Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Start/Stop Dates

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:21 AM
  • 29 Replies

When do you plan to start this year?  What day to you end?  Do you get in 180 days?  HOw do you plan your rest/rehabilitation days?  Do you take off holidays like the regular schools or use them as teaching days.  For example, I don't see the purpose in taking a child out during Columbus or Martin Luther King Holidays cause it's the perfect time to educate them on the meaning of celebrating the Holiday.  We celebrate AFTER our lessons are over. 

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I haven't officially started hsing. This summer my son has done a little schoolwork 2-3 times a week. I'm going to start when ps starts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM

We homeschol year round.  We usually do our own set of holidays.  We take more days off in the spring and fall for the biblical feast dates.  I have never counted how many days we are doing but I am sure we get more than 180 days.  Most days like columbus or martn luther king are just like a normal school day to us.  I will mention them but don't make a big deal of them.  Sometimes we will do something special but it just depends.  We are studying botany this summer.  This week I am getting ready for my trip.  On July 8th we are boarding a train for MT.  We can't wait.  Our school will start next week.  I am spending a month out west.  We are going to be studying botany in another state.

rosiemarie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I do not home school. I was just wondering what are some reasons that parents decide to home school vs public school?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
You'll probably get more replies if you start a new post. Your question is actually pretty common.

Quoting rosiemarie:

I do not home school. I was just wondering what are some reasons that parents decide to home school vs public school?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM
We are starting Monday. We took June off. I plan to take a week off every 2 months give or take a week. We sometimes take a break from formal learning to explore something going on around us like a lesser holiday. Some times I just plan our week based on it.
rosiemarie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Thanks
kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

We are going to start in August.  We will take days/weeks off during the year.  Not sure exactly when though.  This is our first year so it just depends on how we feel and how we are doing.  I doubt we will take off days like Martin Luther King Day.  I agree those are great teaching days. 

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

All year round. Since I will need to turn in an attendance sheet. I do not include Satrudays, Sundays and Holidays. Lessons on Saturdays and Sundays are just reviews. I rest at the end of each day =)  sleep at around 9ish and wake up at 5:30 am feeling well rested. I've learned that quality sleep gives you more energy than caffeine but a cup of coffee or two won't hurt lol.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Year round, my state does not require me to keep track of how many days but I feel that long breaks are damaging to their learning, and also being year round gives us flexibilty to take extra time off during holidays or burn out periods. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

We started about the same time the local schools did and ended the same. We took a week off for the beach and two weeks during the winter holidays. We did not take little days off like Columbus day. We did try to take every Friday off from academics and do experiential things like field trips or park days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)