Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any children being homeschooled during the summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

What does your summer home schooling curriculum looks like?

Come and join the fun at the:sunglasses mini

KymberleeAnn's Corner for African American Women

Or the Adorable Ladies group

www.cafemom.com/group/118327

www.cafemom.com/group/118542 Adorable Ladies Link

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
KymberleeAnn
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

That sounds really good.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We are.  We will be doing 3 days a week:  Math/History, Math/Science, Math/English.  

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I wanted to do summer homeschooling because we live next to a YMCA and summer camp there is very noisy with kids. I thought we could take some time off in the fall or winter when things were less noisy but my kids wouldn't go for it.

When I was a kid those long lazy summer days were bliss.

oredeb
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

hi susan, what do you require for a research paper ?

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We've had to take significant chunks of time off over the last couple of years to keep DD on an even keel, so we're still doing schoolwork so she can start clean in the fall.

Right now, we plan to do Alg 2 through July to finish the book.

We have about 2 weeks left of US History.

Still need to finish American Lit - 1 more chapter in the short story unit, and 2 novel studies.

Write a research paper. (Aug)

Keep fiddling with Spanish and start playing with Latin.

And fun stuff - science center, kitchen chemistry, SCA, etc.

SusanTheWriter
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

6-8 pages on a topic of interest, an analytical research paper, not argumentative.

At least 7 sources, at least 35 note cards, proper attribution, MLA style, endnotes (cuz footnotes are a PITA to format - we'll fight with those next year), bibliography.

Thesis statement, outline, rough draft and final draft.

I think she's doing it on Steampunk as an aesthetic, literary and social movement. I'm excited because she'll have to do some reading about the history of punk, a truly fascinating social development, and how Steampunk flowed out of it.

But, you never know. She might pick an entirely different topic. *gg*

Quoting oredeb:

hi susan, what do you require for a research paper ?

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

We've had to take significant chunks of time off over the last couple of years to keep DD on an even keel, so we're still doing schoolwork so she can start clean in the fall.

Right now, we plan to do Alg 2 through July to finish the book.

We have about 2 weeks left of US History.

Still need to finish American Lit - 1 more chapter in the short story unit, and 2 novel studies.

Write a research paper. (Aug)

Keep fiddling with Spanish and start playing with Latin.

And fun stuff - science center, kitchen chemistry, SCA, etc.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

The kids all have a summer workbook to work in till we start in full swing in the middle of July.  Each of the older girls charters start in August and Co-Op starts in Sept.  So we are just getting a jump start to that. 

I am going to use the stuff I bought in case I needed to school on my own and thier first choice did not work out.  But I dont think the younger two will be with a charter school when they start officially.  I will probably school them on my own, so I will probably copy stuff so we can use thier books for that. 

gratefulgal
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

We are finishing up the subjects one by one (geography was 2 weeks ago, language arts was today, spelling on Thursday, and Horizons math two weeks from yesterday.) As he finishes each I start him on fun worksheets or games, for geography we play games like "where in the world in carmen sandiego" and flags from around the world. I take what he could use extra practice on (I just kept track as we went through the year) and we will work just on that. We did MUS's Alpha. We will finish Horizons, then shortly after we will finish Alpha. I will start him right on beta, but will wait until late September before bringing in a new math with it. I really like the way MUS lays down the concepts and works the problems, but I need another math curriculum for the review and all the others (time, calendar, graphs, etc.). We school year round and usually take a week off three times a year as my DH gets them from work.
It's so tempting to just go outside and run around that I have to tell myself to chill out and enjoy life before it's over. It's not like it all has to be done today. lol :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Doing some schooling but keeping it low key.
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

We do Sonlight and will be starting Core B with DS and their pre-school with other DS next week(if I can get my stuff together).  If not, the next week for sure.  I am starting early because we are expecting and I want to try to get ahead so when baby gets here we won't fall hopelessly behind (if that makes sense).  LOL

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

We aren't doing anything this summer, and it feels great! 

vintage-misha
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Just math and unit studies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)