Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When do you plan to start this year?  What day to you end?  Do you get in 180 days?  HOw do you plan your rest/rehabilitation days?  Do you take off holidays like the regular schools or use them as teaching days.  For example, I don't see the purpose in taking a child out during Columbus or Martin Luther King Holidays cause it's the perfect time to educate them on the meaning of celebrating the Holiday.  We celebrate AFTER our lessons are over. 

by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Replies (21-29):
TheMommysLife
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM
We follow a pretty traditional school year since we do k12 curriculum.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM

We have a requirement of 172 days, so that's what I tell the district, though honestly we do more.  I have my oldest and youngest at home and my middle 3 in a charter, so we follow their schedule.  But we get to count fun stuff like our camping trip to Mesa Verde this fall as school since my son will be learning about Native Americans.  :)  We're going to casually start on August 1 with our field trip to Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM
We starting August 5th our last day is March 16 we are going to go have no school on the 38 day. Big test on the 37 day. Christmas we are taking of 24 to the 29 of December November we are taking off the 28. Ni school on the first of January. On our birthday no school.
Britty1987
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM
We're expecting a baby girl November 5thish so we're starting in August and taking time off for major holidays to visit family. We'll also take time off when the baby comes and during harvest, AI, and planting. Hopefully we'll be done before May
celticdragon77
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Start date: July 8th 2013

End date: June 20th 2014

7 weeks off a year - spread out. 4 weeks are planned off and 3 of them we take off as needed. 

We have 4 hrs a day / 4 days a week of "structured" learning time. 

On Fridays, we go the library, the park, farmers market, art galleries, and any field trips.

Other learning takes place as well. We read every night at bedtime for an hour, and they have an hour of computer time (educational/research) - every night of the week.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

We loosely follow the school calendar too, because it's nice to be out of school when their friends are, and that's when amusement parks, pools, etc are open. Also... mama needs a vacation too. ;)

We do 180 years, at least that I keep track of. We do more than that, but I don't bother tracking. I count M-F and once in awhile a Saturday, if we're doing a trip or something (like hiking in Mammoth Cave) where they are learning a bunch.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

We started about the same time the local schools did and ended the same. We took a week off for the beach and two weeks during the winter holidays. We did not take little days off like Columbus day. We did try to take every Friday off from academics and do experiential things like field trips or park days.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

We will start January 6th.  We will go for 6 weeks and then take a week off, and repeat.  We are going to try to finish up by the end of October.  If all goes as planned they will get an 11 week break not counting the other 5 weeks off during the year.  That amounts to about 4 mos not schooling in an entire year.  I think they may like this schedule. 

MacMamaof5
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM

You mean DAYS, right?  LOL!

Quoting hipmomto3:

We loosely follow the school calendar too, because it's nice to be out of school when their friends are, and that's when amusement parks, pools, etc are open. Also... mama needs a vacation too. ;)

We do 180 years, at least that I keep track of. We do more than that, but I don't bother tracking. I count M-F and once in awhile a Saturday, if we're doing a trip or something (like hiking in Mammoth Cave) where they are learning a bunch.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

LOL - mama must REALLY need a break!

Quoting MacMamaof5:

You mean DAYS, right?  LOL!

Quoting hipmomto3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN