Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any children being homeschooled during the summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

What does your summer home schooling curriculum looks like?

Come and join the fun at the:sunglasses mini

KymberleeAnn's Corner for African American Women

Or the Adorable Ladies group

www.cafemom.com/group/118327

www.cafemom.com/group/118542 Adorable Ladies Link

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
wowguildmomma
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:18 AM
1 mom liked this

second week of June is when we usually end but they end up doing busy work during their "off time". I have autism kids that thrive on their routine and freak if the day starts without their schoolwork. We basically have to enforce breaks teaching why taking a break and resting sometimes is just as important as getting thier school work done so as to avoid burn out. 

We love that they love learning so much but we are very avid about not overworking. We only allow 2 extracurricular per child (1 sport and their music lessons). I grew up watching my cousin suffer from the result of overworking with sports and schoolwork at a young age. It caused damage to the bones and joints in the hips and legs and now she has to walk with crutches for life cause it essentially killed the bone. 

But as to mine even though we offically start the 2nd week of july it will be light for the most part due to many many social events with the family during the time that thier cousins are out for summer. It kinda gives us a headstart so that we can take our vacation in the fall after most the crowds have thinned out. (which is part of why i really love homeschooling so much.)

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

You start back in July when does you school year end? If you don't mind me asking.

Quoting wowguildmomma:

I forced the kids to take june off so that i could do the remodle of DD room. but we start back 2nd week of july

KymberleeAnn
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Bump for your reply I'm going to read it a little later I'm going back to bed. Good night!

Quoting wowguildmomma:

second week of June is when we usually end but they end up doing busy work during their "off time". I have autism kids that thrive on their routine and freak if the day starts without their schoolwork. We basically have to enforce breaks teaching why taking a break and resting sometimes is just as important as getting thier school work done so as to avoid burn out. 

We love that they love learning so much but we are very avid about not overworking. We only allow 2 extracurricular per child (1 sport and their music lessons). I grew up watching my cousin suffer from the result of overworking with sports and schoolwork at a young age. It caused damage to the bones and joints in the hips and legs and now she has to walk with crutches for life cause it essentially killed the bone. 

But as to mine even though we offically start the 2nd week of july it will be light for the most part due to many many social events with the family during the time that thier cousins are out for summer. It kinda gives us a headstart so that we can take our vacation in the fall after most the crowds have thinned out. (which is part of why i really love homeschooling so much.)

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

You start back in July when does you school year end? If you don't mind me asking.

Quoting wowguildmomma:

I forced the kids to take june off so that i could do the remodle of DD room. but we start back 2nd week of july

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

We are doing Apologia's botany for science.  Teaching textbooks and life of fred for math.    We are finishing reading the world of chemistry which covers history and science.  We will probably be doing about 3 days per week.  My older son will probably be doing an online science program for physics.  Our train ride out west is probably going to be my favorite part of our curriculum this summer.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
No established curriculum but we school year round.

Oh but we do use Story of the World for history.
oredeb
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

none here till september

Momof697
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I think we are going to do a fun class with some neighbor boys. I was thinking either science or ettiquete (tea party) my boys love tea parties They have sisters that help them enjoy them. My boys could use some ettiquette and so could the neighbors. 

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

We've had to take significant chunks of time off over the last couple of years to keep DD on an even keel, so we're still doing schoolwork so she can start clean in the fall.

Right now, we plan to do Alg 2 through July to finish the book.

We have about 2 weeks left of US History.

Still need to finish American Lit - 1 more chapter in the short story unit, and 2 novel studies.

Write a research paper. (Aug)

Keep fiddling with Spanish and start playing with Latin.

And fun stuff - science center, kitchen chemistry, SCA, etc.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

DS is doing review on Math and LA and reading.  I am trying to find out exactly where he is at with everything so I know where to start us in August. 

KymberleeAnn
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM

That's wonderful that your children love to learn, I agree with you on the fact that homeschooling is so flexible I love it for that reason as well. Have a nice summer.

Quoting wowguildmomma:

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Quoting wowguildmomma:

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

We are.  We will be doing 3 days a week:  Math/History, Math/Science, Math/English.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)