Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What was your favorite subject to teach last year?

Posted by   + Show Post
Or, if you are new to homeschooling, what are you most looking forward to teaching?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
lucsch
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I would read them in order. With the exception of "Farmer Boy", they are a continuous series in time. The order is

Little House in the Big Woods

Little House on the Prairie

Little House on Plum Creek

By the Shores of Silver Lake

The Long Winter

Little Town on the Prairie

These Happy Golden Years

The First Four Years

Farmer Boy would fit after Little House on the Prairie. That book is about Laura Ingalls Wilder's husband, Almanzo. I read all the other books aloud. My dd read Farmer Boy concurrently. We were running out of time. I was trying to read one per month, but we didn't quite make it.

A good book to read along, a practical science book, would be "The Pioneer Sampler."

Quoting Boobah:

My daughter LOVED Little house in the big woods. I'm trying to decide which to read next.

Quoting lucsch:

Teach? Math, of course! I love it!

My daughter's was my reading of the LIttle House books to her. She never read them, despite them being her in room before her birth (LOL) because she thought they would be boring, but by the end of the year she was upset that we were running out of books.

AJ-47
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Geography, Math, and Science. My Son loved each and looked forward to them most! And in Math, He went above and beyond..He's already working His way into multiplication. He loves His numbers!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Can I say...everything? lol
almondpigeon
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM
History is our favorite. The 4 yo sits in with his older sister & he got obsessed with mummies. It was so cute to watch him get so excited.
Aleshad01
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Science
ripemango
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Astronomy by far (and it's been more recent not nec just last year). She's really gotten into the time difference between locations. DH's best friend lives in Ireland and she loves saying stuff like it's dark here but the sun is over Ireland shining for him. "It's hot today, but really really cold on Mars." "Mars is the red planet". She asked me the other day, "do people in another country feel the Earth spinning?"

Due to her age, the astronomy thing is of course very very basic. We haven't discussed other galaxies yet so no mention of gamma-ray bursts :P

It's been my fav bc the questions that have come from her as a result and seeing through her eyes how she is taking all of this info in has just been so worthwhile.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I love learning everything so it has all be great.
firehorse13
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I love teaching all the core subjects :) My husband takes care of music, and art usually has mommy ready to cry with the mess and cotton balls/popsicle sticks glued to every surface of the house, but its fun :)

Davis05
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

music

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Science

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN