Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling with a newborn

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
Have any of you started homeschooling for the very first time with a newborn?
I am planning on homeschooling my oldest two, they will be going into 2nd and K. I will be having a baby any day now, so she won't be that old when we would start. I have never homeschooled before. I know I can do it, but I know this will be everyone's reason for me not to and I don't want them putting doubts in my mind.
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PEEK05
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I quit in the middle of my daughter being 3, turning 4.  It was too hard.  I also had a 1.5 year old at the time.  Now my daughter is 4 months and things are easy again, so we are starting up again in August. :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I have 7 children and have been in your place a few times. It was a little disconcerting at first but it got easier along the way. After I realized that I didn't need to adhere to any kind of a strict schedule. One of the best aspects of homeschooling is that you and your family can go at your own pace. If for instance, you need to run a few errands, you can stop schooling and take your kidswith you and school verbally on the way to yurdestination. Or just resume schooling when you get back. If you need to take a break for a few days, you can do so. Homeschooling is just schooling outside the box. You can start whenever you want and stop whenever you want. You do not have to be conventional at all. IHow you choose to handle having a baby and schooling is all up to you and your family. Period.. As you already stated, you CAN do this. We all have faith in you. :)
JadeTigr7
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Good advice. Wanted to add in that a sling or wrap helps a lot.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I did when my daughter started k. Honestly, I found it easier then now with him being a toddler. We did school between baby's naps, we read while rocking. We took a lot of little breaks instead of big ones. I would put baby in my moby wrap if I needed two hands. Because of sleepless nights we took naps after lunch. You can do this!!!!
Aleshad01
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I started homeschooling last year and had a baby in November. It wasn't bad at all. She slept a lot or I put her in a bouncer. My 2 year old is the one who made things difficult at times.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Homeschooling with a newborn was way easier than homeschooling while pregnant. I did NOTHING while preggo, and we rocked it after baby. I wore her a lot in a wrap or boba, breasted her so that was easy, and anything we didn't get done, we caught up on by the end of the school year. As a matter of fact, we finished in march this year instead of June like planned (and I had a baby, 3 year old and 7 year old).
You can do it. Just cut yourself some slack and know that if you aren't going as quickly as you'd like, you can easily catch up when you get your rhythm down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama.x3
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Thanks

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I have not but I did pull my oldest out of public school hen my youngest was 9 months old. We didn't start officially homeschooling until 6 months later in September to give my oldest time to adjust & deschool from the public school system.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)