Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When do you plan to start this year?  What day to you end?  Do you get in 180 days?  HOw do you plan your rest/rehabilitation days?  Do you take off holidays like the regular schools or use them as teaching days.  For example, I don't see the purpose in taking a child out during Columbus or Martin Luther King Holidays cause it's the perfect time to educate them on the meaning of celebrating the Holiday.  We celebrate AFTER our lessons are over. 

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
oredeb
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

we start in september and end in may 30th, i dont know how many days we get never counted.

we dont take off holidays, well thanks giving we take a couple days off i guess, but we still have to plan and make the stuff for thanksgiving, and thats part of our school we think!  so i guess we really dont take any holidays off, if someone is sick they can still read or do work if they feel like it.

so the only days we dont do schooling are weekends and summers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Well, I usually take the summer off but this year I am still doing some schooling , just keeping it low key as we are also opening a new buusiness, looking for a house.
Aleshad01
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM
We start at the end of August and finish at the end of May. We take off the same days as the school here.
AJ-47
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I find out the dates for the elementary school closest to Us and go by those. It's mid-August to late-May.
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jul. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

We usually start the same time as PS but this year we are starting next week.  Trying to get a head start since we are expecting a baby in Nov and I am sure I will need a little down time to get adjusted after that.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM
We are learning all the time as unschoolers.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM

We just got out of ps on Friday (absurd,lol).  We plan to start the same week as our town, but they start the Wednesday after Labor day, we will just start on Labor Day or the next day.  We will end probably the end of May or beginning of June, depending how we do with meeting some of our goals for the year. 

I'm not really planning to take days off, we are only doing school probably 4 days a week, maybe have Friday to finish things up or go on a field trip.  I think we will take a couple weeks at Christmas because we do a lot of handmade gifts so we will want time for that.  But they can still do something some of the time, at least read or do a little math. 

Depending on DHs schedule, we will do school when he sleeps or works.  If he works 2nd shift then we won't start school until at least 2pm when he leaves.  If he works 3rd, then we will start around 11am probably, when he goes to bed. 

I agree that the holidays are the perfect time to learn about them, so we will definitely use those days to talk about them.  Some years I think that will fit better with our history plans.

I'm sure we will do 180 days, but we don't have to keep track of everything.  If I did though, I would already be keeping track and counting basically every day because I feel like every day we do something with educational value.

PEEK05
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

We are starting August 19th and ending May 9.  I am going to match it as closely as to my schooling as I can so we're all doing the same kind of things.  Of course we aren't going to be strict about it though, so if it doesn't end up that way, no biggie!

CJsMommy040506
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
This will be our first year. I haven't determined a start day as I am waiting to have funds for my son's reading/LA/spelling curriculum. I'd say when PS starts, the second week if August.
swim-mom72
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM

We school 4 days a week, almost year 'round. We take one month off for summer break, one week for Thanksgiving and 1 and a 1/2 weeks for Christmas.

Although our state does not require that we keep days, I do count them just as a gage for myself. I try to stay close to the 180 day mark, but most of the time we do around 200 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN