Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any children being homeschooled during the summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

What does your summer home schooling curriculum looks like?

Come and join the fun at the:sunglasses mini

KymberleeAnn's Corner for African American Women

Or the Adorable Ladies group

www.cafemom.com/group/118327

www.cafemom.com/group/118542 Adorable Ladies Link

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I didn't worry about school work the first month (or two) after my youngest was born, I figured there is nothing as educational as real life!

Quoting jwhit8791:

Thanks!  I am hoping to get at least 4 months under my belt before she gets here (and the chaos begins!)

I also need to work on getting my housework manuel done so that we can get into a routine with that also.  It is so haphard now that I need some definite precision routines.  LOL  With this being our fourth, I am afraid in those first few weeks, there won't be enough mommy to go around.

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Tal0n
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Mostly it looks like Chibi whipping thru math to get to grade level.

We purposely didn't push her at it, because I wanted her to avoid the trap I got caught in; not understanding at ALL what I was doing by the time I was in 5th grade.

Except for fractions (where I've always seemed to be some sort of savant) she's already ahead of me so far as actually understanding and applying.  She takes NOTES on her OWN for heaven's sake!!

We started her at 3rd grade level late last year to build her basics (plus she's dyslexic and still has trouble with time and analogue clocks...THAT went further back) she finished that and is 70% through 4th grade math and 5% through 5th grade math.  (She's required to do 4 skills in 4th grade and 1 in 5th grade and get 100%.)  We use IXL for math pretty exclusively because it fits her well and demands the perfection she demands for herself.

She also does alot of Free Rice during the summer...especially since they've added other categories.  She gets to brush up on her periodic table and anatomy, both of which she likes.

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the first year we have gone year round. We enjoyed taking days off this past school year. Didn't get so burned out with breaks. We will be done at the end of August and take Sept. off then start the next year in Oct. We already finished History, Spelling, so our day is fairly light. Adding in some Science projects for 4H and reading more literature.

amanda.lyn
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM
We do fun school, and summer programs like college for kids! And lots of reading...
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We like taking off time during the year, too!

Quoting Walnutgrovefarm:

This is the first year we have gone year round. We enjoyed taking days off this past school year. Didn't get so burned out with breaks. We will be done at the end of August and take Sept. off then start the next year in Oct. We already finished History, Spelling, so our day is fairly light. Adding in some Science projects for 4H and reading more literature.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Mine are.  We just started back up this week actually, after taking about 3 weeks off.  This week, as we were working back into it we just focused on math.  Next week we'll add history, English, music, astronomy and typing

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM

yeppers. Not sure what you mean by what the curriculum looks like. It is just same as it ever was or will be...

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM
We are still doing a little "sneaky" speech therapy, OT, prewriting workbooks and activities, early math, bible, music, and art. LO's speech and comprehension are blowing up right now, so I'm taking full advantage of it by slipping in more schooling every day, even Sundays. He's resistant to the speech therapy curriculum, so I have let him take some short breaks and I have also gotten creative about working it in. I'm learning I don't really care for workbooks, but they're kind of a necessary evil for our situation right now.

I've started pulling art and art history lessons from sources online, and he's had fun exploring different art media. Our experience over the last few weeks has got me searching for a good art curriculum to start in a couple of years. Fortunately, I know a number of local artists from my volunteering days, and most of them love fostering art appreciation in kids. That's another reason I am working so hard to get LO's speech up to snuff; he could gain so much more from exposure to the community if he could better interact with it.
Uniquecoolio
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Same. Just flew them down to fl to visit family. They'll be home tomorrow. Then we're going camping. Summer is for fun for us.

Quoting rsrangel:

We aren't doing anything this summer, and it feels great! 

arwalters
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:51 AM
1 mom liked this

ds is 4, we're working on bible study, crafts, phonics, and learning #s. I make my own curriculum with a couple workbooks and several ideas/worksheets I get free online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN