Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

cleaning

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

How do you find time to clean....I mean, REALLY clean.  It seems like the house is ALWAYS a mess, and between the pets, kids dragging dirt/mud in, 3 boys and a toilet don't mix, laundry piled to the roof, toys everywhere, bedrooms upside down, all organization that was once there has gone out the window, UGH!!!  It's driving me crazy.  I'm considering completely clearing 1 room out at a time, scrubbing clean, and putting everything back organized again.  I'd think that being home all day homeschooling it would be easy to find time, but it isn't!!!!  So, how often do you deep clean and reorganize your house? 

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM
I hire someone to clean and we work together to organize. We will take a day to go through one room at a time each day.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been doing deep-cleaning and organizing projects for the past few weeks, since we've been "off" school. So not only are we not doing school each day (which eats up 3-4 hours of each day), we are also not doing art class or co-op class or science club - nothing except piano (30 minutes/week) and even that has been hit or miss as we're out of town or the teacher's out of town quite a bit in summer. So I find I have quite a bit more time on my hands. I admit it - my kids have indulged in some screen time! But we set limits on it, and we do go out and "DO" something every day - go to the $1 movies, go to the swimming pool with friends, go to the park, play on the slip n slide in the backyard... but for at least 2 hours every day, I have been cleaning. Last week I spent a whole afternoon (about 4 hours) cleaning my laundry room. It had just gotten super cluttered over time - we threw everything in there when we didn't know what to do with it! So I threw away a bunch of stuff, then organized the cabinets in there and found room to store things that had been on the floor (paper towels) or on the counters (surplus food storage). Then I cleaned the room - dusted everything, swept, and wet mopped. It's amazing how much nicer it feels to do laundry in a clean, orderly space!

So in a nutshell (a big nutshell!) that's my advice - tackle one room at a time, but give yourself a whole chunk of time to devote to it. While I was in the laundry room, my kids were taking 30 minute turns on various screens (rotating) - computer, video game, or ipod/kindle - and I set the microwave timer for 30 minutes and then they rotated so there was no fighting allowed!

On a more daily basis, and during school year, I have a home organization binder that I made last year (I need to update it) which among other things, includes a weekly cleaning list, and I have 3 weeks' worth, so I rotate through. Some items are the same week to week, like mopping and dusting and vacuuming, but other things only appear once in each 3 week cycle, like washing the kids' bedding, vacuuming the furniture, or dusting the ceiling fans. These types of jobs don't need to be done as often.

And my children have daily chores (which rotate monthly) and these include some daily cleaning like swiffering the hard floors (we have a shedding dog), spraying/wiping out the bathroom sinks and emptying the bathroom trash cans into the main kitchen trash can, taking out the recycling and bringing in the mail, and vacuuming the living room. My kids are 6, 7, and 10 and can do these chores independently. This helps me a lot with the day-to-day messiness. They also have to clean their rooms before they can watch any TV in the evening after dinner (or have any dessert). 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM
She is right! Tackle 1 room at a time. 1 day at a time. Have the kids help. Even a little bit of help will help out in the long run.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I've been doing deep-cleaning and organizing projects for the past few weeks, since we've been "off" school. So not only are we not doing school each day (which eats up 3-4 hours of each day), we are also not doing art class or co-op class or science club - nothing except piano (30 minutes/week) and even that has been hit or miss as we're out of town or the teacher's out of town quite a bit in summer. So I find I have quite a bit more time on my hands. I admit it - my kids have indulged in some screen time! But we set limits on it, and we do go out and "DO" something every day - go to the $1 movies, go to the swimming pool with friends, go to the park, play on the slip n slide in the backyard... but for at least 2 hours every day, I have been cleaning. Last week I spent a whole afternoon (about 4 hours) cleaning my laundry room. It had just gotten super cluttered over time - we threw everything in there when we didn't know what to do with it! So I threw away a bunch of stuff, then organized the cabinets in there and found room to store things that had been on the floor (paper towels) or on the counters (surplus food storage). Then I cleaned the room - dusted everything, swept, and wet mopped. It's amazing how much nicer it feels to do laundry in a clean, orderly space!

