Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you think I'm on the right track?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

I spend so much time in this group now, lol.  Here are my first three lessons for SOTW for my 5th and 6th graders, I plan to do a section of the book for each lesson and probably two or three lessons a week, sometimes more if they are into it and want to do history for longer.  Do you think this is good for this age?  I'm not sure yet if I will read aloud or if they will want to each read on their own or read to each other, or a combination of all three.

LESSON 1

READ: The Story of the World: Introduction, discuss and answer questions:

What is History?

What is Archaeology?

Check out this website (LP):  http://www.nps.gov/history/archeology/public/kids/index.htm#

DO (AB): Begin a "History of my Family" book, color/decorate the front cover, start listing the people you want to include.  Interview your sibling first.  Next, interview mom, dad, and Betsy.  Begin pages for Gram, Nana and Papa, and anyone else you would like to include, find a day and time to interview those people by phone or in person.

FUN DO: Mark off a section of our yard near the woods and perform an archaeological dig.

LESSON 2

READ: The Story of the World: pgs 7-9, discuss and answer questions:

What kinds of foods did nomads eat?

Where did they sleep?

Why did they move from place to place?

READ: It's disgusting-- and we ate it! Make a list of some of the most disgusting foods, foods you would like to try, or foods you have tried, think of your own list!

DO(EP): Take a tour of a cave here: http://www.lascaux.culture.fr/#/en/02_00.xml and write two paragraphs about what you saw.

FUN DO(EP): Go outside! Find a nice big rock, gather sticks or other things to paint with, and  berries, mud, flowers and other things to make into paint...make a cave painting!

LESSON 3

READ: The Story of the World: pgs 9-13, and The Complete History of the World pg 36 discuss and answer questions:

Why was the Fertile Crescent a good place to live?

Did farmers move from place to place? Why?

How did the farmers water the crops?

What did they build houses out of? 

How did they protect their villages?

DO: label and color map, include map key for colors.

FUN DO (AB p12): Build a hut in the backyard...or work on your fort in the side yard.

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM

This brings back great memories : ) Kinda makes me wish I had younger kids just so I could do SOTW again!! lol

Your plans look really solid. But I have a feeling that, given the ages of your kids, you may move a bit faster than what you have scheduled here. No biggie, you can adjust after the first week or so. If you do not want to move through the book faster, then I would suggest adding in more of the outside reference books like the Usborne Encyclopedias or something of that nature.

Have fun!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds a lot like ours when we did SOTW ancients :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:49 AM

BUMP for later

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
This. You look solid to me!

Quoting swim-mom72:

This brings back great memories : ) Kinda makes me wish I had younger kids just so I could do SOTW again!! lol

Your plans look really solid. But I have a feeling that, given the ages of your kids, you may move a bit faster than what you have scheduled here. No biggie, you can adjust after the first week or so. If you do not want to move through the book faster, then I would suggest adding in more of the outside reference books like the Usborne Encyclopedias or something of that nature.

Have fun!

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Looks good to me, looks about like what we are doing.  We are going to add in a few of the recommended books as well.  I like the activities you have planned.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I found a SOTW lapbook I am going to try with my kids but they are younger.  My oldest is 7 and getting it through a charter school so we are going to use it and do the lapbook for it. The one I found is for the first book.

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/p/story-of-world-resources-for-volume-one.html

Thats the website.  I dont know if your children being older would enjoy it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what I was going to say....

Quoting swim-mom72:

Have fun!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I'm ok with moving fairly quikly through it.  If we are moving too fast, I will definitely add more, I think things will come up that we want to look into further too.  I also want to add in some documentaries and stuff, there is so much work to do! lol

Quoting swim-mom72:

Have fun!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

How old are your kids?  I'm a little worried about this being for younger kids than mine, but I think if I supplement it it will work out well.

Quoting kmath:

Looks good to me, looks about like what we are doing.  We are going to add in a few of the recommended books as well.  I like the activities you have planned.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Did you happen to pin this on pinterest?  I just went on there and searched "story of the world" and this link came up pinned by "Debra M." which is funny because I am also "Debra M." lol.  I'm not sure my kids will really get into lapbooks, as much as I like them, we attempted one (while in PS though) and it didn't work out so well for them.  So I'm not sure, I might give them the choice after showing them what the lapbook looks like.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I found a SOTW lapbook I am going to try with my kids but they are younger.  My oldest is 7 and getting it through a charter school so we are going to use it and do the lapbook for it. The one I found is for the first book.

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.com/p/story-of-world-resources-for-volume-one.html

Thats the website.  I dont know if your children being older would enjoy it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN