Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a mom of 2 dd and live in nj. Before kids i was a teacher public school teacher in NY. Funny thing is that I do not think I could ever teach my own children!!

We do not home school. We don't know anyone who does as I do not think it is common practice where I live.

So, I was wondering what are your reason for homeschooling?
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I homeschool our oldest because he needs more than they could ever give and it was beyond a negative experience by this winter.  You would think I'd have recognized it earlier, but this was not a natural thing for me.  I have 3 others in ps and my youngest is at home (he's 4).  I've always "homeschooled" my kids for preschool.  I put that in quotes because I don't really believe they need education that young, just experiences and materials.  We did actively teach colors and such, though less and less by the time the 5th came around and my oldest was not yet 6.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

My gifted, precocious dd's love of learning was squelched in school.  She was bored and fidgety and one teacher was sure she had ADHD (she doesn't).  She tested into a gifted academy, but seemed to be just going through the motions.  I researched other options and homeschooling piqued my interest.  I let her make the final decision.  She homeschooled from 3rd to 8th grade and now goes to a specialized performing arts high school in NYC.  

Homeschooling gave me my dd back.  She slowly but surely regained her enthusiasm and passion for learning.  She was mostly in control of her own learning - with me as facilitator and provider of resources.  She willingly printed out worksheets, was part of a book club, geography club, creative writing class, and the list goes on and on.  Nothing was coerced and she blew my mind with her interests and abilities.  

Ds also chose to homeschool and he is now 12 and a rising 7th grader.  He loves it and just like his sister, learns incredibly fast and efficiently.

And by the way, my kids never lacked a ton of friends.  We also go on 1 or 2 field trips every week - we live in NYC, so it's easy to find something cool to explore.  

My children and I have never regretted homeschooling for a second.  It's the most incredible adventure and the kids get to enjoy their childhood while still being way ahead of the curve.  There are over 3000 homeschooling families in my town.  It's a mainstream option around here.  Even the museums, science centers, and zoos are on board with homeschool classes and discounts.  Homeschoolers also get free Metrocards (subway/bus passes) just like the public schoolers do.  

So, the bottom line for me as to why we homeschool - the curriculum is tailored right to the child, there is freedom to actually be a kid, there is lots of time for pursuing interests, the world is right there at our doorstep to explore and learn from, and my homeschooled children are the ones who are out in the real world interacting with real people and living a real life.  It's the kids holed up in a government building all day with it's artificial society and prison-like formation and rules who are not in anything that even resembles the real world.  

Angela

dd(19) Internship in Manhattan, dd(16) Junior at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(12) 6th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

rosiemarie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM
My interest has be peeked

Is there a site that I could get a good feel for the homeschooling program....I know I think there are more then one??
JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

We've been homschooling for 5 years and our reasons have grown, however our original reason was that since my husband is in the army we wanted to give our kids as much stability as possible.  We move every couple of years, and I didn't want my kids in and out of schools who may or may not be teaching the same things and have my kids end up lost in the cracks somewhere.

Since then I've come to love teaching my own children, and now with common core being implemented I don't think the public school could do my kids justice. 

rosiemarie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I was wondering why you do not feel public school can do justice now that common core is being implemented??

Quoting JadeTigr7:

We've been homschooling for 5 years and our reasons have grown, however our original reason was that since my husband is in the army we wanted to give our kids as much stability as possible.  We move every couple of years, and I didn't want my kids in and out of schools who may or may not be teaching the same things and have my kids end up lost in the cracks somewhere.

Since then I've come to love teaching my own children, and now with common core being implemented I don't think the public school could do my kids justice. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

My kids were miserable at our "very good" public schools and begged me. I couldn't afford private school or, for my oldest some kind of "tough love" school so I tried it. I'm so glad I did.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Common core is dumbing the curriclulum down to the lowest common denominator.  My kids learn very quickly, just like me, and I was always supressed in my education while in school.

I feel bad for kids in school now who learn like me but are not allowed to learn as fast as they have the ability to. 

Quoting rosiemarie:

I was wondering why you do not feel public school can do justice now that common core is being implemented??

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol - most of us are firmly ANTI common core.

If anything, it solidifies my decision to keep my children home.

Quoting rosiemarie:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM
3 moms liked this

One doesn't NEED a reason to homeschool. For too many years, parents have been taught that public school is the only option, when in reality it is simply an OPTIONAL government service, that you are free to take or leave.

We homeschool for the following "reasons":

1. We prefer a faith based education. We are Catholic. We would like our children's education to reflect that. There is no deny that, statistically, Catholic schools across the country turn out children with higher test scores, and statistically produce higher numbers of children completing college, and spend less money per pupil to do so, than their public school counterparts... for whatever reason. We choose not to send our children to local Catholic schools for various reasons (one being that our daughter is dyslexic and most Catholic schools, being non profit, haven't the resources to help; the other reasons largely resting on the decision of many Catholic schools to adopt the common core standards).

2. The ability to tailor our children's education to their individual needs.

3. To provide a rigorous, college preparatory education for our children, while nurturing their emotional needs in the place best suited for that - the home.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AJ-47
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I Homeschool my Son because my state's school system is crap. He cannot get a decent education at those schools, and gets a damn good education at home with me (He's advanced, as well). When We finally move, I'll no longer Homeschool (sigh).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)