shouldn't take too long to do, so running two guides is really doable.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I did supplement spelling, added R&S 2 for grammar,  and added DITHOR for my 2nd grader using Beyond; but I don't think I had to do it. Don't worry. If you stick with HOD, the skills will be taught. The early years are more gentle than public school, but by CTC, it gets pretty tough--I'd say harder than public school. My daughter has done Beyond and Bigger and will be starting Preparing this fall. I plan to use it until she graduates. I am totally sold on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)