So in a nutshell (a big nutshell!) that's my advice - tackle one room at a time, but give yourself a whole chunk of time to devote to it. While I was in the laundry room, my kids were taking 30 minute turns on various screens (rotating) - computer, video game, or ipod/kindle - and I set the microwave timer for 30 minutes and then they rotated so there was no fighting allowed!

On a more daily basis, and during school year, I have a home organization binder that I made last year (I need to update it) which among other things, includes a weekly cleaning list, and I have 3 weeks' worth, so I rotate through. Some items are the same week to week, like mopping and dusting and vacuuming, but other things only appear once in each 3 week cycle, like washing the kids' bedding, vacuuming the furniture, or dusting the ceiling fans. These types of jobs don't need to be done as often.

And my children have daily chores (which rotate monthly) and these include some daily cleaning like swiffering the hard floors (we have a shedding dog), spraying/wiping out the bathroom sinks and emptying the bathroom trash cans into the main kitchen trash can, taking out the recycling and bringing in the mail, and vacuuming the living room. My kids are 6, 7, and 10 and can do these chores independently. This helps me a lot with the day-to-day messiness. They also have to clean their rooms before they can watch any TV in the evening after dinner (or have any dessert). 

Aleshad01
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
During the school year I do my cleaning on weekends. Right now with it being summer I do a little each day.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I sat down one day and figured out all the different cleaning tasks that I typically do...even ones that aren't done often. I came up with things that should be done weekly, twice a week, every other week, once a month, twice a month, twice a year, once a year, etc. and then on a blank calendar page sorted everything out so I was only doing a few thigns a day. I then went through and highlighted tasks that the each kid was capable of doing, and what hubby could do and then printed out a rotating chore chart for everyone. 

Typically, it came down to one room at a time.  But here's a look at week one for a the month:
*First week includes deep cleaning of carpets*
Monday: vacuum stairs, dust living room, sweep and mop foyer, *vacuum couches*.
Tuesday: vacuum bedrooms, dust bedrooms, laundry, *once every other week, wash bedding  and vacuum matresses*, **once a month, clean washer and dryer**
Wednesday: sweep and mop bathroom, *wash cabinets*, **clean dishwasher**, garbage night
Thursday: sweep and mop basement (ours is finished), sweep and mop foyer, **wash down walls and moulding**, *wipe down doors*, wash dog's food dishes
Friday: clean toilets and sinks, wash mirrors, *wash windows*, **dust vents and fans**
Saturday: de clutter shelves and desk, dust desk area, *clean microwave*, **clean oven**

Deep cleaning continues with one task a day the next week too so its not all getting done all at once and I'm exhausted and feeling unaccomplished lol. Nothing stays perfectly clean, but it gets done, the house feels cleaner, and then it is so much easier to do a quick clean if needed for the unexpected drop in visits. There area also daily jobs that aren't on that list like dishes and sweeping and mopping the kitchen and wiping down the tables...

Now the trick is sticking to the schedule for us lol. That doens't happen often and we all regret it if we miss a day or two... but when we do stick to it, it's so nice! lol

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
It's tough, especially laundry for five, plus cloth diapers every other day or so. Between laundry, dishes and cooking it seems like I have time for nothing else. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Oh, and we are trying to get our house ready to sell, so we are purging like crazy. Less stuff = less mess!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmccoy
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I use fly lady, I also make sure dishes, landry and vacuuming are done daily. Helps a lot!!!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM
I'm having cleaning issues because me cleaning seems to inspire my 3 year old to make more and bigger messes. The other day the house was okay, but as I cleaned one room, he was causing havoc in another. The house ended up in worse shape than when I started lol.

Because of my LO, I need to tidy up every day, but yesterday I was working on the classroom instead so the livingroom was a mess. And wouldn't you know it, my dh's cousin called to say she was on her way over and would be here in 2 minutes. Aarghh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM
We work at it every day. I have spent the last month really, really deep cleaning and trying to get organized. My kids have gotten lazy in their chores and we need a shake up. I'm still working on that. My younger two are quite the problem so we need to start training them a bit, heaven help me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN