Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your reason...

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 45 Replies
I am a mom of 2 dd and live in nj. Before kids i was a teacher public school teacher in NY. Funny thing is that I do not think I could ever teach my own children!!

We do not home school. We don't know anyone who does as I do not think it is common practice where I live.

So, I was wondering what are your reason for homeschooling?
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM
We have several reasons but here are a few:
1. PS wasn't a good fit for my oldest. She needed to move faster than the school allowed. Also, they wanted to keep her in her failing class to pull up the average test scores. I think a lot of that was the teacher, though. My dd was getting bored and she was getting stressed out by the bad behavior of the rest of the class. She likes order in all things.
2. My husband worked mostly 2nd so she never saw him. Homeschooling allows for a great quantity of family time. We had kids to see and enjoy them, not only have a few hurried hours in the evening.
3. It feels unnatural to our family unit to not be together the majority of time.
4.The kids can explore their interests. They can learn the way they need to learn. They can move at their own pace and they can do it in half the ps day.
That is the short list since I'm on my phone I can't really go into our choices too much. Maybe homeschooling is something you might want to try?
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
1. Violence in our public schools
2. Neglect from school officials
3. Lack of education in public school
4. Lack of morals and ethics
RheaF
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

If you really looked, I bet you would be surprised at the number of homeschoolers in your area. I know in ours(DE), before homeschooling I didn't know any homeschoolers. Once we really go tinto it though, we found that the homeschooling community here is huge!

Here are a few of our reasons.....

We believe that this is what God has called our family to do.

Our local public schools are not the best. Not only do you hear reports of drugs being pushed in the elementary schools, sex in the bathrooms, and bullying. You also have a seriously lacking curriculum. We teach a traditional curriculum (Abeka, BJU Press, and Apologia). My DD is going into the third grade and can do work that is on the 5-6 grade level according to our local schools.

DS has ADHD, and possible Aspergers. We have no desire or need to medicate him at this point. If he were to go into PS though, he would have to be medicated. I have seen it happen to a few friends whose children have ADD/ADHD. They were bullied into medicating their children. Yes, it is illegal, but it does happen.

The opportunity I have to be with my children. To be involoved on a level I would be if they were gone 8-9 hours a day everyday. I absolutly cherish the moments I have with them. Watching them grow, learn, and play.

We have so many opportunities that we would not have if they were in public school. Co-ops, field trips, etc.

My children can learn in a way that is best for THEM. There is no one size fits all education. Every child learns differently. With homeschooling, I am able to learn how my children learn, and I can cater the curriculum to that.

Homeschooling is what works best for my family, and we fully intend to do it till the kids graduate high school. With that said, I understand it is not for everyone. I respect other's decisions, just as I would want mine respected.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

My reasons for homeschooling have nothing to do with public schools. I know that's the motivation for some, but I think a reaction out of fear is not good - we choose it because it's BETTER, not because the alternative is bad. Hope that makes some sense.

-I love my children and want what is best for them. Homeschooling allows me to provide them with individualized learning, maximized time, and enrichment activities not available in other school settings.

-I love my children and want to be with them. I'd miss them terribly if they were away for 35-40 hours a week! 

-It's a good fit for our family because we have tremendous flexibility in everything from what we eat to when they wake up to when we take vacations. Our time is truly OUR time, and we are not enslaved to an arbitrary school calendar.

SusanTheWriter
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I have one homeschooled and one in public school, so I don't really have anything against public schools.

My DD was a freshman in high school when we pulled her out. She was in crisis mode and we needed to take the time to do some major emotional/psychological healing for her before she could get back to academics. We're finishing up her sophomore year now and she's sooooo much better than she was, but I'm keeping her home for one more year to be certain she's on solid ground.

My DS is in public school and he's just a much steadier kid. One of those children who blooms wherever he's planted. He's socially active, involved in school activities, and doing well academically. It's not broken, so there's nothing to fix. :)

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

DS doesn't fit the "one size fits all" teaching style that PS's use. We can go at his pace and learn how HE learns best.

We get more time together and aren't constrained by a school schedule.

It is what is best for us.

oredeb
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

are you interested in homeschooling rosiemarie?

Momof697
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My number 1 reason why I do what I do is (drum roll please) Because I know that is what God wants for our family.   My Dh also supports the idea. We never really taalked about school I assumed and he assumed we would homeschool and neither 1 of us was homeschooled.  

Other than that I would also list the same as rust n gears above and add 1 more due to where we live My kids would be gone for longer than most adults are at work for.   They would have an hr buss ride both ways besides the 8 hrs they are at school. KDGTN all the way through high school are there the same amount of time.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM
We started homeschooling because my oldest is advanced at the least, gifted at the best. We had her in public kindergarten, her teacher was awesome just could not handle her. We moved in Feb. of that year and after fighting the school system and not really getting much help to challenge her, I decided to finish the year with k12. At the end of the school year I asked my dd what she wanted to do. She said she could go back to public school (talking about a class). When asked why she said because parents send their kids to school to get a break and she enjoyed helping the other kids. I explained school was suppose to be a place to learn not childcare and she said she needed to stay home then.

My other 3 stay home because they have yet to choose to go to public school, though my son does want to go to preschool. He is 4 and still has potty problems so if he chooses I will try, but he has to continually not poop on himself
rosiemarie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM

No I do not think so.  I was a teacher for many years but do not think I could teach my own!  I know werd right!

Quoting oredeb:

are you interested in homeschooling rosiemarie?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN